pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  A+ book?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A+ book?  (Read 6062 times)
keosk10

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2002, 01:22:53 PM »

ok, I want to start studying for it now... are there any recommendations, my CISCO teacher told me that most books vary a LOT
RobertJ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2002, 01:42:22 PM »

Mike Myers All in One Third Edition.
PotatoHead
You can call me Spud

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2002, 01:47:48 PM »

I agree with Robert on this one, Mike Meyers is the best book available in my opinion

Peace Out
-=PotatoHead=-
     A+, CNA, MCP, MCSA, Net+
keosk10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2002, 01:55:40 PM »

ok, do you guys feel the same way about his other books, like the one for CCNA and that stuff?
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2002, 02:18:23 PM »

If you decide on the
Mike Myers All in One

dont'forget to look up the 40 page
errata for it...
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2002, 03:28:41 PM »

I agree that the All-In-One book is excellent exam preparation and an excellent reference book too.

You may want to supplement the book with the Exam Cram book or the book that I co-authored with Mike Meyers - "The Mike Meyers A+ Certification Passport".

It's a good idea to use more than one book when preparing for the exams.

Also - be sure to take advantage of the tech files at http://www.totalseminars.com.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2002, 05:58:28 PM »

Originally posted by Paisleyskye

It's a good idea to use more than one book when preparing for the exams.

Also - be sure to take advantage of the tech files at http://www.totalseminars.com.

I disagree, I don't think you should have to buy 2 or 3 different books to study by.
A good publisher will publish a book
that is the end all for the certification.
That's why it's a certification Study Guide.
The book should contain everything you need to know for the exam. That is why it's an exam cert book.

If not....then the book sucks, because if the book does not have everything I need to know in it for the exam, and it's the exam study guide......I'm chucking it in the trash! What good is it.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 06:46:07 PM »

Dagger,  I have never seen a technical book that was 100% accurate with no errata, and covered every topic in such complete detail that you would never ever need to purchase another book.

Using more than one resource not only makes sense - it's the intelligent thing to do.  Some books go into more detail on one issue, whereas others go into more detail on other issues.  In order to fully cover the bases you have to use more than one resource.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2002, 07:25:06 PM »

Dagger,  I have never seen a technical book that was 100% accurate with no errata, and covered every topic in such complete detail that you would never ever need to purchase another book.

Using more than one resource not only makes sense - it's the intelligent thing to do.  Some books go into more detail on one issue, whereas others go into more detail on other issues.  In order to fully cover the bases you have to use more than one resource.

No I meant that the book should have in it everything you need to know for the exam.
I was not talking errors.
By using one or more resources your proving that you don't trust the book you have because it does not cover the exam objectives fully......meaning that it is not a very good Exam Study guide no matter who the publisher is.

Remember we are paying $40-50+ dollars for an exam study guide. ....It better be the one and only thing we need.

If you have to buy 2 or 3 books and tons of practice exams and exam cheats to pass the A+ exams....there is something wrong.

One study guide should do it all
from top to bottom....that's all I'm saying.

Remember an exam is based on objectives
a study guide has to have these objectives covered fully. If not...it's not much of a study guide.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2002, 07:40:48 PM »

Dagger,

I understand what you are saying.  This is what I can tell you to try to explain it to you:

For the 70-240 exam I used the New Riders book and the Exam Prep book.  Both books covered the objectives, but objectives can be vague and each book went into more detail on different issues.  If I had not have used both books I would never have passed the exam.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2002, 07:56:24 PM »

Cheesy I agree with both Paisleyskye and Dagger on this subject regarding books.

Cheesy Dagger regarding the one book issue - in an ideal world you would only need one.  But different authors have different views on what you should know to pass the exams - I used Mike Myers "All-in-One", Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" and Bigelow's "Troubleshooting, Maintaining & Repairing PC's".  Overkill you may say - but I still use them from time to time to sort out problems, so in fact they have become an investment rather than a study guide.

Cheesy If you just want to study then not touch them again then just buy the one book - knowledge doesn't hurt anyone!!

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
cross36
Call me Cris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2002, 08:06:12 PM »

mike meyer's is an uncomparable book. but i also do suggest looking into exam gear's A+

Riding the endless light of fortunes...

http://www.darkroads.com
PotatoHead
You can call me Spud

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2002, 08:17:13 PM »

IMO, Mike Meyers and Exam Essentials=Pass

Peace Out
-=PotatoHead=-
     A+, CNA, MCP, MCSA, Net+
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2002, 10:35:16 PM »

Dagger,

I understand what you are saying.  This is what I can tell you to try to explain it to you:

For the 70-240 exam I used the New Riders book and the Exam Prep book.  Both books covered the objectives, but objectives can be vague and each book went into more detail on different issues.  If I had not have used both books I would never have passed the exam.

Ok....but instead of buying two crappy books......why didn't you just get one good book?? If the objectives are vague in each book....then they both suck to use for the exam.
You need to do some research and find a book that is right on the money.
dagger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2002, 05:57:43 PM »

Originally posted by wbafrank
Cheesy I agree with both Paisleyskye and Dagger on this subject regarding books.

Cheesy Dagger regarding the one book issue - in an ideal world you would only need one.  But different authors have different views on what you should know to pass the exams

Hi wbafrank,

That is what my problem is with some study guides. Each exam has it's objectives. Any author who is writing a book for the exam must be 2 things:

1. A subject matter expert for the exam
or
2. Took and passed the exam and understand the exam objectives fully and is certified.

Either way if the author has the proper credentials they will exactly know what to teach the reader on what to exactly study for on the exam.

Remember if it's A+ or whatever exam,
it's based on facts. For example the default IRQ for a floppy drive is 6. This is a fact.
This is on the exam. There can't be different views, it's based on if "you know the stuff on the exam or you don't". (talking about the author here).
What is on the exam is a fact.

In the real world there can be different views....but like I said, what's on the exam is on the exam it's a fact. The author has to know it...if not, then he/she should not be writing a book on it.

Understand where I am coming from now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: