pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 12:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  530,000 tech jobs lost last year, but some good news too
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 530,000 tech jobs lost last year, but some good news too  (Read 1284 times)
wildscribe

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2002, 03:07:44 AM »

Interesting story in Today's Washington Post on the decline in tech jobs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37156-2002May5.html

According to the Information Technology Association of America (also known as the
ITAA), the number of U.S. technology workers dropped by nearly 530,000 in 2001. (Note that the ITAA is the same outfit that put out a report in 2000 that said U.S. companies need more than 500,000 tech workers and can't keep up with the demand.
A lot of MCSE schools love to mention this report in sales materials.)

The report said that most of the folks laid off
were technology support staffers, often entry-level folks and jacks-of-all-trades who had flocked to the profession during boom times.

And most job openings today are for those  
candidates are proficient in the C++ or Java computer languages, or they are familiar with Oracle database technology, according to the information technology group's survey.

But there is a positive side. If you can stick it out, the economy is bound to turn and demand for techs will rise again.

Even though the job scene for techies feels bleak now, experts fear that when the economy improves, companies will not be able to find enough skilled workers to meet their needs. To cut costs during troubled times, some companies took the ax to their training budgets and refused to take a chance on entry-level workers, decisions that could come back to haunt them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2002, 04:03:23 PM by wildscribe » Logged
onoski
Determined IT Hussler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 06:32:55 AM »

Interesting article thanks for sharing. Times are hard for the IT industry right now, so my best advice to IT professionals is to horn on gaining new skills and become multi-sklilled not just in MS$ products but in Oracle, databases, Unix and Java if you feel you have the heart and the patient as you can't go wrong with these when the job market picks up. I just hope it picks up soon rather later. Way to go and remember winners don't quit and quitters don't win. I know it is not easy, but seek and ye shall find and this is very true. Best of luck everyone in the process of finding an IT job.

Are you still wondering if heaven or hell is real? Well it is and to avoid that Jesus christ is the way, please make the right choice and stop playing games with the devil. The world is messed up, just look around you.
cross36
Call me Cris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 10:16:15 AM »

Nice article. Even for the dip in salary. People jump off professions not knowing fully well the preparation and knowledge we need to acquire and hold in this field

Riding the endless light of fortunes...

http://www.darkroads.com
DivxGuy
Ex-Microsoftee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 03:21:41 PM »

Interesting that someone else used my "musical chairs" metaphor. Looks like some of the other assumptions I made were correct, too, ie companies cutting costs to boost profits by freezing I.T. hiring.

RD
DivxGuy
Ex-Microsoftee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2002, 03:24:25 PM »

Click.

RD
onoski
Determined IT Hussler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2002, 03:06:56 AM »

DivxGuy, I think that link is just from the IT marketing propaganda sales people don't fall for it.

Are you still wondering if heaven or hell is real? Well it is and to avoid that Jesus christ is the way, please make the right choice and stop playing games with the devil. The world is messed up, just look around you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: