pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 04:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  Recruiters vs. Direct Hire
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recruiters vs. Direct Hire  (Read 1201 times)
kwftide

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »

I am intriuged at the number of people who seem to want to work for large companies. These firms can certainly pick and choose at will.

What about smaller resellers? Are there any in your area? You would need to call them directly and email or bring in a resume. But they seem to need people on a regular basis and you can't beat that type of experience.

I look at it this way: if I don't have the necessary 3-5 years experience in upscale technology, then I can't expect a recruiter to help out. They get a commission from your placement so they'll string you along for awhile. But, in the end, the jobs for most of us come through direct contact with an employer.

Now, in the future, I may go through a recruiter...say, if I want to relocate and have the posted credentials. Until then, I'll stay where I am and continue to rack up knowledge, time, and hands on experience.

In short, it's a process...
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »

Yeah that is true.  When I started recruiters ignored me and said i was customer support but not IT!
So I went through flipdog and I applied everywhere.  Landed this job with a small software company (which is owned by a major company)doing technical engineering support.  Had the engineering (non-related field) and strong customer/sales support experience, along with my new networking skills.

Now recruiters are contacting me haven't found anything worthwhile yet, but I know I will.

I too am staying to learn all I can the only problem is recently 3 people were fired, 3 resigned so things don't look too good here!

I think things will change by Spring, I should be elsewhere.

Ciao,
GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal
Bobby Digital

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2000, 07:51:00 PM »

People look at big organizations for the big bucks. Personally, I prefer smaller or mid-size companies because they seem to be more flexible.

Right now I work for a university and I love it. I may not be making big, big bucks, but I get a chnace to play around with a lot of different technologies.

Another plus that I like with the university is the benefits (i.e. insurance, tuition reimburshment, etc.). That is something that I find important in looking for a job. It has to be more than the money.
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »

That is great Bobby!

I admit I miss those perks - was with Rockefeller University for 5 years.

Had excellent 401K (the non profit equivalent) company matched dollar for dollar to 10%, life insurance to 50K, 5 weeks vacation, 12 sick days. great dental and medical.

And generally made my own hours up to 35per week!  The pay stunk but it would give me the free time to study.

Never thought of going back but if they were hiring I would be first in line!!!

GalaxyGal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: