pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-240
| | | |-+  Sybex??
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sybex??  (Read 1984 times)
Ames

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2001, 07:25:42 PM »

Sybex rock and rolled for me for my Exchange exam.  I'm seriously starting to think about studying for 240 now, as it is a month ago today that I became NT 4.0 MCSE.

I have found a box set from Sybex that covers the core 4, but I've heard that you should know all of that info anyway to pass 240.  I'm just nervous about TOO much information.

Any thoughts?  Should I purchase the set, or should I go for something that will prepare me for 240?  My only hesitation in the latter is that if I DON'T pas 240, I'll have to take the requirements anyway.

Hmmmmmmmm:confused:

Ames
Gareth Leung

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2001, 07:47:31 AM »

I have both because the Exam Prep for 70-240 didn't cover all the materials that needed. Smiley

Gareth Leung
MCSE+I, i-Net+,IT Project+, CIW Associate

Moderator of:
Freak's Forum
Paisleyskye's Forum
Gpearson's Forum
chunder
bleh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2001, 11:09:57 AM »

i have the same ExamPrep as GL. and i have the Mark Minasi Win2k Resource Kit (w2k server, w2k pro, AD, and registry) published by Sybex. i also just got the core 4 ExamCram. i think you should probably do something similar... cruise through an Accelerated book and then get a core 4 at least for reference, and the resource kit will also be great for reference. so much information to digest, so little time!

gareth, are you saying that you have read the entire ExamPrep? it almost seems to barely scratch the surface, does it not? i'm only about 5 chapters into it but that's what i think. i wonder if all Acclerated books are like that.. maybe i should look at the Snygress one my co-worker has.

chunder
Gareth Leung

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2001, 11:16:47 AM »

Originally posted by chunder
gareth, are you saying that you have read the entire ExamPrep? it almost seems to barely scratch the surface, does it not? i'm only about 5 chapters into it but that's what i think. i wonder if all Acclerated books are like that.. maybe i should look at the Snygress one my co-worker has.

chunder, I agree with you. I've read the first three chapters and wonder how I can pass this beast with this kind of information. Then I bought the core four and work on it till now. Smiley

Gareth Leung

Moderator of:
Freak's Forum
Paisleyskye's Forum
Gpearson's Forum
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2001, 02:51:59 PM »

At the risk of sounding boring by now, what I suggest is this:

1) Plan, in advance what electives (including the core) you plan to do (FYI, I planned to do DS Design and N/W infrastructure Design).

2) Scout around for the best and trusted resources (I used Sybex core four, Sybex DS Design & N/W Infra Design, MS Press Core four, Win 2k Resource kits and Syngress Accelerated guide.

3) Read each guide as well as the various white papers (I can give you the list that I used if you ask).

4) Study, practice, study, practice.....ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

5) I am available for advice if you need it (for what it's worth).

If you can study these, you will fly it...:-)

Andy C
CCNP, CCVP, CCDA, CQS (WLANSE, WLANFE, Unity Support, IPT Design, IPT Express , IPCC Express, IP Communications Express, CallManager Express), JNCIS-M #1027, JNCIS-FWV #311, F5CSE, CCSE NG, MCSE NT4/2K, MCSE:Messaging, ITIL, A+
Gareth Leung

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2001, 03:01:03 PM »

Originally posted by AndyC
Plan, in advance what electives (including the core) you plan to.

Agreed Cheesy

Gareth Leung

Moderator of:
Freak's Forum
Paisleyskye's Forum
Gpearson's Forum
Ames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2001, 03:03:59 PM »

Appreciated!  Cheesy
Cardiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2001, 03:21:05 PM »

Hey Man,

Seriously, I always look for your little pearls of wisdom. By the way, I would be interested in learning which white papers you read. I figure what the heck, if it worked for you, it must be worth checking out.

By the way, how did you find the Sybex series versus the Syngress. Obviously the Syngress book is a compressed version of the individual texts, but should have given you a good feel for the quality?

Boy, I sure wish that I could improve my too slow reading speed. Too much to read and too little time, for sure. Oh, I see that they have come out with a second edition of the Sybex texts. Anyone know if they are any improvement over the somewhat maligned first versions?

Oh well, that is it for me. Better stop procrastinating and back to work.
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2001, 03:45:14 PM »

Hi Ames, Hi Gareth, Hi Cardiff!!!!!!

You will all do fine in the exam, what I will do tomorrow when I get to work is either a) mail you the white papers that I used or b) send you the links if that's okay??? All I have with me at the moment are hardcopies and they ain't no good to you are they?...:-/

P.S.....Don't rush this one, if there is one exam worth taking it's time over then it's this one

Andy C
CCNP, CCVP, CCDA, CQS (WLANSE, WLANFE, Unity Support, IPT Design, IPT Express , IPCC Express, IP Communications Express, CallManager Express), JNCIS-M #1027, JNCIS-FWV #311, F5CSE, CCSE NG, MCSE NT4/2K, MCSE:Messaging, ITIL, A+
Ames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2001, 03:50:31 PM »

I read something today that scared me, that only 8-10% of people who take this pass it.  Could this be for real?  I forget where I read it though, might have quite possibly been on one of these threads for another exam.  Not sure.

I'd appreciate ANYTHING you have to offer, AndyC!!  This exam, I feel, is going to be a bugger.  Just ordered the Core Requirements set from Sybex.  It worked for me before, I have a good feeling that with some solid work it'll work for me again.  Hey, if I can pass IEAK with 2 days studying and a Sybex book....

Wink

Ames
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2001, 04:00:16 PM »

I've heard various % rates that have been posted around from 6% to 60%...but hey, who cares?Huh??

All you have to do is give this 150% effort over a couple of months and you will be fine  :-)

P.S.

I've sent you a PM

Andy C
Cardiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2001, 04:57:58 PM »

Hi again AndyC,

Thanks again for the info. I wish that MS had the same philosophy about not rushing this one! Ha..

Anyway, not sure if my e-mail is working okay at the moment. So if you send/sent anything to me, I might have not gotten it.

Hopefully, all will be okay by time you go to work though..

Yes, 150% effort is all that is needed for this one! Oh well, who needs a life anyway?

Onward and upwards guys!!!
limsam

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2001, 04:36:40 AM »

Hi

I feel the MS Press accelerated book is better than the examcram and the sybex. I have the sybex and it seems a waste of money.

I browsed the MS Press book at a bookshop and it looks impressive even though the book is bulky.

Any comments? I plan to buy it.

Sadly, it is not what you know. It is who you know!
AndyC
XML Spastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2001, 05:08:06 AM »

It's down to personal preference mate. If you feel comfortable with MS Press on its own then go for it, but what I would suggest is the Accelerated Exam notes by Sybex as a compliment.

I didn't use it for my exam but have since taken a look at it and I can tell you that it is SPOT on.

Andy C
AltCtrlDelete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2001, 09:54:18 AM »

Hi,

How long will this take, since you all suggest using 3/4/5 books for 1 exam....those books are very bulky. and time is short.

What book do you suggest for someone that has some hand on( which counts for a lot) on the Win 2k series?

Remeber I AM WORKING ! ! ! !
Thanks

IT CAN DONE ! ! !
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: