pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 08:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Old copy of Linux?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old copy of Linux?  (Read 1594 times)
Joelacrane
Stupid Member

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:44:18 PM »

I have this SWEET computer! its a 486/60mhz laptop with a whole 8mb of ram! It even has a ONE GIGABYTE HARD DRIVE!

ISNT IT AWESOME?! Since Windows 95 is useless and boring, where can i find ye old copy of Linux to put on it? I guess it will be useless too, but more entertaining. Ive always wanted to try Linux.

Ive heard Red Hat and Mandrake are good... where can i find old copies to download?

Also remember... im on dialup.
TheShadow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:22:36 PM »

Your problem will be RAM even embedded systems have more than 8 meg now.  If you find something, Debian will be your best bet as that community is always trying to stuff something into a smaller system.  Now most seem to be interested in running straight from a 50meg ram drive or booting from a Pen drive or CD making 64Meg the sweet spot for old systems.  Your system is behind those technology curves. By the very nature of Linux old versions for download disappear quickly.  It is the kernel that drives things and it has been getting bigger for years.
Joelacrane
Stupid Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 08:51:32 PM »

I remember when maxiumum PC did a thing on alternate operating systems they said something like "Put linux on that old 486 to have as a tweak box and be envied by all your geek friends!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: