pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  A+ not worth it?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A+ not worth it?  (Read 1397 times)
RM

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2001, 11:22:44 AM »

I am currently A+ and Net+ ceritified and working on me MCP. I have been told that the A+ is not worth much in the industry anymore.
Is this true? I have also been told the material in the Comptia A+ doenst prepare you to be a technician.
Please give feedback
Randy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2001, 11:42:20 AM »

Basically. It might mean something to certain employers, but the A+ does have a ridiculously low passing score, and technicians usually aren't as sought after as network people. It helps, I am sure, but by itself it isn't worth a whole lot.
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2001, 12:19:35 PM »

I would agree that the A+ cert doesn't have the value in the industry that it once did for many reasons.  The proliferation of more certs from many vendors in the industry, and the large number of A+ certified techs in the job market are at least two of the reasons.  However, though perhaps not as valuable as an MCSE, or CCNP, it serves a purpose as an entry-level cert.  I had to get the cert in my first IT position within 90 days of my employment, so my employer viewed the cert as having value.

I think studying for the exam will prepare you for an IT job better than not studying for the exam.  Of course, the material presented in mainly going to present a student with the terminology and theory of PC and printer repair, it will not make you an expert - experience and further study over years does that.  The exam material is meant to provide a baseline, or starting point, and it is effective for this.  

As for me, I would probably not consider hiring someone who possessed neither a  college education or certifications.  I know that neither is the complete measure of an employee, but education of any type usually indicates a willingness to learn.
Tekmazter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2001, 06:05:28 PM »

It's pretty simple.  A+ is worth more if you have it then if you don't.  The certfication will pay for itself after you get a job.  Also, it is an entry level certification.  If you have nothing else, I'd get it.
OmnipotentOne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2001, 06:26:40 PM »

yea, the old objectives where a joke, my friend took it, told me it was a breeze and not to worry about it, but I studied up a lot and passed both exams no problem, in about 7 minutes, some places I've applied at where fairly supprised that I had gotten it, so I'd say thats a good sign, them believing it was worth something, I'm a bit worried right now that I'll get a job and not know what the hell I'm doing as far as actual trouble shooting goes though, but if it can land me a job and get me some experience then it was worth it.

Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2001, 07:26:44 PM »

I agree with Tekmazter.

Also, you will feel the touch after you pass the exam.

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2001, 05:31:19 PM »

Some tech shops require the A+ so that they can hang the beautiful placque that states "We hire A+ Certified Technicians".  Many of the jobs I've interviewed for required it and when I was managing a tech support group I required it.  However, let's not forget that no certification can take the place of experience.  A certification alone does not necessarily mean that you can breath life back into that failing PC:)
Just my opinion.

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
---------------------------------------
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
imran1430

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2001, 11:39:55 PM »

A+ certainly holds value and certainly will hold value in the upcomming years!

Afterall, to me it seems like "THE ONLY" entry level certification out there!

I personally think that regardless of whatever you will be doing in the IT field, you MUST spend a year or two dealing with basic computer parts, aka PC Tech Wink

Imran
A+, Network+, CCNA
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: