pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 02:46:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  CompTIA
| |-+  A+ forum
| | |-+  Sharp PCUM10M Laptop Enigma?!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sharp PCUM10M Laptop Enigma?!  (Read 2448 times)
Slipstreammer

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:25 pm »

O.k I need all the help I can get on this one techies !

I have this a sharp Pcum10m from day one i've been having problems with it.
Firstly when I ran scandisk to check the hard drive it says it had bad sectors so then it fixed them.
Next I put in the recovery cd's and i get another error message CRC Data Error #45.

Then after a do my format and partition it, something else strange happens, it says completes the recovery with the cd's but then gives me like a 2 second message that there's a registry error and a whole bunch of more stuff wrong too (blue screen of Death)appears.

Then it tells me either I have a corrupted hard drive or the hard drive is not properly terminated (this can't be It only has one hard drive in it).

Then when I try to run ms.afee antivirus it tells me that the hard drive has invalid parameters.

Conclusion (((((Completely Stumped))))))))
What to do ??

Is it a corrupted hard drive ?
Something else amiss ?

One more note too when I first recieved it I loaded the internet on it and installed a new modem. Then everything when haywire.
Could I have a malicious virus in it now.

Please offer suggestions help or whatever you think of the situation, because if i can't fix it then either i'll sell it or trash it. That would be a shame it's got a 600mhz side-step P3 Cpu in it, and 256 Ram.
obeel65

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 07:53:53 am »

Got any magnets near that Laptop...Smiley
Supertech
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 04:59:17 pm »

take the modem back out.

Slipstreammer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:41:09 pm »

I never put the modem in, I only installed the drivers for it.
obeel65

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:52:13 am »

I reread your post. So you tried wiping the drive clean and starting from scratch? With Windows I presume. I'd do it several times before I gave up. Then I'd try Linux. I wouldn't give up that easy.
Supertech
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:11:35 pm »

Laptops are a different animal.  You usually can't just pop in a disk and load an OS.  I would contact Sharp and puruse their knowledgebase.  http://www.sharpusa.com

Most laptops don't even come with system disks as the OS is preloaded.  Check for any BIOS requirements, specific drivers, etc.

Manufacturer is always your best resource.
Are you the registered owner of this laptop?  Did you buy it new or used.  You may have just inherited somebody elses problems.   :cool:

Slipstreammer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:39:52 pm »

I tried contacting sharp they said to just estimate what's wrong with the laptop It would be $80.00. Plus labor is extra.

I don't have that kind of money to give right now.

I've erased the hard drive like twice, i'll try to keep erasing it to see if the problem will go away.

But i'm still open to suggestions.
What would you do if this was your laptop ?
Supertech
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 07:12:01 pm »

I've gone to Sharp's web site but I can't find anything related to the specific model number you quote.  Are you sure that is the right model number?

I didn't mean let Sharp fix it.  Pretend like you are a technician and see if you can find the info you need from Sharp.  they have a section for manuals, software downloads, drivers, Knowledgebase, etc.

Redstar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 12:26:55 am »

If you had bad sectors on the HD originally and scandisk says they are fixed - that doesn't mean they are fixed.  I would try a different HD.  When ever I have this problem and the OS still want load after scandisk apparently said they are fixed, I simply replace the HD and everything works fine.  If the OS will load then scandisk did fix them, but bad sectors are a bad thing on HDs.
Spid
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 09:58:01 am »

I agree with Redstar.  HDs are mechanical devices which can fail like any other.  Based on the information you posted, I'd replace the drive.

Just my .02 :cool:

"I was planning to take over the world, but got distracted by something sparkly..."
Slipstreammer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 02:01:31 pm »

I called Sharp they said to just ship it to them and it an estimate it would be $50.00, plus if I didn't want it repaired i'd be charged a $30.00 return shipping fee.
And if I did get it fixed it would be a $125.00 Flat parts and labor fee.

Really adds up huh ?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I ain't going to ship it to them and let em take me for a ride with all my money :mad:

I keep trying to find a good sharp hd for a PCUM10M, but I can't find one.Sad

I tried searching ebay with no avail, It's like the part doesn't exist anymore.

Anyways if anybody who sees this site has an HD for a PCUM10M computer, Drop me a line:cool:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: