pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 11:51:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Book Reviews
| | |-+  Any One Knows Any Goood Programming Books That A Young Kid A Beginner Can Use?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any One Knows Any Goood Programming Books That A Young Kid A Beginner Can Use?  (Read 2275 times)
webd

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2001, 10:09:28 AM »

CAN SEOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME OF A GOOD BEGINNERS PROGRAMMING BOOK FOR A YOUNG KID SAY 14 YEARS OLD. THIS IS A NEW BABY INTO COMPUTER SON THE HOLD AND WELL WOULD LIKE TO DO PROGRAMMING AND I WANTTO KNOW WHAT A GREAT "START FROM SCRATCH" BEGGINERS BOOK TO START WITH???

Jamie Deonanan, i-Net+
techdaemon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2001, 01:38:04 PM »

What programming language?
exar07

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2001, 01:59:37 PM »

Try the for Dummies books.  Dont let the name discourage you.  I have bought many books and the dummy books are in my top 3 list.  

Those books are short and to the point.  Pluse they are easy to understand.  If you want to go in detail buy something else.

But "For Dummies" is a good thing!!!

Try it out.

Restart and Try again!
webd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2001, 05:01:58 PM »

well actuall its one of those programming launages that u can design graphics and animation with. so iam thinking in terms of c++ here which is the most if not d most popular.

please can some one advise me further??

Jamie Deonanan, i-Net+
Randy
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2001, 05:08:18 PM »

The best first language in my opinion in Python. Try "Python in 24 Hours" by Laningham. C anc C++ are excellent laguages but they are not good ones to start with. Perl is also a good choice to start with.
techdaemon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2001, 05:08:32 PM »

Well if you don't already know programming, I wouldn't just jump into C++. I started out with C, which isn't too easy to start off with.  The absolute best book on C. Is "The C Programming Language, by KnR", It's by the people who invented the language, so you can see why it's the best.  It is a difficult book though, but the best to learn from even if you're a beginner, because you learn right.
XtremeFighter
Brother Geek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2001, 09:33:49 PM »

I started with C when I was 14, and I got a little discouraged because It wasn't very visual. You couldn't do the cool aplications that you see in windows every day. The most powerful language for beginners is Visual Basic 6.0. I found it to be very interesting, and easy to use. The book that I have read was the Sams Learn Visual Basic 6.0 in 24 hours.

Beleive me, you will enjoy Visual Basic.
Currently I am focusing on the Computer Repair field (A+, Network +), stuff like that. I find it to be easier than programming languages.

So go with VB,
Good Luck,
XF

Knowledge is POWER, Learning is the KEY!
Boulware5
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2001, 10:22:47 PM »

Yeah, Python ( http://www.python.org/ ) is great for beginners. It teaches some good programming techniques that carries over to C++/java.  And I don't think it needs to be compiled; you can just write some code and it performs the action. You get instant results. Downside is it's not fast and you must have the Python interpreter to run it.

I, personally, have found VB very user friendly and a lot easier to code than an advance language such as C and C++.  It's better to learn C/C++, in my opinion, because that is what a lot of things are written in.  I really liked C++ until I stumbled on abstract data types such as linked lists, stacks, queues (although stacks & queses weren't too bad), but pointers gave me fits! The programmers out there know what I am talking about. Smiley

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Ben Franklin

http://www.stopfcc.com/
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2001, 05:14:40 PM »

Too young, enjoy your life!

Dummies is a good book to start, but u don't have any experience before.

School teach theory and methods while outside book just solid programming. It might be difficult to get start.

If your HS offer programming course, I recommend take those first, then look up other book.

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
BootData
non stop-learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2001, 07:31:14 AM »

obviously, differnt programming languages were written for different purposes.
for foundation, no doubt the best is C/C++.

but I myself play with Visual basic since it's relatively simpler and (mostly) offer the same power with other older languages (and most importantly: it's visual programming Smiley

Note: for quick RAD (rapid application dev'l) learn Visual Basic

hope i dont get flamed for defending Microsoft's product ;0
XtremeFighter
Brother Geek

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2001, 10:56:58 AM »

Visual Basic 6 for Dummies is another great book. It is easy to understand so it will be perfect for a 14 year old.

Regards,
XtremeFighter

Knowledge is POWER, Learning is the KEY!
The Ghost
Ditmas Technologist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2001, 01:11:12 PM »

Ok the only thing you should start with should be VB trust me you don't want to jump into C++ right ahead or even C. It can quite piss you off and make you hate programming for the rest of your life. I started programming when I was 12 , I started when I was 11 but I would say 12 cuz that was when I really knew what I was doing but anyway my first language was QBasic, then C, and now Java. I really think for nowadays VB is great for beginners , after that you can go to C and then C++ and then the allmighty JAVA and from there you can go to C# if you want.
LOL I just gave away a whole career... Wink
Good Luck

p.s  Like xtreme said VB 6 for dummies is good , have not tried it but my brother told me so.

Robocop_OCP
SOFTWAREPOWERSTHEINTERNET

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2001, 05:49:35 PM »

forget what you heard webd. If youre a young guy and you want graphics and animations, forget about programming in c++, or whatever.

First get into 3D Studio Max. Its the best application for making graphics, animations and games. I think thats what you want. If youre really an artists, I suggest getting into wavefront maya. Thats what Lucas uses in his star wars movies.  If you want simple stuff, try macromedia flash. Its easy for making south park cartoons if youre a beginner. You can learn actionscript for making interactive flash animations.
The Ghost
Ditmas Technologist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2001, 02:14:50 AM »

Originally posted by Robocop_OCP
forget what you heard webd. If youre a young guy and you want graphics and animations, forget about programming in c++, or whatever.

First get into 3D Studio Max. Its the best application for making graphics, animations and games. I think thats what you want. If youre really an artists, I suggest getting into wavefront maya. Thats what Lucas uses in his star wars movies.  If you want simple stuff, try macromedia flash. Its easy for making south park cartoons if youre a beginner. You can learn actionscript for making interactive flash animations.

That is not programming , kick me if I am wrong.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: