ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 05:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Other IT certifications
| |-+  CWNP
| | |-+  tips from my CWNA exam
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: tips from my CWNA exam  (Read 2036 times)
asvoboda

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2003, 07:42:32 PM »

Passed the CWNA today with a 76% on my first try.  Some questions from the test that I'm still not sure of the answers:

Which tree does RF have the hardest time penetrating?  Birch, Pine, Maple, Oak

Which has more of a problem with interference?  11Mps DSSS, 1Mps DSSS

Which are the MANDATORY 802.11a data rates?  Had to choose three from 6,12,18,24 Mps

Which multipath is 180 degrees out of phase?  upfade, downfade, signal degradation

FIPS-197?  Is this related to Rijndael algorithm?

Is VPN configured on client?

Is FHSS hop rate sent in the clear?

Not one question on DCF/PCF or SIFS/DIFS/PIFS - only one simple RF math question.

Just for a point of reference, I have zero experience with wireless.  I used the CWNA study guide, and knew it by heart.  I used the Boson trial exam (only a few questions in the trial version) and the TestKing exam - but be careful with the TestKing exam, it had a lot of wrong answers and no explanations for answers.  I think it did more harm than good.  I spent one month studying.

Hope this helps someone,
A. Svoboda - B.S. Computer Science, A+, Network+, i-Net+, CWNA
wildscribe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 01:35:21 PM »

Congratulations on the pass and thanks for the tips. Interesting "tree" question. I have to remember that one.

- - - WiLd
asvoboda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 10:53:28 PM »

Yeah, I don't remember anything about the types of trees from the CWNA study guide.  It appears pine is the answer...the softest wood...
Daharmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 09:08:11 AM »

Effective May 26, 2002, the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) FIPS 197 http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/ will replace the Data Encryption Standard (DES) FIPS 46-3. From the above link, users can learn more about the new standard, read the press release, join an AES discussion forum, and access test values and code. AES is based on the Rijndael encryption formula and has been in the works since 1997 when the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) began a contest to determine the best encryption algorithm. The new standard is compulsory and binding on Federal agencies for the protection of sensitive, unclassified information. This new robust encryption standard replaces the aging DES standard, which was developed in the 1970s. A copy of FIPS 197 is available electronically from the NIST web site at: http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/index.html/
asvoboda

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 02:39:04 PM »

Thanks Daharmaster, good find!  I was right then...yay me!
Daharmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 02:07:42 AM »

I hate it when exams do this , asking questions that you must go and scroll through the whole damn web , to find answers for ,as they were never mentioned in the book. No wonder people are braindumping , because this was nowhere to be found in any of my 3 wireless books that I had lying around

Here's some 802.11 a info

The 802.11a standard is quite different from its 802.11b counterpart. Among 802.11a's characteristics:

A wide variety of high data rates are available: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54 Mbps.6, 12, and 24 Mbps are mandatory for all products.

Operating frequencies fall into unlicensed national information structure (U-NII) bands at 5.15 to 5.25 GHz, 5.25 to 5.35 GHz, and 5.725 to 5.825 GHz. This provides plenty of bandwidth to support the higher speeds. In the US, the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47, Section 15.407, regulates these frequencies.

Maximum output power is 40 mW for products operating at 5.15 to 5.25 GHz, 200 mW for 5.25 to 5.35 GHz, and 800 mW for 5.725 to 5.825 GHz.

The physical layer uses orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) for modulating data before transmission. A combination of binary and quadrature phase shift keying (BPSK and QPSK) provide the different data rates.

Forward error correction (convolutional coding) compensates for an errored packet without the need for retransmission. FEC reduces overhead when noise or interference causes bit errors.

Some news for future exam takers Look here , Maybe Planet 3 will give us a fighting crack at this exam

"McGRAW-HILL/OSBORNE MEDIA TO DISTRIBUTE CWNA STUDY GUIDE
Planet3 Wireless, Inc. and McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media have
signed an agreement whereby McGraw-Hill/Osborne will distribute
The CWNA Official Study Guide into retail outlets worldwide.
 The book, published by Planet3 Wireless last February, has
been updated and re-branded to reflect the McGraw-Hill/Osborne
relationship, and will be available in stores February 18,
2003.  The newly updated book is available for immediate
delivery from the CWNP Online Store, and UPS ground shipping
is free within the continental U.S.  To find out more visit:

http://www.cwne.com/products/CWNASGPRINT.html"

Enjoy
dot11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 04:43:59 PM »

I took my exam yesterday.  I studied the CWNE guide heavily, took all three prectice tests, and have been doing wireless and 802.11 for several years.

First of all, there were quite a few questions on Home RF; probably seven questions on this topic, which is barely mentioned in the guide and barely used in the world.

There were very few of the sample test questions on the real test.

There were some very fuzzy questions about what 'should' be included in a site survey, some items that are definitely not right or wrong.  

It's almost as if the actual test was written by a different organization than that which wrote the guide.
The Cert Sage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 05:32:03 PM »

Bummer!:mad:

MCSE, MCDBA, CNA, A+, Network+, I-NET+, CIW Security Analyst Professional, MCSA

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion.
meijin2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 05:53:03 PM »

I am going for my test this week. Can you recommend any areas to hit hard?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael
The Cert Sage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 01:03:32 AM »

let us know how you did!

MCSE, MCDBA, CNA, A+, Network+, I-NET+, CIW Security Analyst Professional, MCSA

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: