pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  book for server+
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: book for server+  (Read 2495 times)
bean5470

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2002, 10:02:22 AM »

I am in the process of buying a book for the server+ cert and I am wondering what book is the best for the comptia test.  I am also going to take the network+ later and if anyone knows of a good book for that one also.  Thx
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 11:25:25 AM »

If you look in the Server+ forum
there are tons of posts about the current books out there for this exam.

As I have mentioned to other people
you can go to amazon.com and type in Server+ in a search and all the current titles will come up. Then you can read the reviews
and see what everyone else thought of the book to help you make a decision.

Smiley
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 11:38:53 AM »

ExamCram and Mike Meyers', yea baby, yea!

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 11:42:12 AM »

Oh yea, Sybex is good too. It can be a lot of reading though.

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
namrak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 02:06:15 PM »

I would follow dagger's advice and check out Amazon.com. If you go to their certifcation central section and you'll be able to do some sorting by either publisher, exam, subject. Once you determine which subject, you'll get a listing of books and hopefully, many of them will have reader reviews.
You'll be able to get a good glimpse of what to expect, but ultimately, you'll have to decide which to buy. Good luck.
Doug_Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 09:18:56 PM »

Hey Namrak,

The best book for the CompTIA Server+ exam is the IDG book called Server+ Certification Bible written by Trevor Kay and the ISBN is 0764548093; the cheapest place to buy it is http://www.bookpool.com for $36.50!  Read the reviews on Amazon.com or the reviews in Server+ board and you will see this IS the BEST book for the exam! Cheesy

Also the Server+ Exam Cram is pretty good too.  Do Not take this exam lightly, it is much harder than the CompTIA A+, Network+ or i-Net+ exams.  As for the Sybex Server+ book, the first edition was CRAP and was to be re-written.  They even gave customers exam vouchers to try to make them happy, but again you can read about that if you like in the Server+ board as well. :cool:
namrak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 12:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the tip Doug. Smiley
I've already gone out and purchased the Server+ Bible as well as the Server+ ExamCram book. The latter was a steal since my local B.Dalton was selling them at 30% off the cover and throw in another 10% on top if you have a Reader's Advantage card. I walked out of the store clutching my prize heh heh. Wink

I know this isn't exactly the right forum, but how did your Server+ test go Doug?
Doug_Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2002, 09:05:43 PM »

Hey Namrak,

I only studied for the Server+ exam for three weeks by reading the two books I mentioned (& crossed referenced with the other Server+ books at Barnes & Noble). I also read the Transcender & VNPublishing exams that I had printed out, seeing I like to read the detailed answers seeing I learn more than just taking the exam questions.

I scored a lousy 87% so I was not real happy seeing I normally score around 91 to 97% on my past CompTIA exams.  If I had another two or so weeks I would of done better, but a Pass is a Pass! Smiley

I try and buy my Exam Cram books on eBay for 10 to 15 dollars tops, so I would recommend that for you in the future too.  Or until Exam Cram books go back into print under a different company and the pricing will be harder to discount.  Sybex was good for the Windows NT & other previous CompTIA exams, but for Server+ exam, the Sybex first edition was a total failure seeing they had to release a 2nd edition due to ALL the complaints, gave out FREE copies and discount test vouchers! :eek:  Better read the Server+ forum over that debate from 6 months ago RusCorp!!
n0rg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 10:18:09 AM »

Don't forget the "All-in-One" Study Guide.  About 700 pages worth of reading.  R/  --RSG--
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: