pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 12:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  What about working for schools?????
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What about working for schools?????  (Read 1475 times)
Bobby Digital

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2001, 01:38:00 AM »

I wonder why no one ever talks about working for a school system or on the college level. Seems to me schools always have openings, but no one seems to talk about working for them. Why?
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »

?? ?? ??

job open for school? Where? State? Private?
How to apply?

I don't find many college had jobs open in the IT department.

I would love to work in the college level. Student always mess up the system, specially those group project in the CS dept. I been there when I was in UG.

It a mess. SVR down again, LAN problems, No DUN ....

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
Pavlov
Old Timer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2001, 02:30:00 AM »

Perhaps pay scales keep many away from the education arena or they use students from the CS dept as interns and they really keep it running....

Smiley

------------------
Pav

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
---------------------------------------
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Denwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »

When I was in college, there were a couple of us that worked for the school.  We were just doing basic stuff, setting up new students on the network, installing net cards, troubleshooting problems, but it looks good to have that experience on a resume.
Bobby Digital

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »

I started working for a public school system and now I work for a university. It is kind of a wide open area of the IT market, but as Pavlov indicated, lower salaries keep people out of this particular area. But on the other hand, you have more flexibilty, stability and security in this area.

One thing to consider is that it could be a good entry-level starting point for some one wanting to enter the IT field.
eheinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »

The colleges that post ads in the paper in my area all list a Masters Degree as a requirement, regardless of the position.  It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm on this end.
The public/private schools never seem to post adds, but I have an "in" with my old high school, and the school district has 1 person in charge of everything (about 6 or 7 facilities)...not too much opportunity until she leaves.  However, the school just received a grant to add a wireless computer lab, and I'm planning on offering my assistance just to get the experience.
This thread brings to light the fact that you need to actually go searching for opportunities.  Heck, go talk to the administration and see what their needs are and find a way to fill those needs.  You never know.
Best of Luck!
Eddie
MCP, A+

Eddie
A+, MCP
Bobby Digital

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2001, 07:57:00 PM »

I started in the school system by asking for a internship opportunity. The only thing I got paid was experience. During that time a position became available and I asked about it. Next thing I know I was offered the job. No formal interview or anything.

The position that I have now required a bachelor's degree but I am just now completing my Associates. It also required at least two years experience. I barely had one. I did not know anyone at the university so I did not have any inside help. No degree, no certification(s), barely a year of experience. I just had "hobby" experience and read a lot of books and magazines.

Like I've said before, everyone's situation is different.
PCGuy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »

I started working in the IT field while in college.  Fortunately, I was in a position that I was able to work for dirt wages while in school.  I worked for a person that felt "I don't have to fix it until somebody tells me its broken".  I went above and beyond the call of duty, fixing things that I knew were broken whether somebody had told me or not, putting in extra time researching solutions to problems that the administration didn't even know we had, implementing these solutions, and writing up reports that went to my supervisor as well as the Director of the campus.  I showed what I was capable of, as well as what technology was capable of.  As a result, I graduated on a Friday night and took over as IT Administrator on Monday morning.  Hard work and sacrifice will pay off.  Since taking over this role, I have employed 8 IT Interns, all of whom left the college with jobs in the industry, making great money for this market.  It is a great opportunity if your college offers a program like this.

-PCGuy
A+ - Network+ - iNet+ - MCP - CCNA - CCAI

-PCGuy
A+ - Network+ - iNet+ - MCP - MOUS - CCNA - CCAI
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: