ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  CompTIA
| |-+  Network+
| | |-+  configuring an old J2591A JetDirect Box
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: configuring an old J2591A JetDirect Box  (Read 4219 times)
vpldivy

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »

Task: to setup a static address on a Jetdirect that I know has 0.0.0.0 and no default gateway.

I've never worked with any JD boxes before, entire network is DHCP, but this box has to have static.  

I have already made a crossover cable to perform this task, but I'm a little cloudy as to what static address I need to make my computer to telnet to my JD.

Systems Administrator
A+
96camaroz28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 05:29:35 PM »

if you have a DHCP network and your jet direct card is also set to DHCP which it is by default then it should have an address unless your card id not working properly, in my opinion you shouldn't user DHCP for printers but its your network so its your call
vpldivy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »

I just plugged it into my dhcp network and had it grab an address, then went through the hp wizard and gave the jd a dedicated address.  In the end, I was able to ping it.

Systems Administrator
A+
EllenD2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »

Hopefully the following may help.

So if you have an unknown HP JetDirect EX Plus J2591A, first thing is change it from an unknown configuration to a factory default and then program it to suit your own network configuration.

Reset to Factory default, the easy part.

Remove power from the unit, hold the [Test] button down, then power the unit and hold down for 15 seconds and release the button. That is what the manual(s) say, and it should now have the IP address of 192.0.0.192

But there are a couple of traps here.

If there is no network cable attached, it will remain at 0.0.0.0

If a network cable is attached and the network has a DHCP Server, which automatically allocates IP address, it may pickup an IP address from the DHCP Server. The IP address in this case it not 192.0.0.192 or 0.0.0.0, which can be a bit of a trap and frustrating, but can be solved.

There are two methods, connect directly to the JD from a PC using an ethernet crossover cable. Manually allocate your PC the IP address of say 192.0.0.10 mask 255.255.255.0, reset the JD, then use telnet from your PC to the JD to perform the configuration.

Or, if it is connected to the same network as your PC, and the network has a DHCP Server, it will be a matter of going through the IP addresses, pinging each in turn to ascertain the JDs new IP address. Start by connecting your PC to the network, boot and logon to the PC. Use the command IPCONFIG at a DOS Command Prompt to find out the IP address of your PC. Now connect the JD to the network and perform the reset. After the reset is complete and assuming it is only a small local network, the IP address that has been allocated to the JD is likely to be in the range between x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.255, only 255 possible addresses. So if from the IPCONFIG of your PC it has returned some thing like 192.168.1.10 with a Gateway of 192.168.1.1, they are two IP address you will not have to worry about. Now go through the IP addresses 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255, send a ping to each in turn. If you receive a reply, disconnect the ethernet cable from the JD, and try the ping again. When the ping fails you know you have finally found the IP address of the JD. Now reconnect the ethernet cable to the JD and use telnet from your PC to the JD to perform the configuration.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: