ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-088
| | | |-+  Question about TCP/IP statement in a particular Proxy 2.0 Server sudy book
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about TCP/IP statement in a particular Proxy 2.0 Server sudy book  (Read 498 times)
AJW

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »

Whoever has the following book could you tell me if this is a mistake in the book?? The book is Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 Study System, Publisher is IDG Books Worlwide and author is Curt Simmons. OK here we go. On Page 49 in step 6 of the lab he states:

Because you do not want to use a DHCP server for this lab, you must input an IP address and a subnet mask manually.  Assign the computer an IP address of 10.0.0.4 by entering the address in the IP address section of the dialog box. You can accept the default subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and you do not need to enter a default gateway. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Do you see something wrong with this statement?? I though the default subnet mask for a network ID that starts with 10 is 255.0.0.0?? I tried the same exact thing on my PC and that is what it resolves to (255.0.0.0). The author makes the same statement on Page 31 in figure 2-4.

Am I missing something or is this author just sloppy in his work??

Anyones help is appreciated.
chunder
bleh!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2001, 09:48:00 PM »

you are correct.. 255.0.0.0 is the default subnet mask for the 10.x range of addresses. that's because it's a class A network. you can, however, mask your subnet as whatever you'd like so it may not be THAT big of a deal.. as long as all the computers on your network are using the same mask. for example, if you use the mask as a class C, then your network is 10.0.0.x (nodes = 1-254). which in turn means that you don't want to put more addresses in the LAT than you really need. with the above example, when you construct your LAT, manually enter the range 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255 and nothing more... you know?

the book does have more than it's share of typos which disappointed me a bit... don't use it as your only resource.. i also used ExamNotes from Sybex. it was pretty cheap on FatBrain.com.

hope that helps some...

------------------
chunder
  • MCP (WS, Server, Enterprise)
  • Network+
  • CNE 5

chunder
AJW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2001, 02:50:00 AM »

Thanks Chunder I also bought the ExamNOtes from Sybex but I decided to start to read Curt Simmons book first since it looks more robust in setting up a proxy server as well as studying tips for the exam.
chunder
bleh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2001, 03:51:00 AM »

wow, you're doing what i did... you're not my evil twin are you? seperated at birth and place elsewhere on this planet? no? hell, one can dream right?

ok, so do this: read the Simmons book and mess with the server whilst you do. then, start reading the ExamNotes book and use EE5.1 or whatever to start testing. Use the both of the books for reference. Also, back a few posts i posted some links for proxy and so did Yeti, that crazy Brit.

you should be in good shape...

or, do whatever you choose...

also, i was headed out to idgbooks.com to see if there was an errata section but they have changed their name to hungryminds.com and i got lost.. have a look. also, there's http://curtsimmons.hypermart.net,  and you can mail him @ curt_simmons@hotmail.com. maybe he'll send you errata.

good luck.

------------------
chunder
  • Network+
  • CNE 5

chunder
AJW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »

Hey Chunder you must have read my mind. I emailed Curt yesterday and this was his reply.

Hi Anthony - you're right! This is a copy editing mistake that slipped by
during the book's production. Thanks for catching it!
Curt

What is EE5.1?? Is it testing software?? I have the Transcenders already I hope this will be just fine to study for the exam. Let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by AJW (edited 01-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AJW (edited 01-10-2001).]
chunder
bleh!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »

i didn't use Transcender. EE5.1 is ExamEssentials (http://www.certify.com). with EE, from some of the tests, WS and Server, the questions were nearly word-for-word as the real thing. but with Enterprise and proxy they weren't. however, the questions were well put together and tested my knowledge well. so, i though EE was good.

as for Transcender, someone else will have to tell you if it's helpful -- i'd assume it is.

------------------
chunder
  • Network+
  • CNE 5

chunder
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: