pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 07:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  Password Protecting a Folder
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Password Protecting a Folder  (Read 1400 times)
TimCass

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »

`HI All;

I need some help.  I am running Server 2003 SBE and want to know how to Password Protect(Secure) a folder that is a shared asset.  

I am completely lost trying to figure it out.  I can get it to where no one at all including me as administrator doesn't have any access to a particular folder.

I know that I must be making it harder than what it should be.  I also feel that it might have something to do with group policies as well but am still realtive newcomeer with the intricacies of that as well.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and most warmly welcomed by me.

Thanks,

Tim

The only stupid/dumb question is one not asked.
sting06

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:06:21 PM »

I'm not sure if you will be able to place an actual password on the folder, however with a combination of NTFS permissions and share permissions, you should be able to setup the type of security you are looking for.

Is your server in a domain?
TimCass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »

Yes it set up in a domain.  Got hired on here about a year ago now as a combination electronics tech/computer support/system admin.  

Originally was just the one server but since have added another one.  It has been a learn as you go type of thing (which is both rewarding and frustrating at the same time LOL) and my boss is in the same boat as I am we are picking things up fairly quickly but soemtimes get stumped on things like this.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

The only stupid/dumb question is one not asked.
sting06

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »

Here's what I would do...

Create a group with the user accounts of the people you wish to access the data.

Share the folder and place the user group you created at the only group with access and give them Full Control on the shared permissions.

Next, On the NTFS permissions, place only the group you wish to have access to the folder and what type of access they need to have. This will tighten security left open by the shared folder permissions.

This should control who accesses what in the shared folder. If you have any further questions, let me know. I was probably very vague in the step by step, but you sound like you should be able to figure it out...you just needed a little push.

Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: