pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-221
| | | |-+  Anyone else taking 221?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone else taking 221?  (Read 1901 times)
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2002, 03:57:37 PM »

Wow - this forum is very quiet!  I've decided to take what I got from 216 and apply it to the 221 and finally end this MCSE trek quickly.

Who's taken this one lately?

Who's planning to take this one eventually?

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
---------------------------------------
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
CruelSpecies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 05:26:22 PM »

I did 221  a couple of months ago.   Exam wasn't too bad.  If you did well in 216 this one is easy.  Just make sure you understand how to integrate SNA and UNIX with Windows and how many of each type of server (DHCP,DNS etc) you need.  Get that and you have passed. Well almost.

Good luck.
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 06:58:42 PM »

In typical fashion, I have stalled in my studies Sad   I have taken a few weeks off and now I will immerse myself in the 221 text book and my 221 TestOut module and finally end this quest towards the MCSE.  I felt pretty good walking out of 216, but with a score sheet only showing "PASS", one never truly knows if you just passed or if you knew the information solid.  I felt prepared going in and elated coming out. Wink

Catch y'all later - I got 13 more chapters to read

chodan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 09:22:18 PM »

If you made it passed 216 then you will do ok on this one.
 You'll have to get into "case study mode"
 But you have plent of time in the test and if prepared properly the case studies will lead you to the correct answers.
 I took it over a year ago before 216 and I found 216 more difficult than 221.

Check out my music at
www.chodan.com
Rural Development in Eastern Ky.
www.centertech.com
 "It is our decisions that show us what we truly are in life, not our abilities."
Zaraspook

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 08:20:03 PM »

Hey Pavlov, just wanted to let you know that this one isn't too hard at all. In fact, it was fun. It's like, heres the network, I must have at least these capablilities, here's the budget, now what's the best way to design it?

You will learn good stuff about Arrays, DNS Round-Robin, WINS spoke and hubs, Clustering, Network Load Balancing, Firewalls, Screened Subnets or DMZ zones, Proxy Servers, SNA servers and mainframes, VLANs and different network topologies and how and when to use each. How to optimize for load balancing, failover, fault-tolerance, performance, and availability is another big priority. All good stuff! A lot of the material is a review of the 216 from a design perspective.

I actually enjoyed this one. I think you will too. Unfortunately, when I took the exam it had changed to just pass fail, but I thought it was a very straight forward exam. Best of luck!

Due to financial problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut down until further notice.
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 12:49:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not afraid of this test at all.  I actually think I prefer the case study format.  Was there much in the way of subnetting - VLSM and supernetting?  Still got 6 chapters to read and an exam date rapidly approaching.

Spid
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2002, 01:42:43 PM »

Hey Pav,

Let me know how this goes for you.  I'm currently studying for the 216 and am very interested in taking this one as my design elective.  I'll probably take this one right after 216.

Keep me posted when you have the time.

Thanks!

"I was planning to take over the world, but got distracted by something sparkly..."
Zaraspook

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2002, 10:17:11 PM »

Originally posted by Pavlov
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not afraid of this test at all.  I actually think I prefer the case study format.  Was there much in the way of subnetting - VLSM and supernetting?  Still got 6 chapters to read and an exam date rapidly approaching.

On my exam, one of the case studies, had both VLSM and supernetting, but nothing too complicated.

Due to financial problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut down until further notice.
Zaraspook

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2002, 10:32:04 PM »

Originally posted by Spid
Hey Pav,

Let me know how this goes for you.  I'm currently studying for the 216 and am very interested in taking this one as my design elective.  I'll probably take this one right after 216.

Thanks!

Spid, I would advise preparing for these two exams together, because a lot of the stuff presented in the 221 study material ended up on my 216 exam, like WINS hub and spokes, DNS round-robin, proxy servers, DMZ zones, configuring DHCP 50/50 and 80/20 rules, etc. There's a lot of overlap between the two. Just a word to the wise!

Spid
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 06:21:50 AM »

Originally posted by Zaraspook

Spid, I would advise preparing for these two exams together, because a lot of the stuff presented in the 221 study material ended up on my 216 exam, like WINS hub and spokes, DNS round-robin, proxy servers, DMZ zones, configuring DHCP 50/50 and 80/20 rules, etc. There's a lot of overlap between the two. Just a word to the wise!

Thanks a lot for the advise Zaraspook!  I think I'll do that.

"I was planning to take over the world, but got distracted by something sparkly..."
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 08:01:51 PM »

originally posted by Spid
Hey Pav,
Let me know how this goes for you. I'm currently studying for the 216 and am very interested in taking this one as my design elective. I'll probably take this one right after 216.

Look for an update tomorrow afternoon, Spid.  I'm scheduled to take this test tomorrow morning.  I can tell you after reading both the 216 and the 221 books that there is a bunch of overlap and you can probably eliminate 4 or 5 chapters from 221 if you spend the time properly preparing for 216.  With that said, we'll see how well the resources I had served me.  I used the MS Press Training kit and the 221 Transcender, and a bunch of articles from TechNet.

Wish me luck.... :eek:

michaelho2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 10:48:07 PM »

I have passed 70-216 2 days ago. Hope me I can become MCSE after pass this test
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: