ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-088
| | | |-+  Which One?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which One?  (Read 429 times)
kang

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »

Hi All,

I just did great on the TCP/IP exam and am at the point of deciding which one to do last, Exchange, Proxy or IIS....Seems to me probably better off sticking with the latter two since they are not yet retiring...However, a few people have stated that having the MCP+I at least is a favorable thing.... Not sure on that one...I think in my true thoughts the choice is between Proxy and Exchange...I have also heard people say, don't even attempt Proxy without IIS4!...

Of course personal factors always come into play, such as what are your long range goals etc...I just thought that I would toss that out there to see if anyone could provide me with a little feedback to help me come to a decision...Thanks.
poolit
You are Here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »

I would go with Proxy 2 only because 1. it is not retiring soon.2 network and internet security is needed in the near future.3 the test is not that hard to study for.I think knowing TCP/IP is a big help instead of IIS4.
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2000, 10:49:00 PM »

Hi poolit,

Thanks for the response..Well, I believe that Exchange is also not retiring...Actually, one of the things that I find interesting about Proxy is the security aspect...But, as I said a few people told me that I would be lost without knowing IIS4...They could be wrong..By the way I was also told that The orange and white book by Rivkin is very good for Proxy as well as the IDG book by Simmons. Do you have any knowledge of these and is that an accurate statement?

Well, I guess that I will have to way the choices and try to get off my butt and decide soon...How long have you been working on this one and what study materials?
I heard that Exam Cram for this one stinks!!

Anyway, thanks for the advice and any other input you can provide will be appreciated...Thanks again...
FreddyFlyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2000, 11:37:00 PM »

Kang,

Good to see you here. I remember talking with you back in the TCP/IP forum. I chose Proxy 2 because it is not retiring soon. Several things you need to know about IIS, 1) you can't use Proxy unless you have IIS installed, 2)you use the same interface to administrate both programs, Internet Service Manager. They are companion software programs, even the Microsoft Self Study book have the two together. I can see why they recommend doing IIS first, however, since I didn't I read up on IIS and practiced with it. Granted not to the level of being able to take the IIS test. I write my Proxy exam on Wed (11 Oct). I'll let you know then, but I think I'll do alright. From what I have seen in my studying, knowing TCP/IP is very important for Proxy 2, particularly all the different protocols. Good Luck,

Aim High!

FreddyFlyer

Aim High!

FreddyFlyer

Sometimes it helps to be good, other times it helps to be lucky. The best is being good and lucky at the same time.
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2000, 11:54:00 PM »

Hi there FreddyFlyer,

Good to see you again over here....Well, I certainly like the idea of not retiring but of course Exchange 5.5 is not either....So, I am weighing the options of one versus the other...

Yes, I don't know much at all about IIS and I see that the MOC packages them together, so I figured there must be a close link there...Well, I know TCP/IP well(let's hope) but I would have to play catch up on the IIS part....

By the way have you heard of that Ryvkin book? Its orange and white and I heard that it was excellent for Proxy...Anyway, I will continue to weigh the options...I hope that I don't end up flipping a quarter though!!!
Thanks for the input any other advice greatly appreciated....Good luck on your exam, please let me know how you did and felt about it, it might very well influence my decision...Yikes 68 questions!!! Thanks
FreddyFlyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2000, 02:30:00 AM »

Kang,

I have been mostly using the MOC. Going through it doing all the exercises. I have the Exam Cram and Sybex books also. I think the Sybex book is better. I don't have the Ryvkin book.

I have been studying the Troy Tech study guide and Exam Essentials. No braindumps this time. I have had good luck with both Troy Tech and Exam Essentials in the past, so I am hoping they come through for me again.

I have set up Proxy Server evaluation edition on my home network and have it running smoothly. Even have a Linux box using it for Web access.

I have heard Exchange Server is pretty hard if you don't have a lot of experience with it, thats me.

Good Luck,

FreddyFlyer

Aim High!

FreddyFlyer

Sometimes it helps to be good, other times it helps to be lucky. The best is being good and lucky at the same time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: