pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-081 Exchange 5.5
| | | |-+  Best place to start with an Exchange 5.5 migration
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best place to start with an Exchange 5.5 migration  (Read 1634 times)
beenframed

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2002, 11:19:54 AM »

I Just got approval to buy a new server to host my Exchange. I have about 2000 accounts on my old exchage and will be migrating them all to the new server. The current server runs NT server 4.0 with Exchange 5.5. the new server will be running Windows 2000 with Exchange 5.5. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to migration instructions and best practices?

Thanks in advance,

-bf

BeenFramed
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 11:23:53 AM »

Cheesy help ....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/guide/deployhl.asp

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
urbman
Working out is fun!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2002, 05:30:49 PM »

I didn't think you could run Exchange 5.5 on windows 2000?

I need more power!
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2002, 05:49:39 PM »

Cheesy Have a read of this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253249

Cheesy I thought you were upgrading to 2000 from 5.5 aswell!!

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
beenframed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2002, 01:42:14 PM »

I will be running Windows 2000 server with Exchange 5.5. I am currently running exchange 5.5.and as long as I install service pack 3 I should not have any problems right?

Also what I was originally looking for was instructions on how to go about moving the Information Store and all the other Exchange related stuff over to the new box. Any help?

Thanks for all the input..

-bf

BeenFramed
Yeti-GBR1
A Complete Twit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2002, 02:50:14 PM »

BF; Ok from my experience of doing this on several 10's of systems and companies, here is my advice:

Do not do an In-Place upgrade, this has two distinct problems:
1. Your mail system is off line until it completes.
2. If it all goes wrong your looking at a either a complete rebuild from you last know bankup prior to the upgrade, or a server thats about as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd. either way its FUBARD.

Do do a Leapfrog Upgrade, this has the advantages of:
1. You still have a mail system even it the W2K server is FUBARD for what ever reason.
2. Allows no interuption to service so you can perform the upgrade whilst the users use there existing mail system,; However I strongly suggest you still do a backup 1st just in case.

If you need more detaild information on this just do a search on the MS or TechNet sites alternativley its all covered in the MS Training Kit for E2K I&A ISBN: 0-7356-1028-2.

Note though what it says in the training kit about the minimum required is higher than that on MS's web site Smiley

The process is pretty straight forward once you have a working W2K AD environment. Since you have 2000 users  it may take some time to copy all there mail from the Information Stores (E2K manages almost 8GB/Hr- this is an MS stat take it with a pich of salt though, the best I have seen is 6GB/Hr).

If you need more detailed instructions email me direct. All the best and GL mate :eek:

Yeti the Inquisitive Cheesy

MCNE, MCSE(NT4), MCSE 2000, SCO ACE, LCP, Compaq ASE, CCNA, CCIE Wannabe (part of the Wannabe Boffin Club).

http://www.yeti-gbr1.co.uk
http://www.ciscolabs.co.uk
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2002, 04:37:16 PM »

Nice one Jon.....one quick one bf, do you have AD running? If so, don't forget the ADC.

Andy C
CCNP, CCVP, CCDA, CQS (WLANSE, WLANFE, Unity Support, IPT Design, IPT Express , IPCC Express, IP Communications Express, CallManager Express), JNCIS-M #1027, JNCIS-FWV #311, F5CSE, CCSE NG, MCSE NT4/2K, MCSE:Messaging, ITIL, A+
Yeti-GBR1
A Complete Twit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2002, 06:36:04 PM »

Andy I'm assuming BF is only running one E5.5 server in which case an ADC is not required; However if there are more than one E5.5 in his setup then Yes you will need to configure an ADC (Active Directory Connector for those that were wondering). Good point though.

MCNE, MCSE(NT4), MCSE 2000, SCO ACE, LCP, Compaq ASE, CCNA, CCIE Wannabe (part of the Wannabe Boffin Club).

beenframed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2002, 08:11:57 PM »

Guys I am not running Active Directory and my plans to migrate to Active Directory are not until later on this year. But I don need to move the Exchange 5.5 to another box cause my current one is starting to scream. I'd perfer to have the new server running Windows 2000 but not Active Directory this will save me some upgrade time at the end of the year. The article http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q253249 seems to suggest that as long as my E5.5 is patched with service pack 3 I can run it on a Windows 2000 server with no AD.

Since you seem to have a good amount of experience doing this I will take your suggestion as to whether I should install the new box as a Windows 2000 server with no AD or should I install the new box at NT 4 Server?

Thanks for all your help.

-bf

BeenFramed
Yeti-GBR1
A Complete Twit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2002, 08:40:20 PM »

Ahhhh I see, Nope you can stick with Windows 2000; However when you install exchange 5.5 do a migrate install and all should be fine.

There is a gocha though the Windows 2000 SAM/ACL does not realy intergate all that well in my view, so be aware you may get some authentification errors ocassionally in the event logs. MS will tell you different though, no shock there :eek: . Just follow these guidelines:

1. Install the W2k box as a member to your current domain, SP2 it asap, also install all the IE patches ASAP. There is no neet to upgrade IE to 6.0 unless you want to browse with the latest Bloatware from MS.

2. When you install exchange 5.5 do a migrate from you current setup. this is fairly straight forwar and well documented on the MS sites & TechNet. As soon as its installed SP 4 it ASAP. once this has been done you then have the job of re-directing all the users exchange settings to the new server (this is a ball ache :rolleyes: )

Thats it apart from mopping up the migration issues which there arnt that many actually.

This way you still have your old Exchange 5.5 server if all goes wrong.

Note that when you do deceide to move to W2K AD there should be few issues as long as you use another box as the DC not the W2/E2K box and place it in the same domain as your NT4/exchange domain (Note that the Windows 2k AD domain is a Fully Qualified Domain name like Yeti-GBR1.co.uk, and your netbios legacy domain name can be the same as you current one..lets say Yeti for example.)

Well if you need more pointers just holla and we'll be there for you. Either that of legging to the nearest airport going on holiday Smiley GL and above all HAVE FUN!! :cool:

beenframed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2002, 12:05:38 AM »

Yeah I guess my one big head ache would be changing the Exchange users settings to connect to the new box. Is there a way around this? Since I have approx. 2000 users this will be a huge pain in the you know what (Ahh I'll just say it XXX. Could I set the new Exchange Server up on the side (disconnected from the domain)with the same computer name as the current one and then when all is complete take the other box down? I will probably have to remove and add the Server name from Server manager, right? And then configre the new box with the old ip settings. What do you think?

thanks a bunch,

-bf

BeenFramed
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: