pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 03:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-221
| | | |-+  221 tips
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 221 tips  (Read 1803 times)
Arafel65

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2002, 02:20:14 PM »

Just got done with 219 and getting ready for 221, I don't have a book for it, but I used Microsoft Windows 2000 server resouces kit and technet site to read for 219, I need any study tips, technet articles I can read to get ready for 221. Legit links only please.
Shadow_D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 02:36:37 PM »

If you have 70-216 study material it will help with 70-221.
Arafel65

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 03:25:23 PM »

yep i am going through my 216 notes but i was hoping to find a guide like i did preparing for 219 when i saw a howto guide link to the technet site posted here at exam notes. i don't want to be blind sided like i was when i took 216 the first time. i found out finding the right technet article really gives you a more well rounded foundation.
3pinhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 04:40:45 PM »

I just got the Sybex book, looks pretty thorough, comes with test questions too.
Don't forget to invest in some good practice tests too. Cert21 ain't half bad. Got me through all of the core exams. I used Trancenders too.

TelemarkIsTheOnlyWayToFly
Arafel65

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 12:35:40 AM »

Thanks for the tip
Tech Ranger
On A Mission

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 11:41:30 PM »

Is there a good site that has general advice and tips on attacking the design tests.  There have got to be strategies that have proven to be helpful.  I am not referring to the material in the tests, but techniques for handling the format.  I am intimidated by the notion of having to digest these large case studies.

The Computer is a creation of man.  Man is a creation of God! -  
Joe from Brooklyn
3pinhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 07:16:46 AM »

Don't know of one off the top of my head, but I can tell you what I've done - I've taken 3 of them. Your best bet is to get the trancenders or subscribe to the Cert21 exams and just practice practice practice. Also look for sites that have free demo's and try those too. You're not looking for the exact questions that would be on the exam, but each company has it's own idea of what to focus on. Purchase the exams that have the drag & drop & connection interfaces. You really need to learn how those work. The security exam has one particular type, and they are heavily weighted in scoring. You can get all the multiple choice questions right, and fail the exam if your score on the GUI part is not high enough. http://www.ucertify.com is a good one.

The questions are presented as long scenarios, usually 4 of them, followed by questions. Each scenario is presented as a folder with several tabs, that describe the business structure, current network, concerns of various people in the network, and the proposed solution. Then you have several questions, multiple choice, drag & drop, and if you take the security exam, a difficult interface where you are given network components, and protocols. You have to arrange the components, then choose the correct protocols to connect them. Using practice exams will give you a good feel for them. But despite the exhaustive process, they are basically asking for the same kind of information as q&a with out the long scenario.

1) Read the scenario carefully. Go through all the tabs, & get a sense of what's there, what SHOULD be there, and the proposed solution. Go to the ALL tab and reskim the scenario to make sure you did not miss anything. You've got 3 to 4 hours for the exam, so take your time and be careful.

2) Some things to watch for: NT servers that won't be upgraded - it affects the security protocols you can use, you can't switch to native mode etc. If there's specific note of certain people or functions needing to be collected together - you'll have questions on groups, group policy, OU structure, and these are usually drag & drop - you have a list of groups in the right pane, and potential locations in the left pane, and you have to select the correct groups and place them in the correct locations, and not all of them are used sometimes!

3)After you read the question, go back to the scenario and find the answer. It's there. Sometimes it's obvious such as the proposed design, or something that will be kept from the old design, other times you need to squeeze the comments from the CEO or the CIO or whatever to decide what the corrrect course of action is.

The answers to the questions are based on the principles you learn as you study the book(s). If you know them well, the answers are easy to find in the scenarios. Be aware of items that raise a red flag in your mind, such as a scenario that describes the existing network as having multiple hubs connected with CAT3 cabling. That would need upgrading before implimenting a Win2000 rollout. When you see stuff like that, you can count on a question about it somewhere.
Be aware that there may be more than one solution for a problem. What you're looking for is the solution FOR THE PROBLEM IN THAT SCENARIO! So you need to know what solution to use and where to use it.

Take notes of points that you think may have a question. it helps. For the AD Design, I diagrammed the proposed network before I got to the questions.

Pay careful attention to the business end of the questions. Microsoft wants it's designers to be very familiar with business structure, and some seem to dismiss that as unimportant when in fact it is the basis for how the network is designed.

It's a long test 3 - 4 hours. Do whatever you need to be fresh. Be well rested, practice enough so that you're confident. Don't rush your preparation. I studied on my own, and it took me an average of about 6 to 7 weeks to prepare. Be sure to do the exercises in the books, some of the questions will present you with an MMC interface and you have to select the correct item(s) on the interface. They want to see if you've really done this.

So now you're done with your first scenario (this one!) Wish you well on the upcoming tests.

Tech Ranger
On A Mission

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 06:10:16 PM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond so fully.  I really appreciate the advice.

The Computer is a creation of man.  Man is a creation of God! -  
Joe from Brooklyn
Zaraspook

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 03:31:49 PM »

I just passed the 219 earlier today and 221 is next on the list after I take a little breather of course. I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent tips. It is very much appreciated! Wink

Due to financial problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut down until further notice.
3pinhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 04:11:30 PM »

Glad I could help. Having 216 under your belt will be a great aid in passing 221. It's similar information, except in 221 you use the same concepts to design the network.
But there's a lot more emphasis on the business end of things - it really drives what answers you choose on the exam; and in real life I suppose, the solutions you'd choose for the job.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: