pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 12:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  A+ book?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A+ book?  (Read 6059 times)
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2002, 10:58:09 PM »

Dagger -

No matter what book people buy or who wrote it I am still going to recommend to people to use more than one source when studying for exams.

This is how I will explain it.  Nobody is more of an A+ guru than Mike Meyers - he is an expert in his field and even you cannot refute that.  He is the king of A+ and always will be.  His All-In-One book is the creme of the crop - however, people tend to complain that it doesn't go into enough detail about the OS exam especially for the NT portion.

I wrote the Mike Meyers A+ Certification Passport with Mike Meyers.  Both of us have credentials and know the objectives inside out.  We made sure that the OS portion was thoroughly covered in the Passport book.  Every objective is covered right to the letter and the book is very exam specific.  However - I still tell people to use more than one source for studying.

I wrote the Windows 2000 Network Design Exam Cram Personal Test Center, which is very exam specific and follows the objectives closely - but I still recommend to people to use more than one source.

I've written other Instructional materials and books - but I still believe people should use more than one source for their studys.  It just makes sense.

Also - the objectives for the exams can sometimes be very vague, and there are times - particularly with Microsoft exams - where things that are on the exam are not included in the vendors objectives.  That's another reason to use more than one source.

I don't believe in be-all and end-all books.  As an author of technical and certification books, I believe that my materials fully cover the objectives for the exams, but I still believe that people should use more than one source for their studies.  

Facts like the one you mentioned for the IRQ's will of course be the same in every book.  That is straight forward fact.  But every book isn't a carbon copy of another - if it were, it wouldn't matter what book you bought.  Every author tries to bring to a book on a particular subject something that no other author has brought to it before.  That's why publishers publish more than one book on a particular subject.  If different authors didn't bring different things to different books there would be no need to publish other books.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2002, 09:21:51 AM »

-Paisleyskye

You totally missed my point,
I wasn't giving you the opportunity to plug your books.

For A+ you forgot guys like Ron Gilster for A+ as well.
But at least Ron is an A+ SME.

Is that Mike Meyers and SME..are you?

If your not a subject Matter Expert on the exam subject. Just because you took and passed the test doesn't mean squat.
I'm not just talking about A+ here
just in general for all study guides.

A lot of study guides are just written
by people who took the beta exam
...and now they call them self an expert for the exam. They are no expert and I don't think they are qualified to write a study guide for the exam.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2002, 01:20:10 PM »

Dagger,

I think its you who missed the point.  I wasn't using it as an opportunity to plug my books - I just didn't know how else to explain it to you at that point.

Mike Meyers is a SME - and although I refuse to call myself an expert, I do fall into that catagory or I wouldn't have been contracted to write the book with him.

I'm not talking just about A+ study guides either.  I'm talking about them all.

For the most part - I think maybe you should re-read my last post.

As for your point about people who have taken beta exams writing study guides - do you know why?  Because publishers have to get the book out when the exam goes live for people to study.  This will probably make no sense to you - but if the exam goes live and they wait for an author to take it in its live version the exam could exist for 8 or 9 months before a study guide for it hits store shelves!

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2002, 02:18:52 PM »

Originally posted by Paisleyskye

As for your point about people who have taken beta exams writing study guides - do you know why?  Because publishers have to get the book out when the exam goes live for people to study.  This will probably make no sense to you - but if the exam goes live and they wait for an author to take it in its live version the exam could exist for 8 or 9 months before a study guide for it hits store shelves!

And why wouldn't it make sense to me...you idiot!

Bla bla bla, .....it makes a poor book
that gets recalled and everyone returns
Go check out Gary Govanus Server+ study guide on amazon.com. That book was recalled, (take a look at the reviews!)

If you used that book to study by
you probably failed the exam.

I would wait 8 or 9 months for a good study book then get the first book that hits the market as soon as the exam goes live (just to find out it is not good at all).
The Gary Govanus Server+ book is a good example of that.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2002, 02:23:51 PM »

Well Dagger, I can tell you are a fellow Canadian because you are just as stubborn as I am!

And why wouldn't it make sense to me...you idiot!

Why did you call me an idiot in your post?  I never called you any demeaning names and I find that very offensive.  The only reason I said that you may not understand is that you obviously firmly believe that your opinion is right, and I obviously firmly believe that my opinion is right.

I would wait 8 or 9 months for a good study book then get the first book that hits the market as soon as the exam goes live (just to find out it is not good at all).

But Dagger - you also have to agree that Microsoft and other certification vendors wouldn't like that because alot of individuals wouldn't take the exams until a suitable study guide came on the market.  Time is money.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2002, 03:18:01 PM »

And I called you an idiot because
I took offence to you saying
that part of " how it wouldn't make sense to me." like I was stupid or something.

anyway......doesn't matter.

All I believe is a publisher
should make sure the books they are publishing have quality.
It's very nice to have a study guide out
the same time as the exam, but usually
those books are rushed and do not deliver.
(that sybex server+ book I was mentioning about.....prime example).
I don't believe in that.
nor do I belive in people having to buy
3 or 4 text books for an exam.

But to each his/her won I guess...
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2002, 03:20:44 PM »

Dagger:

This thread starting out with someone asking about an A+ book, and ended up with only you and I arguing back and forth.

Why don't we agree to disagree and bury the dagger...er...I mean hatchet.

(I was just teasing - please don't take offense)

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2002, 04:49:10 PM »

Agreed..

it's getting way off base.....lol
keosk10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2002, 05:04:52 PM »

ok, I read in some amazon reviews and as well as what Paisleyskye said that the book doesn't cover the OS enough? is there any book that does and sort of fills in that gap thanks.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2002, 05:28:48 PM »

The All-In-One book is kind of vague in the OS department, particularly for NT4.

However - if you were to supplement the All-In-One book with either the Mike Meyers A+ Certification Passport you would have the perfect combination for studying for the A+ exams.

If you only intend to buy one book, I'm not going to tell you which one to buy but I will tell you that the A+ Certification Passport is very exam specific and is not cluttered with fluff.  Additionally - it thoroughly covers the OS objectives.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
keosk10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2002, 05:47:38 PM »

Originally posted by Paisleyskye

However - if you were to supplement the All-In-One book with either the Mike Meyers A+ Certification Passport you would have the perfect combination for studying for the A+ exams.

Can you rephrase that? I was a little confused :confused: but anyways, I was planning to get the all in one A+ book and then supplement it with something else as well that will cover the OS part that I need to know... are you saying that the A+ Certification Passport would do the job? (w/ All in one)
TW2001

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2002, 05:52:39 PM »

To paisleysky, out of curiosity what does your verified experience in a production environment look like? Production in the computing/enteprise environment.

You wont get wise with the sleep still in your eyes....
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2002, 06:02:04 PM »

TW2001,

I have been a computer/networking consultant for 14 years.  I have 4 employees that work under me as well.  I work in various sized enviroments with various platforms.  I have worked with every version of Windows including Windows 3.11 (one company I work with still uses it).  I have worked with Solaris, FreeBSD - you name it - I've probably worked with it.

I also own a computer repair shop with 2 employees.  In this repair shop I have pretty much seen it all.  I have worked with various types of hardware, including the old C64's and VIC20's.  Oh - and don't forget the ICONS.  

I'm not sure quite what you are asking because of the way you worded your question - but I have designed and set up networks. I have built and repaired computers.  I have served as  a Project Expert in certain cases and many other things that I can't think of right off the top of my head.  Don't you hate that when you are making a post and you can't remember what you were going to type next?

In addition to all of this, I am in the process of opening a training center and I am the mother of 4 children.  

I can send you my resume if you would like.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2002, 06:04:12 PM »

keosk10:

Can you rephrase that? I was a little confused  but anyways, I was planning to get the all in one A+ book and then supplement it with something else as well that will cover the OS part that I need to know... are you saying that the A+ Certification Passport would do the job? (w/ All in one)

Yes, it would make an excellent combination and you would be more than prepared for the A+ exams.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
TW2001

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2002, 06:43:15 PM »

Thanks for your response.I was honestly curious.I admire your efforts.

You wont get wise with the sleep still in your eyes....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: