pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 11:09:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-221
| | | |-+  Need some opinions on placement of services
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some opinions on placement of services  (Read 970 times)
Bolero

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2001, 10:33:16 AM »

Bumped into this design scenario:
1. LAN made up of 2 interconnected Token Rings.
2. On one Ring, there are some mainframes running + clients + 1DC + 1 member server.
3. On the other, there are clients + 1DC + 1 member server. This Ring runs apps on the mainframes.

Q1. How many IP subnets (at a minimum) do you need?
    I only can see 2. There was a third one according to the answer. Is this for the bridge between the 2 Rings?

Q2. Where should dial-up services (RRAS) be placed?
    The answer was on the Ring with the mainframes. Wouldn't this pose a security issue by exposing your mainframes? Wouldn't it be better to place it on the "client" Ring and place an ACL of some kind on the gateway into the mainframe Ring?
    Of course this design does not have the luxury of firewalls so it's direct dial-up to the network.

Cheers!
trebor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2001, 09:04:55 AM »

Hi Bolero,

I am better at asking questions than answering them but since no on else is going to take a shot at this one I guess I'll see if I understand it.

For question #1, I think a minimum of 3 subnets will be needed. 1 for each building and one for the segment between the routers.

For question #2,it seems like the dial up clients will want access to the mainframes therefore the dial up connection should be placed over there. (on the mainframe segment)

If you find a different answer let me know. I would rather be wrong now than later (on the test).

trebor
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: