pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 01:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange server 2000
| | | |-+  70-214
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 70-214  (Read 3043 times)
mconnolly

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2002, 11:00:10 PM »

Today I recieved an e-mail for a new beta test 70-214(installing and admin of w2k security)  I was wondering if anyone has some experience taking a MCSE beta test, that they would like to share

Thanks
RUSH2112
Certified Test Taker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 09:46:34 AM »

I also got an email to take the beta exam.  It is free, so what the heck.

"Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies, but most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be.  Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it,  for you the blind who once could see,  the bell tolls for thee...."     Losin' It
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2002, 12:55:08 PM »

Me too!...I'm going to give it a bash if I get the time. I believe that you sit the complete pool of questions - can anyone enlighten me on that?Huh

Andy C
CCNP, CCVP, CCDA, CQS (WLANSE, WLANFE, Unity Support, IPT Design, IPT Express , IPCC Express, IP Communications Express, CallManager Express), JNCIS-M #1027, JNCIS-FWV #311, F5CSE, CCSE NG, MCSE NT4/2K, MCSE:Messaging, ITIL, A+
ineuman
Devoted 2 Teach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 10:52:57 AM »

have some material for it me know if let you want it...

Regards,

Ineuman

Ingrid Jane Neuman
Cheesy "Be cool stay in school"
www.balboaacademyweb.org/neuman.htm
Smokeey13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 12:43:47 PM »

Did you say you have some material on the 70-214.. If you do.. please send someof that my way.. smokeey13@aol.com   I would appreciate that very much.. I got that beta invite email also and am thinking about going to take it.. that would help loads thanks.

Today's Market is really tough.. Never stop learning.. There is ALWAYS someone better than you.
jonmg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 01:42:32 AM »

Originally posted by ineuman
have some material for it me know if let you want it...
Regards,
Ineuman

I also read that you had some material on 70-214 beta exam If you do.. please send some of that my way.. I jonmg@sympatico.ca I would appreciate that very much.. I got that beta invite email also and wanna write it i need it to get my MCSA Cert.

Thanks Jon

Earning is fast and fun with Free Store Club! Get an online SUPER STORE FREE! Start saving BIG! Start earning BIG! It's NEW, FREE, and HOT!

Free Store Club
mconnolly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2002, 10:12:19 PM »

Well I took teh 70-214 beta test today, and I will tell you that with the number of times the Bruno at Contoso was having problems, I'm not sure i would want to be arround him.  the test gave you 180 min to answer 90 questions.  It seemd like such a long time. and now I have to wait for 8 weeks after the the beta is done.all I can say is there were alot of questions on certificates, GPOs, encryting file systems, and how to fix what Bruno had screwed up.  Basicly a typical day at the office.

And I would like to thank Ineuman very much for the nice document, I shared it with a few coworkers and they were impressed with it as well.  Thans again.
Matt
ineuman
Devoted 2 Teach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 10:06:50 AM »

Security Operations Guide for Windows 2000 Server
Topics on this Page

Are you looking for ways to lock down Windows 2000 Server and minimize vulnerabilities?
Are you looking for best practices on effectively managing patches?
Are you looking for guidance on auditing and intrusion detection?
If you answered yes to these questions, this resource is for you. The Security Operations Guide for Windows 2000 Server delivers the guidance necessary for IT Pros to securely operate a Windows 2000 environment while ensuring the right access to the right content by the right people. This guide delivers procedures and best practices for system administrators to lock down their Windows 2000-based servers and maintain secure operations once they're up and running. Through effective use of Group Policy, proper patch management, and auditing and intrusion detection tactics, this guide provides administrators with the key information to manage risk of attack from avoidable malicious code (such as viruses and Trojan horses), unauthorized access, and data theft. Cosponsored by the Windows group, this guide is part of the Windows Strategic Technology Protection Program (STPP). The STPP is split into two primary phases: "Get Secure" and "Stay Secure". This guide briefly discusses Get Secure with server lockdown roles, and then focuses on the Stay Secure aspects.
Symantec has created a parallel guide showing how to use their tools to implement the best practices described in this guide at: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/
Content/security.articles/security.fundamentals.html.
Chapters    

Chapter 1 Introduction
   Chapter 2 - Understanding Security Risk
   Chapter 3 - Managing Security with Windows 2000 Group Policy
   Chapter 4 - Securing Servers Based on Role
   Chapter 5 - Patch Management
   Chapter 6 - Auditing and Intrusion Detection
   Chapter 7 - Responding to Incidents
   Appendix A - File Permissions
   Appendix B - Default Windows 2000 Services
   Appendix C - Additional Services
   Job Aid 1 - Threat and Vulnerability Analysis Table
   Job Aid 2 - Top Security Blunders
   Job Aid 3 - Attacks and Countermeasures
   Job Aid 4 - Incident Response Quick Reference Card
Downloads    

Download the full guide
   Download the associated Scripts

Microsoft Security Tool Kit: Guides, Updates, and Tools

Originally posted 04/16/2002

Topics on this Page

Guides
 Software Updates
 Deployment and Management Tools
 Online Resources

The aim of the Microsoft Security Tool Kit is to help customers protect their systems from common and dangerous threats that they are likely to encounter on the Internet. The Security Tool Kit includes tools that provide a baseline level of security for servers that are connected to the Internet. It also includes security patches for vulnerabilities that the Microsoft Security Response Center has determined to be of potentially high severity for systems that are connected to the Internet.
Customers who are concerned about the threat from users internal to their organization users who may be "inside" the organization's firewall need to take additional steps in configuring their systems and might need to install additional security patches. Such organizations' choices will be guided by their own security policies.
You can order The Security Tool Kit CD at no charge for US customers. It includes automation scripts to quickly install all the security hotfixes recommended in the kit. It also includes all the content available in this online version of the kit.
The guides that follow are the first steps you can take towards securing your systems, whether they are already in operation or if you are building new systems.
Guides
This section includes guides, checklists and other important documentation.
Updates
This section includes released service packs, other released software, security rollup packages and other critical updates.
Tools
This section includes Security management and deployment tools.
Guides    

Guides to Baseline Security
Windows 2000 - New installation
Windows 2000 - Existing installation
Windows NT 4.0 - New installation
Windows NT 4.0 - Existing installation
Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition - New installation
Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition - Existing installation
   Using Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 to Deploy Security Tool Kit Fixes
View Document
To automate the distribution and installation of the recommended security fixes to Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition, Microsoft has supplied a set of queries and package definition files in the SMS directory of the Security Tool Kit compact disc. SMS will help you determine which computers need the security fixes, and then deploy the fixes to the appropriate resources. The objects that the SMS team has built can be imported into an existing SMS 2.0 hierarchy to help facilitate the deployment of these security fixes and ensure that your environment complies with the baseline level recommended by Microsoft.
   Baseline Security Checklists
Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Windows NT Server 4.0
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Internet Information Server 4.0
Internet Information Services 5.0
Windows XP
Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2 or greater
These checklists outline some of the steps you should take to configure your platforms with a baseline level of security.
   Windows 2000 Service Pack Installation and Deployment Guide
View Document
This document outlines procedures and options for installing Windows 2000 service packs in a corporate environment.
   Windows NT and Windows 2000 Hotfix Installation and Deployment Guide
View Document
This document outlines procedures and recommendations for installing Windows hotfixes on multiple computers in a small business or corporate environment.
   Deploying Service Pack 6a with SMS
View Knowledge Base Article Q238315
This guide explains how to install SP6a with SMS using the Distribute Software Wizard.
   Internet Explorer Deployment Guides
Internet Explorer 5.01 Guide
Internet Explorer 5.5 Guide
These documents provide corporate administrators with a comprehensive guide to deploying custom installations of the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser using the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).
   Using Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 to Deploy Microsoft Security Tool Kit Fixes
View Document
This document provides the steps to automate the process described in the Guide to Baseline Security, which is included in the Security Tool kit.
Software Updates    

Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
Install Now
Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides the latest updates to the Windows 2000 family of operating systems. These updates are a collection of fixes in the following areas: application compatibility, operating system reliability, security, and setup. Windows 2000 SP2 includes the updates contained in Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
   Internet Information Server 4.0 Security Rollup
Details
Install Now
This cumulative update includes all of the updates that have been released for Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0 since the release of Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5, including two new updates, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-044.
   Internet Information Services 5.0 Security Rollup
Details
Install Now
This cumulative security update includes every update released for Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-044.
   Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a
Details
Install Now
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a (SP6a) provides the latest updates to Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows NT Server 4.0 (including Enterprise Edition).
   Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package
Details
Install Now
This security package provides security updates released for Windows NT 4.0 since the release of Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a. You can only install the Security Rollup Package if you are running Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a. Users who have the Compaq Array Controller Driver should read the details prior to installation. A list of the included fixes is here .
   Windows NT Server 4.0 Option Pack
Details
Install Now
The Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack is a set of Web and application services that enables developers to create the next generation of distributed network applications for Windows NT Server 4.0 and also take advantage of the Windows 2000 operating system. It provides the following services for Windows NT Server: Internet Information Server 4.0, Microsoft Transaction Server 2.0, Microsoft Message Queue Server 1.0, and Internet Connection Services for Microsoft Remote Access Server (RAS).
   Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Option Pack
Details
Install Now
The Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack is a set of Web and application services that enables developers to create the next generation of distributed network applications for Windows NT 4.0 and also take advantage of the Windows 2000 operating system.
   Q305929: Hotfix for Windows NT4 Security Rollup Package
Details
Install Now
This fix addresses the "This Certificate Has an Invalid Digital Signature" error message after you install the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package.
   Q307866: Hotfix for Windows NT4 Security Rollup Package
Details
Install Now
After installing the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package, and running a repair choosing to "Verify Windows NT system files", old copies of Windows NT 4.0 files might be copied over later versions of the files, resulting in a Stop error message after restarting the computer.
   Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 For Terminal Server Edition
Details
Install Now
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 for Terminal Server Edition (TSE SP6) is based on Service Pack 6a for Windows NT Server 4.0 and contains additional updates for Terminal Server.
   Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2
Install Now
Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides the latest updates and security fixes to Internet Explorer technology. Internet Explorer 5.01 SP2 can be installed as an upgrade to existing versions of Internet Explorer, or on computers with no previous Internet Explorer installation.
   Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2
Install Now
Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 includes improved support for DHTML and CSS, providing greater control over browser appearance and behavior. With Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, you can use Connection Manager as your default dialer when Dial-Up Networking is already installed making it easier to connect to the Internet.
   Microsoft Windows Media Player Patch
Install Now
This fix addresses a problem where a maliciously-authored ASF file could cause the player to buffer overrun and run arbitrary code of the attacker's choice.
   Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1
Details
Install Now
Microsoft? Windows Media Player 7.1 delivers the first complete all-in-one player that is so easy to use. It also offers the best experience for the discovery, download, personalization, and playback of high-quality Windows Media audio and video, and the popular MP3 format.
   Q280119 for Terminal Server Edition (MS01-008)
Details
Install Now
This fix, designed to prevent malicious users from gaining administrative access to your computer, is included in the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package, but is still required for Terminal Server baseline security.
This fix resolves the "NTLMSSP Privilege Elevation" security vulnerability present in Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-008 .
   Q265714 for Terminal Server Edition (MS00-095)
Details
Install Now
This fix is included in the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package, but is still required for Terminal Server baseline security.
This fix corrects the permissions on several registry values in Windows NT 4.0. The default permissions could allow a malicious user to gain additional privileges on an affected machine.
   Q266433 for Terminal Server Edition (MS00-070)
Details
Install Now
This fix is included in the Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package, but is still required for Terminal Server baseline security.
This fix resolves the "Multiple LPC and LPC Ports" security vulnerability in Windows NT 4.0.
   Q269049 for Terminal Server Edition (MS00-052)
Details
Install Now
This fix resolves the "Relative Shell Path" security vulnerability in Windows NT 4.0.
Deployment and Management Tools    

Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor
The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), analyzes Windows systems for common security misconfigurations. Version 1.0 of MBSA includes a graphical and command line interface that can perform local or remote scans of Windows systems. MBSA runs on Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems and will scan for missing hotfixes and vulnerabilities in the following products: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0 and 5.0, SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01 and later, and Office 2000 and XP.
   Internet Information Services Lockdown Wizard
This tool lets you configure an IIS 4.0 or IIS 5.0 Web server for secure operation. It allows the administrator to choose a template to select the technologies that the server will support. The tool provides an undo feature that allows the effects of the most recent lockdown to be reversed.
   URLScan Security Tool
UrlScan is an ISAPI filter that screens and analyzes HTTP requests as Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) receives them. When properly configured, UrlScan is effective at reducing the exposure of IIS 4.0, IIS 5.0, and IIS 5.1 to potential Internet attacks. The functionality of the UrlScan tool is now included in the Internet Information Services Lockdown Wizard. If you wish to use the URLScan.exe tool without running the Internet Information Services Lockdown Wizard, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/security and search for the most current version posted there. For application compatibility reasons, the ability to run URLScan during the IIS Lockdown Wizard installation is disabled for Proxy Server and Small Business Server for Windows NT 4.0.
   HFNetChk (Command Line Hot Fix Check Tool)
You can use the Hfnetchk tool to assess patch status for computers that are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, as well as hotfixes for Internet Information Server 4.0 (IIS), Internet Information Services 5.0 (IIS), SQL Server 7.0, SQL Server 2000 (including Microsoft Data Engine [MSDE]), and Internet Explorer 5.01 or later.
This tool is not installed by default by the Security Kit installer and it is not required on every system.
   Windows 2000 Critical Update Notification
Details
Critical Update Notification allows computers that are running Windows 2000 to search the Windows Update site automatically, to check for critical updates to keep your computer safe. Once a critical update is detected for your computer, you can go to Windows Update and download it.
Critical update notifications are included as a feature in Windows XP.
When you install Critical Update Notification, you configure Windows automatic updating. Windows automatic updating not only notifies you of available critical updates, it can be configured to download and install the updates automatically, on a schedule you specify.
Important Critical Update Notification is automatically upgraded to the Microsoft? Windows? automatic updates functionality when it is available. If you don't want Windows automatic updates to be installed on your computer, don't install Critical Update Notification
   QChain.exe
Details
You can use QChain.exe to safely chain hotfixes together. Hotfix chaining involves installing multiple hotfixes without rebooting between each installation. Without this tool, the only supported method is to reboot after each hotfix installation.
Online Resources    

Microsoft Windows Update Sites
Corporate Windows Update site
The Microsoft Windows Update site provides an easy mechanism for obtaining current updates for the operating system, including critical security updates. The first link above will identify the current critical updates for the current system. The second link provides an easy way to download those same updates for deployment on multiple systems.
   Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site
View Site
This site provides security information and tools for anyone who deploys, maintains, or supports Microsoft products.
View Site
This is a free e-mail notification service that Microsoft uses to send information to subscribers about the security of Microsoft products. Anyone can subscribe to the service, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
   Security bulletin search site
View Site
This site lists, in a searchable format all released security bulletins affecting Microsoft products.
   Other Security Tools and Checklists
View Site

Symantec Contribution to Microsoft Security Operations Guide
Symantec is pleased to collaborate with Microsoft on their Security Operations Guide. The Security Operations Guide is an excellent set of specific configuration recommendations that if followed will result in formidable security for Windows server platforms. Below is a set of information security articles written by Symantec security experts that expand on key points within the Security Operations Guide. Symantec products play a key role in building a defense-in-depth security posture. The security principles and recommendations outlined in the Security Operations Guide and the following articles are best managed by Symantec product solutions.
As part of our commitment to the Windows platform, Symantec Security Response has created seven new Enterprise Security Manager policies to cover many of the recommendations covered in the Security Operations Guide for Windows 2000 Servers, Windows 2000 ADS, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT 4 PDC, Windows NT 4 Server, and Windows NT 4 Workstations. These policies were developed from industry recognized best practices and from guidelines in the Security Operations Guide. These Symantec Enterprise Security Manager policies are free to Enterprise Security Manager maintenance paying customers.
Enterprise Security Manager Windows Policies

Symantec Security Articles
General information security articles that elaborate on Security Operations Guide recommendations:
Fundamentals of Information Security (80-20 Rule)
Defense in Depth Benefits
Corporate Security Policy

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/security.articles/security.fundamentals.html

Ing. Ingrid Jane Neuman
Computer Science Teacher
Network Administrator
Balboa Academy
MCSA-MCSE-MCT-A+-MCP+I

Be cool Stay in School!
http://.www.balboaacademy.org/neuman.htm

Ingrid Jane Neuman
ineuman
Devoted 2 Teach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 10:09:39 AM »

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/prodtech/windows/windows2000/staysecure/default.asp

Ingrid Jane Neuman
hewissa

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2002, 12:06:00 AM »

ineuman,

Can you email the notes you refered to in your 1st reply.  I would like to review them prior to my exam.

hewissa@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Hewissa

Cheech - Only dopes Use Dope
ineuman
Devoted 2 Teach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2002, 11:26:08 AM »

With this exam since I have no clue of how the questions are going to be

I am just gathering reading material about windows 2000 security by now I have more than 40 megs on pdfs

ufff a lot of reading...

:cool:

Ingrid Jane Neuman
denverdon
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2002, 11:58:35 AM »

Ineuman,

I would appreciate it if you could send me any information you have concerning this test.  I am gearing up for the test and I was hoping that you could forward me the information you have collected.  Not the entire 40 or so Megs, but maybe a synopsis of the places where you have gathered the information would be very helpful.  I have taken the 2150 class and I am reading that material again as a refresher.  According to MS there is about 80% of the test from that class.  The rest is from a class 2153 and 2800.  The latter of the two is a security class that I have not been able to find in Colorado, no one is offering it.  I have also taken a Network Defense and Counter Measures course which should also give me some good information.  Any information I could get would supplement the information I have and would, hopefully, give me an edge.

Thanks very much

Don Harris
MCSE, MCSA, MCP + I, MCP
denverdon2@aol.com
ineuman
Devoted 2 Teach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2002, 03:59:43 PM »

!

Ingrid Jane Neuman
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2002, 04:19:58 PM »

Free test? Someone please tell me more. I am interested. :cool:

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
jonmg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2002, 04:24:48 PM »

Hi there

Yeah i got the information thanks alot for that it helped out lots i just got back from writing the exam
Man was it long Normal microsoft exams are 2:30 mins for 60 questions this was 3 Hours for 90 questions like  come one shit i actually was 8 questions short cause i ran out of time the questions were too XXXXing long 4-5 paragraphs most of them how the hell are we supposed to read and answer them in 2-3 mins.

Anyway i wrote my own couple of paragraphs at the end of the exam and told them what i thought lol.
I found it hard there was DEFINITELY alot of GPO questions and Certificate and IPSec Questions.

Thanks again
Jon

Earning is fast and fun with Free Store Club! Get an online SUPER STORE FREE! Start saving BIG! Start earning BIG! It's NEW, FREE, and HOT!

Free Store Club
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: