pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange server 2000
| | | |-+  Installing ES 2K
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installing ES 2K  (Read 1398 times)
peanutbutter

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2002, 08:35:05 PM »

Hi all,

I'm not much of a Microsoft guy.  I was asked to set up Windows 2K Exchange Server.  I've been able to set up a client to access Exchange Server for other clients before.  But now I have a project that requires me to install Windows 2K from scratch.  I've been trying to install Windows 2K Server and got stuck in the process.  

As instructed in the book, i was trying to install the "ForestPrep" and "DomainPrep" and was able to do so as I was getting an error message like the one below:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" cannot be assigned the action "ForestPrep" because:
- Setup is unable to access the Windows 2000 Active Directory
- Failed to contact the Schema Master Server for this Active Directory forest.

The first message (i.e. "Setup is unable...") showed up intermittently when I tried installing ES 2K.  I have doubled checked the domain controller computer and made sure that the appropriate permissions have been properly set for a computer in which I want to install ES 2k.  Some of permissions added include Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins, Administrators, Schema Admins, etc. (almost all types I can think of).  But still i'm not able to install because of the above message.  Also I've made sure that Internet Information Server was installed.  

Anyway, can anyone give me some advice or insights on what I need to do to make this to work.  I would sincerely appreciate it.  

Regards,
peanutbutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2002, 08:38:09 PM »

Please note that when I said "Windows 2K...", I was trying to say "Windows 2K Exchange Server".  The issue is all about installing Microsoft 2K Exchange Server (NOT Windows 2K or Windows 2K Server).  Thank you!
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2002, 09:08:37 PM »

Cheesy Go to this page and download the document:

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/preputility.asp

Cheesy This is what you need to do before installing 2000 Exchange Server.  If this is no good let me know!!

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
peanutbutter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2002, 09:36:43 PM »

I did all of those pre-installation steps and still received the error messages as  indicated above.  I think it has something to do with the Active Directory...
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2002, 11:43:31 PM »

Cheesy document:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/guide/deployhl.asp

Cheesy Is this an upgrade from 5.5?

peanutbutter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2002, 12:10:52 AM »

No isn't.  I'm installing Win2K ES from scratch.  I've tried installing the ForestPrep and DomainPrep, but couldn't as I received an error message I've indicated earlier.  Here's the error message again:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" cannot be assigned the action "ForestPrep" because:
- Setup is unable to access the Windows 2000 Active Directory
- Failed to contact the Schema Master Server for this Active Directory forest.

Currently, I'm playing around with Active Directory and Win2K ES, hopefully come up with a solution.  

Cheers
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2002, 12:32:07 PM »

Cheesy Have a look here ......

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/exchange/proddocs/ex2kupgr/deploy/d_04_tt1.asp

peanutbutter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 02:51:25 AM »

I'm unable to get an Exchange Server box connected to the Active Directory box.  This is where the main problem is.  If I could get the ES box connected, I think i would be able to install ES just fine.  The problem is how to get one box access to Active Directory in another box.  In Linux/Unix, the setup is much more intuitive and logical.  In Windows, it has to be the Microsoft Way, which I think is pathetic sometimes.  

Anyway, what I did was I made sure that the new ES box has permissions and is a "Member of" all administrator domains and is networked on the same domain.  What else should I do to enable access into Active Directory from another box?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you all!
dmini

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2002, 05:43:01 PM »

DNS??
Check all your boxes are registering properly...but youve probably sorted this by now
nitlsu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 07:09:34 PM »

You hit the nail on the head.

/Forestprep modifies the schema of the AD and adds exchange specific attributes to it.

The problem you seem to be having is that your DNS doesn't seem to be working properly and therefore you are not able to contact AD.

Run netdiag on this machine and see if you have any DNS problems. Another solution to speed up the process would be to promote this server (on which you are installing E2K) to a DC for the time being...allowing it to get a copy of the AD. This will eliminate /forestprep changes from going over the network to the DC. But even for this you would need DNS.

In a nutshell

- Check the default DNS on this server.
- Make sure DNS has SRV records.
- Ensure that your server registers with DNS.
- Ensure dynamic updates are allowed.
- Run NETDIAG on the server.

I will monitor the thread to see if that helped.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: