pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:37:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  Additional certs
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Additional certs  (Read 1289 times)
MIlan3

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2001, 12:06:30 AM »

Hello to All!
I really value the opinion of my fellow forum users and so I am turning to you for advice. I need a reality check- I am currently studying for CCNA- I will be taking the ICND course in early March.  I have the basic understanding of the OSI model and TCP/IP but still reading and studying (MCSE Networking Essentials).  My dilemma is I have a A+ cert but have no experience.  This is a career change for me and I am wondering if I should go for another cert besides the CCNA to beef up my resume.  Will someone really hire me with a A+, CCNA certs and no experience.  It goes back to the old 'you need experience, but no one wants to take that chance..'
Any advice is appreciated.

Taste for technology,itch for success
cryptogirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2001, 08:05:22 AM »

MIlan3,
Who can really say, someone might be looking for someone like you, fresh and easy to mold. On the other hand if you really want to get the experience I can only tell you what I have been doing. I choose a consulting firm that I felt had the most talent within. I asked them if they would be willing to let me do an intership with them for a few months (for free). They jumped on it and gave me a great education, in return I gave them a hell of a lot of free work in which they profited off of. So if your in a postition where it will not hurt your pocket, you may want to consider trying to do the same as well. By the way this firm also offered me a full time paying position when the intership was over!! Good luck to you.

Drive determines distance
Phergie
EDI dude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2001, 01:50:31 PM »

Look on the online job boards, look in the newspapers. I never see job postings that that don't mention experience. A few here and there might mention one of the well-known certs as a bonus qualification. Maybe someday if the market gets desperate enough, and recruiters/employers become cert savvy, certs will have more clout, right now it's more of the icing on the cake.
Cryptogirl is right, maybe there is someone out there looking for someone green, maybe you can arrange for an internship. Be open for relocation to another city, state, that increases your chances of finding something. Keep submitting your resume, and follow up too. Good luck
MIlan3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2001, 05:45:26 PM »

Thanks- it seems the internship/volunteer route may be the best way to gain experience.  
I will continue to look for those magic words in the want ads "no experince needed- we will train you and pay you lots of money too!"

Taste for technology,itch for success
cryptogirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2001, 07:25:22 PM »

Now your talkin!!!

Drive determines distance
Nicole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2001, 08:44:22 PM »

With an A+ cert, you can probably get break/fix work in a computer repair shop.  Of course, don't expect to get rich off of it... but you won't get rich off of an internship either.  When I did corporate sales, we always sent our top break/fix guys out to corporate clients, and virtually all of them eventually got hired by our clients.  Some of the others used it as a stepping stone up to more challenging jobs.

It ain't glamorous, but you meet a LOT of people.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: