pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Novell
| |-+  CNE
| | |-+  CNA vs CCNA
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CNA vs CCNA  (Read 7976 times)
oddish

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2005, 04:55:01 AM »

Could someone explain the difference between getting CNA Certified vs CCNA Certified?
Most of the job market want techs that are  Novell certified and know Lotus note. I have been working in the field as a Network Administrator now laid off, degreed not certified in anything yet. Confused about which way to go as far as getting certified. Microsoft, Novell, Linix HuhHuh Help
darthw
Long Live Savatage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 10:10:59 AM »

CNA is Certified Novell Administrator and is a low-level Novell certification about administrating and supporting user accounts, printers, etc. on a Novell network.  CCNA is a Cisco Certified Novell Administrator, and is a low-level cert in supporting Cisco switches.  They are for two different technologies from two different vendors.
oddish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 03:19:24 PM »

Thanks  for the clarification about CNA vs CCNA. What would be good study material to use for Novell CNA? As I stated before most companies want you to know Novell CNA.
scav_engr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 06:24:53 PM »

The CNA is 'Certified Novell Administrator', the CNE is "Certified Novell Network Engineer', and the CCNA is 'Cisco Certified Network Associate.'  (no offense to other ccna post.)  

Novell has seemingly slipped over the horizon but the industry also knows different.  Many .org's, .edu's, .gov's, haven't changed over to microsoft, most likely still won't, and this is a guess choice for someone whether to spend time in the technology.  

I can do both MS/Novell and set out to do exactly this a long time ago.  I'm both a CNA/MCP, soon to be MCSE, and long overdue- CNE.  To me, for me, to be able to be a plumber and work not only on one system but two makes sense- Novell and Microsoft for base OS networking.  

The Novell certification program and information is harder to find than the microsoft but is also more meat and potatoes in test taking.  They don't mix a whole lot of words or play games in their test questions- a much better test taking experience in my opinion, you either know the question/answer or you don't.  Some aspects are the same in general of course though.

Once 'you've' learned all the internal networking technologies (either MCSE/CNE) plan, you can goto then the other and understand what's going on.  ie- DNS in either has to eventually 'work' the 'same' 'way.'  

My opinion for you?  Take on Novell in a CNE point of view- start working from the ground up separating out every part of the system in path for the CNE and this starts with the OS doc's just like microsoft.  The CNA test- this is an admin test about NDS, users, printers, connections, account settings, etc- like said.  

Hit the job market with what you got while you do this for Novell certs- the CNA first (only one test), find whatever you can- be honest what you can do, have experience in, find something and work through the Novell program in the background.  Only your own work will pay in all this- forget brain dumps, go find out 'why' things are the way they are.  Lay out 6 months to a year to do it all for the CNE.  (maybe u can cover/learn fast, 3 months, whatever.)  Cover a majority of the material FIRST, use Novell's edu section to guide urself along, and u can do it all self study and online practice tests.  

To then approach microsoft for the MCSE if you choose as you've said ur around all Novell shops, you'll know a heck of alot about networking- all of the functions, etc, from doing, getting, learning, for the CNE.  There is a big difference between desktop admin and being in a server group/team, perhaps go sell yourself to someone 'beg' to be part of a server team even as one as a 'beginner' but with your experience.  Server team for starters is where you want to be.  When people then complain about this- goto routing.  But, you'll understand routing and why after becoming a CNE.  CNA/MCP doesn't get to this, either program you need to go through to the engineer cert.  

Lotus has it's own cert program, is one program specific (opposed to Network Operating Systems that provide several core necessary systems), and Notes can be anything from an email administrator to being a developer for thier product which is many things including a database.  Lotus is not a bad place to spend time they're product is all over and in many institutions.  

Hope some of this might have helped.  

sc
johnaspen
Pi=3.14159265358979323846

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 10:27:01 PM »

Congradulations scav_engr!  You've just won $100 for creating the longest post ever!  Kidding of course
:cool:

Seriously though, good info.  I wanted to throw my pennies in and say that Novell  has shifted gears to the Linux world because they know Netware is a dying horse.  Hopefully you already know that, if not, take a look at the options you get when you install the latest version of Netware: Suse, suse, suse, suse, and if you insist, real Netware.

There are plenty of companies that still need CNA/CNE's, but will eventually change and thus your skills will need to change.  Cisco on the other hand is very hot and will continue to be.  Hopefully the market doesn't get too flooded with CCNA/CCNP's because there are a ton of people working on those certs right now.
scav_engr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 01:31:27 AM »

(I'll take that $100, cool!)  hehe...

Novell has been a dying horse in market terms yet for the thread poster- it's not a dead horse.  Whether someone would head out to start and ignore the MCSE, Cisco, or other stuff for a CNE to get in the market place- that's different.   This guy is sitting in a Novell environment right now, etc, etc.  

Alot of jobs still exist and are around for contracts for Novell guys as some companies didn't jump ship for microsoft and many places won't.   With the addition of Linux SUSE to Novell it broadens their horizons, but Novell will be like Apple- they'll be around 10 years from now and large institutions will still have it and pay a higher than moderate rate for guys to run it.  

Novell has it's drawbacks like MS or anyone else, but it still runs better than any other NOS out there and it's directory service is second to none.  'Active Directory' is pretty much a joke in tech terms, it's nothing more than a spreadsheet riddled with security issues, flaws, and in one big rediculous peer to peer replication nightmare.  MS could have done alot better, too bad they didn't.  But on either front MS or Novell hasn't been able to incorporate a whole environment completely under their directory system like both envisioned and I don't think it will ever happen.  

MS made a significant effort in tying in their domain structure solely to dns, but this rediculous requirement never had to be; and nor has this 'forced' anyone to purely run MS stuff like they had hoped.  

It will still be a mixed world, 'hot' things die off, and the major players then left.  Citrix is an awesome system but the world didn't goto all apps in web browsers like everyone predicted.  Also, someone whom wanted support Apple can find work in advertising/marketing firms no problem.  If a guy overtime was a MCSE/CNE/CCIE/Unix-whatever, yep, you can find work for life.  

sc
oddish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 12:21:01 PM »

Thanks for all your help, I think I will do both MCSE and CNA/CNE. I will be starting class soon. I also will be pulling out my hair. (LOL) Looking at the job market they do want MCSE, MCP, CNA, CNE certified techs. I am not disipline enough to study on my own. I wish I was:)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: