pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 11:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  7 months in and no luck with breaking into I.T
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: 7 months in and no luck with breaking into I.T  (Read 5700 times)
nadimaj

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2001, 05:38:47 AM »

Over the past 7 months, I have made somewhere in the region of 250 applications, have received around a hundred phone calls promising an interview out of those I have only managed to land 4 interviews with 2 being taken to second stage.

I have had my CV looked over by professionals in the field and they feel there is nothing at all wrong with it. On a personal level I am on par with any professional who has been working in I.T support for 3-4 years - that's the honest truth!!! I have also in the last 6 months managed to land an unpaid full-time job with a small firm supporting their network and building/configuring PC's.

My first interview I was met by the most arrogant man who did not only refuse to shake my hand once but twice and managed to condense the interview to 5 mins.

The second interview failed because "The succesful candidate was a closer match to the personality types who already work there" whatever that's supposed to mean!

I now have 3 MCP's and am working towards my MCSE, MCDBA and CCNA. No one seems to be giving me that vital break I so desperately need. I am talented enough to get on with the job with considerable ease. This world would be a better place if talented people were given the opportunity to prove themselves, i.e. a test or something. The sad irony is that the very people rejecting me at interviews are the same people who were learning to double-click whilst I was setting up my home network! Everyday I see people in the profession who have not got a clue and this only makes me wheep harder and longer. Help me! What should I do???

My sources: Jobserve, Totaljobs, Reed, Monster and countless other agencies. My CV has probably reached every corner of the globe.Sad
« Last Edit: December 19, 2001, 02:21:43 PM by nadimaj » Logged
StewartH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 08:03:52 AM »

Are you restricting yourself to permanent jobs only?  Sometimes temporary contract work is easier to land. 3 months rolling out new PC's or doing phone support to the brain-dead might not be where you see your career going, but it get's your foot in the door.  A chance to prove your worth and get some experience to stick on your CV.

If you're going through agencies remember to be realistic.  These guys are salesmen and will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Get trying again in the new year!
nadimaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 08:21:03 AM »

Yep, tried applying for those too but no luck either. I'd be willing to work for free (up to 3 months) if thats what it takes!
StewartH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 09:57:09 AM »

What kind of experience have you got?
nadimaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2001, 10:11:57 AM »

My resume:

http://members.iomartdsl.com/~nadim.janjua/resume.htm
StewartH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »

Beats me, you have a good CV. Maybe things will pick up in the new year.  Good luck.
pikejl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2001, 12:43:15 PM »

My advice is to change it.  Put out a couple of different resume's instead of just one.  I got my first real job in 88 and quit it in 92.  The company sucked, plus I was young and arrogant.  I worked in a music store for a year before I got another real job.  That company was struggling and there were lay offs.  I got brought back on in 95, 6 months after my layoff.  I got a call for another job, the one I have now basically.  The call I got was from a resume that intended had put in with that company for a receptionist position.  The job was an Enginnering Tech.  Now I'm a s/w integrator.  At the point I was looking I was putting out resumes for everything from pest control, electronics tech, computer tech, receptionist, salesman, construction... You name it.  

Some folks like a good bit personal info in a resume, and some don't.  I'd put out another resume to all the same places with a little less personal info. Then maybe yet another resume in a different format.  Maybe something that doesn't say how talented you really are.  Sometimes young people with talent intimidate people.  Be humble.  Let them realize your talent after you land that entry level position.  Good luck, and don't quit trying.  It takes a while to break in when you're young, but hang in there.  It'll be worth it.
Nicole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2001, 12:52:48 PM »

Have you tried "pounding the pavement" at companies you'd like to work at?  It might help overcome some of the intense competition at the support level.

Your CV is clear and well written.  You seem qualified for a support position (per your objective), so if that's what you are applying for, it seems like you should be able to get some interviews, unless things have gotten competitive enough that you are going up against folks with years more experience.  An MCSE or MCDBA might help in that department.  

One thing that's probably hurting you is how quickly you've jumped from job to job.  Nothing you can do about it for now, but when you do land a new permanent position I'd try to stay there for a couple of years to add some stability to your job history.  That didn't matter a couple of years ago, but it's starting to matter a lot now.

Your CV also doesn't show "3-4 years experience."  You may have been a vital part of the IT department in reality, but it looks like you were a clerk.  Your best asset on your CV is your current position.  The text description is a little wishy-washy, though.  Try to cut out the qualifiers, for example "and often onsite" should be "and onsite," and "As is turns out..." should be something like "This network forms the foundation of a new Internet Cafe."

Things will pick up toward the end of January.  Nobody hires around Christmas.  Any chance you can get the people you are currently working for to pay you?  Are there outsourcing or contract vendors who will be able to get you in the door on temp work at various companies?  That'll give you a chance to show people what you can do, and get past some of the hurdles you're facing.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!
nadimaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2001, 01:27:34 PM »

Thanks for the advice Nicole, Pike and Stewart. I guess I'm sounding a little desperate on my resume and will make the necessary adjustments.

I left Loot.com because I wanted to study full time for my MCSE and the job itself was stressfull. Well, of course the position at Next Tech paid a little Cheesy but that wasn't enough to feed my expensive hobby. I had plans to stay a little longer but that was cut short when the Manager decided to close down and help run his fathers business whom he was in direct competition with. So a lot of this is just pure bad luck.

Thanks again all! Wink
bearing
Down, Down Deeper & Down

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2001, 02:18:19 PM »

Your C.V. does look good, but looks as though it may run to 3 or 4 pages when printed. Most hard hitting C.V's run to just two pages, those over two pages usually get chucked in the bin as most jobs advertised have a great deal of interest, and managers have to plough through many C.V's.

The idea of a C.V. is to sell yourself, just like an advert for new cars, Televisions etc in magazines, if they tried to advertise one product over two or three pages you wouldn't bother reading it and they'd lose a sale, you would be more interested in the small, punchy advert.

So try to slim down your C.V. and include those points which you feel 'sell yourself',
and try to kleep down the amount of A4 pages you use.

Hope these tips may help...

Good luck in the future....

nadimaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2001, 02:26:35 PM »

I do have what I term "A printer-friendly CV" that is only 2 pages long. I send this out witch each application. The online version is just there to provide some more detail. I insert a link to it during the PS line.
Benoit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2001, 02:50:58 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you nadimaj, kinda. You have alot more certifications than me. I got an A.S.C.S. and A+. I have sent out about 50 resumes in the past month or so, not a single response. I made my resume short and to the point. I could put in alot of other details, when I apply for a certain job though I tend to just put in the important stuff for that specific job and maybe a few other important things.
Alot of people keep saying the job market will pick up in late January, I hope so. If not I am going to have to do something else, I got a few ideas. Boy has my job search been such a major diappointment. Seems to me lots of lies about the IT industry how it's supposed to have all these jobs out there yet when you go to apply for them they aren't really there. Very frustrating. Oh well.

/rant off

If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.
jackiechan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2001, 10:52:29 PM »

My first impression of your CV was that you only have 6 months I.T commercial experience and the other positions that you held seemed to be administrative/office type work. In your case, stress your marks for your MCP exams or even complete your MCSE before you start applying. Try to get top marks. It is very competitive these days in the job market. You have to get good marks to get in just like university. How are your communications skills? I.T involves communication between people not just computers. Get written references from your previous employers and use them in you interview. Get rid of your interests and hobbies as employers want you know what your can do for their company and that your are the best candidate for it.

"you cannot put a good thing down for long" make sure you are the good thing.
limsam

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2001, 05:33:35 AM »

hi

Are you demanding a "low" salary? If so, the employer nut may think that you lack talent.

Sadly, it is not what you know. It is who you know!
BootData
non stop-learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2001, 08:27:40 AM »

looks ok to me!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: