pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Peer Network XP Home Edition & Win98. Setup?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Peer Network XP Home Edition & Win98. Setup?  (Read 622 times)

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2002, 10:45:13 AM »

I want to set up a 2 PC peer-to-peer network for a friend using Windows XP Home Edition on one box and Win98 on other box for file and printer sharing.  I will connect them with a crossover cable and use 100Mbps NICs.

Each PC has a dial-up modem installed so I DO NOT want to enable Internet Connection Sharing.  Each PC wants to be able to dial up ISP independently.

I've set up peer networks before using Win98 and Win2K Pro using TCP/IP static addresses with no problem but Windows XP has this "funky" network setup wizard imbedded in the ICS feature where during setup it compies some files onto a floppy for installation on peer PC.  I don't want to use this wizard because I don't understand what things it does.  I simply want to install client for Microsoft networks, on each box, assign a static IP address, and communicate.  

Now, my question.  How to install without using the wizard.  Responses from those who have done this are appreciated.
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 04:27:45 PM »

Did it ignored the floppy 98/XP. Just made sure the workgroup names were the same. Never looked at what the floppy did but I am guessing it just imports workgroup information into the other PC.  

It was about a month ago, a couple of my students wanted to play a head to head game; crossover cable, no hub, no internet.  I don't remember all the details, just told them to ignore the floppy and proceed. The only hangup was they mis-spelled the workgroup name on the 98 system. Once they fixed it up it came.

oops should not have responded; my hands were not on the keyboard and I was 10 feet away. :eek:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: