pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  !!! I've got an interview !!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: !!! I've got an interview !!!  (Read 2658 times)
foster_dchi

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2002, 11:34:30 PM »

I'm graduating next May, but I decided to start sending out my resume early to feel things out a bit. Luckily, I got a call back and now I have an interview next Thursday.

The job is for a desktop support position at a local manufacturing plant. Unfortunately, its only part-time and night shift... on the weekends!!! So its not the perfect job, but I figure its worth a shot.

Since I've never had an IT interview, what sort of things can I expect? Whats the best way to prepare?

Currently, I have my A+ and MCP (W2K) certs and I had a summer internship in desktop support.

"a dancing Jesus... if there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
-Homer Simpson
RichardJW
Temporarily banned until the cure if found

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 01:25:56 PM »

Sounds to me like you don't want the job. What is the most valuable way you can spend your time: this job where you can place the time spent on your resume? Or the continuation of your studies?
CoffeeFreak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 07:14:04 PM »

if your a entry-level guy you would be stupid not to take this, most guys would kill just to have a chance to get some real experience...
Since your still going to school, wouldn't weekends be the perfect job anyway...?
with desktop support you don't have a HUGE responsibility, so it would be a good PT..

-A.A.S., working on BS
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 10:48:46 AM »

Good Luck

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 02:26:51 PM »

Good news foster_dchi.  It will be great work experience to add to your resume, and in the long run, though the night shift/weekends may not be your most favorite, the noted experience will really put you ahead of other entry-level candidates when you finish university.

As for prep:

1. "Dress for success".  I don't know that a suit is required, but wear a tie, slacks, etc., and be neat and color coordinated.  Image is a strong first impression.  

2.  Be attentive to your body language.  Make lots of eye contact.  Stand up straight.  Walk and sit confidently.  Yet be relaxed as well.  Interviews can be nerve-wracking, but do you're best to convey confidence and self-control.

In addition, technical ability, likely, will not be the only thing observed by the interviewee, they will be watching how "friendly", or approachable, you are.  Desktop Support involves heavy interaction with "clients", so if your prospective employer is attentive, they will be evaluating how you treat people.

3.  It's hard to pinpoint what types of questions you will be asked.  Probably a couple will be "techie" oriented, and others will be situational evaluations.  
    What I mean by "situational" here would be things like "Give me an example of a major project you were involved in, and how did you play a part?", "Where do you plan to be in five years?", "How have you handled a conflict with a co-worker, or fellow student?", "What other interests (aside from IT) do you have?" etc..  I think many times such questions are used to determine your personality, and how you work or your experiences.  So, think about big projects on which you've worked - perhaps during your internship, reflect on conflict areas with other workers or users and how you took initiative to resolve them.  With most of these questions there will likely not be a "right" answer as much as just the interviewer assembling more data about you.    
   Most importantly, try not to have some lengthy pause while you try to remember an answer to the query. If you are trying to get your bearings, ask for more clarification to buy a bit of time.

4.   You may find yourself interviewing first with an HR person who will just be getting more general info from you and providing you with general info about the company.  You may have to fill in an appication while there, so come prepared with references, addresses, etc. to fill out an application.  

5.   Bring along a few hard copies of your resume, in case the interviewee(s) have left the email at their desk. Offer the copies early in the interview, so even if they don't need it, they'll know you came prepared.

6.   Throughout the interview Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions.   Don't wait to be prompted by the interview, take the initiative.  Ask about the products the company manufactures.  Ask about how many people are in their IT department.  Ask about the software/hardware (more specifically related to PCs in your case) they use in their environment. Ask about future rollouts/projects.  I'm amazed at how few people seem to ask questions, particularly when the opportunity is provided by the interviewer.  You don't know much about the interviewer, the manager, the IT dept., etc.  Now is a good time to find out.  In the asking you may find that even if the job is offered to you, you won't want it.

Sorry for all the info, and I'm sure I missed some.  The interviewer will not be expecting you to be perfect, but honesty, approachability, and knowledge will be important.
CoffeeFreak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 05:45:43 PM »

darth got it all,
i look at an interview not only them makeing sure that i'm a decent guy but also Me making sure i'm not working for a bunch of A**holes....  Keep this in mind and definitely ask as many questions about the company as possible so the company knows your interested, but also give some facts so they know you did your homework as well.

-A.A.S., working on BS
Spides
Never stop a volunteer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 12:14:50 AM »

Darthw pretty much covered it very well. One last point though, even though it may not be relevant to yourself, but could be to others. Never, ever and I mean ever bag or run down your present or last employer. I have seen an ideal guy, who would of got the job, and it would of been one hell of a pay rise, blow the interview on basically describing is last employers as dick heads!!

lena0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 12:36:17 PM »

They may also ask you technical IT questions also.

Such as items that are in Control panel. Also some basic troubleshooting questions and how to's. I would cover the basic's

Be happy that you have a shot at this job and take it if you get it. If you attend a party school they have parties too during the weekdays also:) Just kidding. I would take this job just think what counts is
experience experience experience!!!!!!!!!!! These days if you do not have it in the IT field now at this time you may be totally screwed. I can say I am god dang happy I did take the time to get a IT job while attending college or I would be totally screwed when I graduate in this economy. I have a totally of almost 5 yrs in IT experience and boy has it has paid off even through I still do not have my degree yet. But hey I am only 24 and I am still working on it and almost done. Yahoo!!

Seniors RULE Smiley  Smiley  Smiley YA!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 12:42:46 PM by lena0 » Logged
foster_dchi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2002, 12:10:53 AM »

Thanks for all of the advice (especially Darth for the long post). The interview is tomorrow at 6pm so I'm browsing through some desktop support sites to brush-up a bit. Wish me luck...

"a dancing Jesus... if there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
-Homer Simpson
RichardJW
Temporarily banned until the cure if found

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2002, 08:08:57 AM »

Good Luck. Let us know.
eiiko

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2002, 03:47:31 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks.

im in the same situation and you all covred the whole situation very well.  i can see that some of you have been through this once or twice. i just got out of school and its been quite the challege to find a decent job. (In Canada anyway)

anyway,  thaks again.Smiley
foster_dchi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 09:51:59 PM »

The interview went well, but I haven't heard anything yet. It mostly consisted of questions about the experience listed on my resume (desktop support internship and 1st level email support). They were really insterested in troubleshooting network connectity (ping/tracert), printer issues, and customer service. Surprisingly I got none of the standard interview questions.

I can almost say for sure that my MCP (Win2k Pro) and A+ cert gave me a huge boost over the competition. I got a chance to talk with one of the technicians who sat in on the interview and he said that I have everything they are looking for and my chances look good.

I mentioned the fact that computer games such as Doom were the reason I started tinkering with computers. Upgrade the video card, throw in some more memory, and before you know it, you're building your own machines and fixing anything that comes your way. I guess to truely test me, the technician asked me what is the Doom networking port. I think my answer (666) surprised him and hopefully put me on his good side.

Hopefully I'll hear soon and everyone here will be the first to know.

-Homer Simpson
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 10:44:10 PM »

Any news yet?  Good on the Doom port; I wouldn't have gotten it correctly, or I would have guessed "666" in jest.
thecomeons
infrequent visitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2002, 11:58:23 AM »

any news, foster?

i couldn't get it up until i visited examnotes.net
foster_dchi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2002, 02:03:46 PM »

Not yet, still waiting. I've heard its better the longer they take, but we'll see.

-Homer Simpson
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: