pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  Career Path
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Career Path  (Read 857 times)
algerp131

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2002, 01:37:21 AM »

I am a 47 year old woman who graduated from a community college this May with an associates in Computer Programming and an associates in Information Systems. I have been studying for the CCNA exam since I got out of school and now feel secure enough to go take the exam and be able to pass it. I don't have any other certifications and only got involved in Cisco because the school offered a course in it. I haven't had any real life experiance in networking but have read so much and used router simulators a lot. My question is- what path should I take after my CCNA? I haven't taken the A+, or any other certification exams. What exams do you recommend for a career change person that has always wanted to be able to work in the computer field?

In These Silences Something May Rise!
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 01:11:19 AM »

If your ready for CCNA, give it a go.  Then I would recommend A+, followed by Network+ as these are two "entry level" certifications that are recognized in the IT industry, particularly A+.  After A+ or N+ you may want to continue with Server+ which is a lot like A+, but more advanced hardware-wise.  Or, depending on the job you have perhaps consider MCP or MCSA, or CNA, or MOUS, even the CIW or Java tests if programming is more your cup of tea.  Much of it depends on what you want to do or what you're doing when your ready to proceed to another exam.  Of course, A+ or N+ is a good start.

Certifications will complement your A.S. degrees nicely.  I've actually learned more of daily practical value studying for certifications than I did with my A.A.S. Comp. Sci. degrees.  College was good for a lot of theory though.

Just my two cents.
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2002, 03:01:45 PM »

You might also want to try to set up a small little network at your house.  Get a cheap little router, build a domain controller, join a machine or two to the domain, etc.

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
---------------------------------------
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: