ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:00:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  Certifications to the employer?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Certifications to the employer?  (Read 3078 times)
mmdishart

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »

I know a lot of employers don't care about certifications, they want education.  Others don't care about education, if you're certified. Some don't care about either - but all want experience.

I've had some experience in the IT industry, but it was right out of high school, so about 5 years ago now.  I'm wanting to get back into the industry again, even if it means I might have to take a pay cut from what I'm currently making.

I'm working on getting certifications -- A+, Net+ & MCDST.  Is anything after this considered overkill for someone just trying to get into the industry? After obtaining those 3 certifications, I would like to get my Security+ and start on my MCSA.  

As soon as I have my A+/Net+ I'm going to start looking for a new position.  There is a possiblity that I may be able to switch departments within the company I current work for (that'd be great!).  Anyway - if that didn't happen, and I was unable to find unemployment elsewhere (I'm limited in the area I'm at currently, but will be relocating in the next 3 or so years) --- would it be bad to have my A+, Net+, MCDST, Security+ & MCP on my resume with little experience? What's been your experience?

I'm also in school right now to get a BS degree in Business Management.  I chose a rather general path to keep my options open.  I'm thinking of minoring in computer networking as well, but time and money will determine that one.
Gundyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:14 AM »

It never hurt to get some certification while in college. I did the same thing.  Specially if you want to work in IT world. Certification can help you to gain experience and also help you to understand what technology can do for you and your career.

Once you figure out what you want to do in your career. Then you can focus on your certifcation path.  Some people only do Cisco.  Some only deal with GIAC .... or CISSP.  

Good Luck & Study hard, but don't forgot to have fun.

IT POWER
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:52:33 AM »

Education + experience + certificiaton = might get you a IT job.

Good Luck

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
DivxGuy
Ex-Microsoftee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »

Education + experience + certificiaton skill = might get you a IT job.

Good Luck
Correction. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: