pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  To Contract or Not To Contract?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To Contract or Not To Contract?  (Read 1806 times)
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2000, 09:52:00 PM »

Looking for some input here:
I am currently working as a level 1 help desk rep for a large company, and I make 26K base plus on-call bonuses.  I got this job while working on A+, and recently I got my MCP.  The work is easy, the environment is pretty casual, the room for growth about nil.
I sent a resume to a recruiter who has a job near my home town with a large, very good, company. The job is a help desk position with a salary range of 36K-41K.  The only problem is it is a 4-6 month contract with the "probability of extension and possible permanent hire."
I'd like to think I would perform well enough, but since I have a wife and 2 kids, I'm concerned about taking the chance (especially going 60 days before insurance benefits kick back in).
I'm not asking for folks to make my decision for me, but I'd like some feedback from anyone who has done contract work, etc.

But if you're asking for salary polls: I've found help desk in the Central/Southern Ohio areas range anywhere from mid 20's to mid 40's depending on certs and experience.

Cheers!
Eddie
MCP, A+

Eddie
A+, MCP
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 04:55:00 AM »

Is promotion coming to your way? pay increasing? ....

Sometime, u need to take a risk on your career. Family is very important, but your future also your kids future too.

If the new job is able to help u develope better career, go for it.

Think careful

Good luck

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »

Eddie,
I don't know your economic circumstances but unless you have a financial cushion to fall back on, I would not take an unnecessary risk like that.  

How long have you been looking for  employment and how long have you been with this particular company?

If you are still relatively new to this, stay where you are and keep looking something will come along in the mean time continue to study and get vauable experience to take elsewhere.

All the best,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
Bernie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »

I think you should go for it. Even is you do get a promotion or a raise do you think you'll be making as much as the other job. Take the new position, you will learn curb will increase, you may have the opertunity to learn new OS or other software packages as well as working with different equipment. Leave on good terms and save the extra income incase something should happen. With this new 4-6month contract you could grab another certification. I'm sure the new company would like that.
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2000, 07:14:00 PM »

First, Thank you for your input.  I had an interview with the recruiter this morning and your input helped.  Here's more information in hopes that I can get more of your input.....(pretty sligh, huh? ha,ha)
Basically, I would be an employee of the recruiter (with the title of "Technical Consultant")working on project assignments with the option to go permanent if any of the companies want me.  The current position is a help desk job, very hands on troubleshooting/fixing, with a huge company near my home.  If they choose to take me full time, I'm golden.  If the contract ends, the recruiter will send me to another job.  They state the actual risk of me being unemployed is very minimal.  The salary is a minimum of 10K more than I am currently making, possibly more.  The recruiter/outsource company offers application/certification training software for free once employed (a big plus!).
I just need someone to help me stay grounded if I'm just being mesmerized by the shiny objects dangling in my view!!
As for my current job, I'm due for the standard "cost of living' increase in May, there's little room for advancement, and the desk is changing, so the support is less technical and more billing system support.
Well, I interview with the actual company tomorrow morning, so I guess I shouldn't worry about anything until they actually make me an offer, huh?  
Honestly, I thank you for your help!
Eddie

Eddie
A+, MCP
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2000, 07:36:00 PM »

Well then go for it!  
It does sound better, but ask where they placed their last 10 prospects and what the outcome was.  See how fast he can answer to check his sincerity.  Try to stop by and him (agent) off guard,youwere in the area tell him.

Friend of mine did just this and realized his agent Lorna could not be trusted. I tried her too and couldn't even get her email address out of her other than that she would email me and never did.  And yes I tried 3 calls - got nowhere.

Don't sign on if you think otherwise trust your gut reaction!  Always served me right.

Once you take the job squirrel away the extra income to cushion a possible fall, in other words don't splurge.  Why because what he thinks is and what will be may very well be far off the mark!!!

Look I took a risk taking a job that I felt had possibilities. It is tech support at 46K in NYC not bad for my first IT job.  But I am also doing software development, troubleshooting and QA.  And I study when it is slow like now.

4 months later (after my start) 3 people resigned (one was my boss) and 3 were fired, makes me wonder.  So I am searching just in case but I know this is a good place for me.
I have a mortgage and loans so can't afford to risk being out of work!
Heinz:
By the way what kind of company are you with now?

Hope this helps,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2000, 10:26:00 PM »

I work for a Paging company.  It sounds ok, but in the short 8 months I've been with them, the role of the help desk has diminished from desktop, network, application support and troubleshooting to alomost solely support for the billing and programming software to activate pagers. There is "restructuring" going on, and I admit, I'm a little concerned about what's going to happen there anyway.  
I got the opportunity to actually start up a help desk for one of the divisional call centers, and they want me to move over there (positions) but they won't offer me anything for it.  
So being in a bit of a vulnerable state, so to speak, and really wanting to speed up my career progress, I'm thinking, even if the contract ended, having both as experience, wouldn't that be better in the long run?
So many questions, so few answers.
Thanks again for your time and for being so cool!
Eddie

Eddie
A+, MCP
Bobby Digital

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2000, 04:21:00 AM »

The most important thing is that whatever you choose to do, you have to be comfortable with your decision. Don't look back and feel regret.

As far as the contract jobs goes, I would ask for the agreement you and the employer reach to be documented. It doesn't hurt to have a paper trail.
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2000, 07:35:00 PM »

A contract serves the agencies interest and the employers.  They will make $$$ off you otherwise they wouldn't be in this business.

The contract will never guarantee your future placement or employment.  Simply be sure that it does not make you liable for terminating early or being terminated before the end of the contract period.  My girlfriend Monica terminated her position before her 6 months were up and she incurred fees!  Sure she found another job but she was still paying off the agent.

This may sound negative but truly I would take the offer just keep your eyes open and don't be naive about negotiating a contract.  Just because they type it doesn't mean you can't add or amend it before signing.  If possible check out their reputation first and take the contract to an attorney.  

E. Heinz:
The only thing the contract will say is that they will try to find you employment, but it would be pretty hard to prove otherwise - wouldn't you say?

You seem pretty level headed, keep it that way.

Peace,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »

Well, I had an interview with the company where the project would be and thought I did lousy. The interviewers' reactions to my answers were so difficult to read. But appearantly they really liked me, so I've been offered a position.  
I've discussed this at length with my family, and I'm probably going to accept.  I just don't know how I can pass up 1) the money or 2) the opportunity to learn so many other systems, etc. (The company uses over 500 different applications, and they us OS/2 extensively - I've never worked with OS/2, but the more feathers in my cap the better, right??)  I'm not looking forward to the lapse in insurance coverage, but everything has an element of risk; So maybe this is my chance to really get things rolling and position myself in the market (at least that's the way I'm taking it!!)
I definitely appreciate everyone's input; you've really helped me a lot, and given me some insight in what to look for.  I have a meeting today and am taking my long list of questions.  
Thanks again!!
Eddie
MCP, A+

Eddie
A+, MCP
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2000, 03:34:00 PM »

Well done Eddie!!!

I know it is hard to read people happens all the time, but they liked what they saw and heard!

Like you said the more feathers in your cap the better.    :cool:

Good idea I try to write out questions too, helps me to remember them even when I forget the paper, done that  : (

All the best,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2001, 03:12:00 PM »

Just thought I'd add closure to this thread.
I accepted the contract position despite the risks because of the opportunities to learn and the salary.
I gave my present employer notice, and the VP called me in the office.  After a short, but nice, lecture, he offered to match the salary and give me a promotion.  Then they came over and dismantled my current department: fired 2 and told the other 3 they were relocating (huh? Whoa!?!)
So, round and round I went.....again.

Because I'm already established (length of service, benefits, et.al.), and IF they get rid of me down the road, I'll get a severance package (if the contract ended I'd just be out of work) I decided to stay with my company.  The new job is "Business Analyst" and I'm responsible for all aspects of the new Inventory system/software.  Called the recruiter to back out and she was, surprisingly, nice though obviously dissapointed, but told me if this didn't work out to call her (cool!)

So, I get more challenge and more money, and the paranoia of hoping I made the right decision.  Thanks again for your help, and best of luck to everyone.

And I'm still going to pursue certs....now where did I put that N+ book?

Eddie
MCP, A+

Eddie
A+, MCP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: