pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 07:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  A good study guide for MCSE tracks
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A good study guide for MCSE tracks  (Read 2002 times)
wincoholic

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2001, 02:20:33 PM »

I heard that Exam Prep is quite good, how about Sybex and New Riders?
limsam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 12:53:00 AM »

Hi

Sybex and New Rider books are good. If you do self-study, practise everything as in the book. Then you will not forget the stuff.

I do not know about exam prep

Sadly, it is not what you know. It is who you know!
Warfare
Cyber Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2001, 08:12:59 AM »

I have purchased the Sybex books. They are darn good. I love the Simulation & Video besides the prep tests. Highly Recommended

Warfare Systems
Better Die Standing Than To Live Upon Your Knees
JJDinsay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2001, 11:10:54 PM »

The Sybex series is a wonderful collection, well written and chock full of extra goodies like questions and simulations.  But I think the best plan of attack is to use more than one resource.  I read the Win2K Server Study Guide from Sybex and then supplemented the chapters that weren't quite clear enough for me with chapters from another, more in-depth source like the Windows 2000 Essential REference from New Riders (Steven Tate).  For example the Sybex guide explained the authentication/logon process but the New Riders publication filled in the blanks like the Global Catalog, Site Replication and the KCC.  You're paying a $100 a pop for these tests, you can't afford to waste the money by missing out on a few of the details.  The last part of the strategy is to practice questions, Sybex has added questions to bonus CD's added to their study guides.  Examnotes.Net, Cramsession.com, Cert21.net also have on-line simulation exams and some even offer to e-mail you questions!!  I don't believe in the cram/braindump approach but I believe that the questions help you guage what you're weak in what you don't know.  For example, with the Cramsession questions that I've been e-mailed, I was prompted with some questions regarding the KCC and the GC and the ones from 2000Exams.Com prompted me for Intra/Inter Site replication questions, things that we hardly covered in the Sybex book (maybe I just forgot)  Anyway, my point it this (then I will stop blabbing) I don't believe in just one source.  My 2K Server test is this Thursday and I believe that I'm very prepared for it, I'm going to apply the same studying strategy for the rest of my certification exams.  Sorry for the BLABBING and good luck to all of you.
Gundyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2001, 11:37:32 AM »

Many people refer to Sybex, but some people like New Rider. It is very hard to say.

Take a look inside and find the one that fit your reading comfort

IT POWER
Warfare
Cyber Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2001, 12:15:53 PM »

My background is more focused on UNIX/LInux.
I have just purchased all Sybex MCSE core module guides. I wonder if anyone (with little Windows experience ) passed the exams using only that resource with online extra resources?

Tell me about the Riders book and where to find it, and which exams does it cover?

Warfare Systems
Better Die Standing Than To Live Upon Your Knees
shiva050101

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2001, 12:18:22 AM »

I used Sybex for my CCNA certification.  That is the only book that you really needed to pass the CCNA certification.  I hope you got some hands on routers too.  You had to deal with Todd Lamelle dry humor.  Lamelle did not cover in his CCNA book how to link a router to a LAN.  WAN link were only discussed.  Anyone playing with a router at home will have find other sources to learn how to access his/her router.  I did have to use supplemental test sources such as

Sybex for MCSE is good for setting up senerios for potential situation at work. However, for the certification test itself,  you will not be prepared for it.  You will need other supplements such as Transcender and techskills.

Sybex on A+.  Latest book is outdated for the new A+ certifications.  All Sybex did was take the old book on A+ and stamp updated copyright of 2000 on it.  
Read Sybex for actual use.  Not for prepartion for the certication itself.

Best way to learn this stuff, is to look at various books, go to various sites on net, do hands on as much as possible, and get access to some test questions similiar to what is on the test.

David
kappagamma698

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2001, 07:13:50 PM »

I have found reading thee Sybex books and doing the examples does help alot and then a day or two before the exam I read the examcram which seems to help explain anything that I was unclear about

Don
Helpdesk slogan
"Does anybody know how to read a manual?" Dogbert
xeeva

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2002, 08:45:42 PM »

How much would you expect to pay for the sybex books in Australia?
limsam

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2002, 12:25:46 AM »

The US$ retail price is 50 US$ (=91S$). I buy it here in Singapore for 65S$. So much cheaper that the original retail price.

I guess it is expensive there in Australia (GST etc)

Sadly, it is not what you know. It is who you know!
wbafrank
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2002, 12:56:20 AM »

Cheesy Though I have not used the books mentioned, I found all I need for the exams was the MS MCSE Training Kit.

One Exam leads to another!  Where will it ever end?
xeeva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2002, 07:02:53 AM »

Thanks for that, But I have just purchased the Microsoft core MCSE books from the US for only $60 (Includes 4 training CD's) so I have only paid around AUS$150 plus express shipping.
And yes that is pretty cheap for Australia, GST can get a bit mean.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: