pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 09:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  To all you working network admin's
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To all you working network admin's  (Read 1284 times)
3pinhead

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2002, 07:17:47 PM »

I'm just finishing up my Windows 2000 MCSE, and I'm interested to see what you use on the job as a  quick reference. I've got all the MOC books, the Syngress study guides, plenty of stuff, but I want one volume that will be a good reminder for when I forget something, or need more details to do my job.

So what do you use the most?
Resource Kits?
Mark Minasi's books?
What's your favorite?Huh? (and why)

Thanks

TelemarkIsTheOnlyWayToFly
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 10:20:30 PM »

Cheesy Though I still refer to the MS MCSE Training Kit now and again I found MS do a book called "MS Windows 2000 Administrator's Pocket Consultant" (ISBN 0-7356-0831-8).  The cost is as follows:

USA $29.99
UK ?20.99
Canada $45.99

It gives fast answers, daily operations guide, quick reference tables, lists and step-by-step instructions and is directed at the IT Implementer (Support and Maintenance).  I'd rather carry this around than the Training Kits!!

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
mrfixit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 11:16:25 PM »

Try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735608318/mtitenterprises/102-0613260-2501711

Amazon.com for $20.99 US!:D

Keyboard not functioning. Press F1 to continue....

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator.

If a trainstation is where the train stops, what's a workstation...?
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2002, 10:42:18 AM »

I have the pocket consultant and agree with frank, it's much easier to port around with you and is clean and concise.

You may also want to check out http://www.bookpool.com for purchasing technical books.

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
---------------------------------------
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
eljefe79
Monkeyboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2002, 03:22:36 AM »

Here are my suggestions...purchase the complete Mark Minasi "Windows 2000 Resource Kit" for the shelf and carry the searchable  E-book CD in your tech kit. It gets to the point, is detailed and is in plain english. Best investment!!!

As an example, we were trying to decide on whether NLB and Windows 2k Terminal services would suite our need or the purchase of Citrix was in order. What was the difference? Couldn't remember all the facets of the platforms...but right there was a comparison and contrast of both platforms. Great set of books and well written...not dry and backed by real world experience in the trenches.

Book 2
Prentice Hall's MCSE TCP\IP Networking in MS NT4 by Kostya Ryvkin, Dave Houde....Great book on base TCP\IP principles.

Book 3 Windows 2000 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (Tech Kit)

Book 4 Novell's IntraNetWare Administrator's Handbook..Softcover Smart-Book (techkit)Mine's 4.11 but there's bound to be a 5 out there

Book 5 Firewalls 24x7 (Shelf)

Book 6 Hacking Exposed...a must read (shelf)

Book 7 Exchange 5,5 24x7 (Shelf)

Book 8 New Riders Platinum NT4 Professional Administrator's Guide (Shelf)

These are my best suggestions on useful books.

PS...Find as many e-books ads possible and load the PDF's on your laptop for the field

Good Luck

Pallbearer

Regards,

Jefe

You want me to do what by when? Sure, boss, sure I can make a pig fly! But, neither the pig nor the SPCA will be happy about the landing!   eljefe 10/1/99
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: