pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Have you guys tried Hitachi hard drives?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you guys tried Hitachi hard drives?  (Read 1952 times)
Redstar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:25 AM »

And what kind of luck did you have with them?

I am thinking of buying the "Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM" it's only like $80.00 at CompUSA, but that seems a little cheap too me, so that has me worried.  But, that could just be me!

Have you guys had any trouble with Hitachi drives?
jkhnwspec
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »

I've found them being used quite a bit by OEM's such as DELL and IBM for notebooks and desktops.  I believe IBM (Lenovo) rebrands these as the IBM Deskstar drives and they seem to perform Ok.

Having said that though, I have replaced them when they fail with Seagate drives.

The biggest thing with this drive you may want to consider is the warranty, but that wouldn't be a show stopper.  For the price you quote, I wouldn't be afraid to try one.  :cool:

As for trouble with the Hitachi drives, I've experienced no more trouble than I've had with any other OEM supplied drive.  They all fail sooner or later.
Redstar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:12:36 PM »

Yes, I'm thinking of trying one and see how it works in a stand alone computer and then if that works good, buy more and hook them up in a RAID 5 set up.
Redstar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:03:58 PM »

Okay! So I bought this drive and put it in a already existing computer with a WD 120 Gig HD running windows XP, with Windows XP installed on that drive.  The new 1 TB drive I installed as additional storage (checking the drive to see how I like it)
It works great until I turn off the computer for an extended period of time. Say over night, upon turning back on Window will not recognize it.  I have to totally shut down the computer as a cold start reboot and the wait about 4 seconds and restart.  On the restart the drive is then recognized.
I have hooked the drive up through PCI Serial ATA Host Controller Card by I/O rest company.  It is a RAID controller that can be used with RAID or without for the SATA drive.  I have updated the drivers on both the controller card and the drive itself and still have same problem!
Any suggestions?  I have never ran into this before!
cornish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:07:16 AM »

They actually bought IBM's disk business. They run in enterprise servers at my job.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: