pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 07:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  IBM Thinkpad locks up
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IBM Thinkpad locks up  (Read 1042 times)
JJFad

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »

I have an IBM ThinkPad R31 that is locking up.  It usually does it when it boots and the Windows XP splash screen appears for a few seconds.  I hear a pop like a charge is going to the speaker and then it freezes.  Here is the funny thing.  If I title the laptop and then put it backdown the OS will continue to load.  If it freezes up after Windows XP loads doing this will also work, usually causing some activity on the hard drive.  If I boot in safe mode, the OS will load until it reaches the last file (mup.sys) and then stick there for a while until it eventually finishes loading the OS. If it does not doing the same tilte procedure works as well. Finally if I boot to the Windows XP CD it will freeze on Loading Windows and again tilting the laptop fixes the problem.  Also inssertting a usb device will sometimes cause the lockup as well, but unfortunately sometimes it does not meaning that I cannot narrow it down to the USB ports (or can I?).  I don't believe the problem is the hard drive itself because I have installed another hard drives in the laptop and the problem persists.  Does any body have any ideas what component could be causing this, or should I just replace the whole motherboard?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: