pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  still just a support tech?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: still just a support tech?  (Read 1450 times)
Denwin

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »

I started at a new company 3 months ago as a support tech, now I have been put in charge of the multimedia systems, the phone systems, the 200+ computers in the company, buying new equipment, keeping hardware in stock, running the backup ghosting system, and am in charge of the move over to win2000 pro for all our workstations.  I am curious if this is still considered a support tech's role in a company.  I have been in the industry for 7-8 years, so I am well prepared for all of this, which is why they are giving it all to me. However my concern is my salary, which is at the minimum on every salary chart I have seen for techs. I was going to ask for more, but I wanted to make sure that this wasn't all normal stuff covered by a support tech. and that I was not just overreacting to all the work.

thanks for any advice,

Denwin
kwftide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 04:52:00 AM »

I am no expert negotiator but I suggest waiting until you have been with the firm at least 6 months, maybe a year. You may be qualified to do the work but you have yet to prove it to them. Wait until you have, and then ask for more money, title, etc. Make them realize (after proving your worth) that they would lose a valuable commodity if you left. You CANNOT have done so in 3 short months.

Anyway, just my opinion...
Denwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2000, 06:25:00 AM »

I agree, I was going to wait until April for my review anyway, which would be 7 months.  I was just curius if what they are having me do would qualify as more then just a support techs duties.

D
kwftide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2000, 08:37:00 PM »

Regarding Support Tech duties, if you are not responsible for server administration then you would still classify as a Support Tech. But, this is good experience. Like anything in life, this stuff doesn't come overnight...shorter timespan than most careers yes...but overnight, no way.

[This message has been edited by kwftide (edited 12-18-2000).]
Denwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »

thanks for the info
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2000, 01:15:00 AM »

I'd definitely wait the 6 months, or even better a year, to prove yourself.  And the job is still a support tech position.

At my first computer job nearly three years ago I took a cut in pay to get into the industry.  Then I worked for a few months and got a cheap raise cause I was "the new guy"; they knew with my experience they could give me something low, but I would stay just to get more experience.  That following year I finished MCSE, N+, i-N+, and a couple additional MCPs.  I was one of only two techs, out of 12, that was working on any certs. above A+ trying to advance my skills.  At my next review, after a year and a couple months working there, I was sure to point out my contributions to the team, how reliable I am, and the fact that, though I had worked there the shortest amount of time, I had advanced most quickly on furthering my skills(gotten certs).  This was an outsourcing company, so they were sure to point out to our customer that they had a couple MCPs on staff, including one MCSE, ME.  So, I told my boss I wanted my check to reflect my efforts.  He did, and was trying to get me approved for a promotion to get me a few more bucks.  However, the bosses above him started buckling, I started looking, and a few months later (on my two year anniversary) I resigned for a job making about $12,000 more.  Anyway, the company came through with the promotion two days later, still at less than what my new job would pay, and I told them I wouldn't stay.

Anyway, bide your time.  Be sensitive as to when you make any demands.  If you try at six months you may not have proven yourself as well, then they'll give you less than if you had waited a year and waited for more opportunities to dazzle them.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: