pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  need career advice please
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: need career advice please  (Read 1126 times)
carlitos

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2000, 08:12:00 AM »

hi guys
i just got a 2 year degree in computer information systems from a community college, i have the novell CNA certification
and right now i am working towards a CNE(passsed 3 exams, need to pass 3 more to get it) and also preparing to get the a+, but i have no real life experience.
what could be a way to look for a job where i can get  experience?
i dont expect to make alot money, i am more interested in adding experience to my resume
any comments will be apreciated
i live in Long Island,NY

juan carlos
CNA
win2k MCP
Man I have become a discussion board addict - somebody stop me !!!  When will I get some study done ?
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »

This is a millionaire Q.

Assoicate degree don't help, try B.S maybe M.S

Keep looking for a job, anything from P/T, intern, volunteering, Job Fair(no much help with no experience) ..

Try go to career center in the school.

Try everything u can ...

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »

I disagree that the AS degree doesn't help.  Granted, if Kasor means it isn't necessarily going to dazzle a possible employer I would agree; college didn't give me tons of hands on during my studies for the two AS degrees in Comp. Sci. that I earned, but it did expose me to a lot of theory and terminology, as any college degree will do.  College however will give you another "feather in your cap" to a prospective employer.  Why?  It shows you completed a long-term goal (unless you took all your classes in one semester -nigh impossible). It took you some dedication and stick-to-itiveness to get it completed.  There are many who are unable to dedicate the time to a formal education due to money, family, and time constraints, but THERE ARE MANY MORE WHO ARE UNWILLING to pursue a formal education due to extensive TV watching time.  Again, like certfications, college, at least at the undergrad level, serves as another point in your favor at an interview, and you learned something in college - right? Smiley  I am certainly biased when it comes to college degrees, if I am in a position to interview and hire someone, an undergraduate college degree, whether in Comp. Sci., Math, HR, or English, and even from someone applying for an IT position, will get get a lot of consideration from me, as well as experience, personality, certs, job stability.  It is not an quick and easy thing to do.

As for your question, in my area there always seem to be a lot of short term contract jobs that pay OK money for things like large-scale computer upgrades, etc.   There also seem to be many Help Desk positions.  These are good entry-level positions.  I've had many calls from some of the job sites I've posted resumes on as well, though mostly for short term contracts, and I am employed full-time right now.

Don't forget that experience of a different type can apply to the IT industry as well.  For instance, to be a help desk tech you have to be able to communicate well with people from all different backrounds.  Have you worked a job that was heavy in customer service?  Also, have you worked a job that required technical support of other equipment.  For instance, I provided 24x7 support for customers on home medical equipment, not computer support, but the troubleshooting steps apply to computers similarly.

Good luck.

GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2000, 04:17:00 AM »

I was contacted for a helpdesk job by Computer Associates and  another I don't recall out by you on the island.  So I think your chances are not bad but do the A+ unless you know the material already then don't bother.  

I wasn't willing to commute daily but for you field service would be good experience too, just may need a car.

I posted to flipdog a, monster and hotjobs.  So that is how the headhunters found me, give it a shot.

Good luck,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: