pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 04:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  svchost.exe error
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: svchost.exe error  (Read 4766 times)
meashyxps

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:52:18 AM »

Hi everybody.
I have a Dell inspiron xps gen2. I have been getting this error message for over 4 months. [svchost.exe- Application error (the instruction at "0x00ab96bc" referenced memory at"0x00000000". the memory could not be written.)]
this message comes up when i try to access my computer.
I have reinstalled windows neumrous time with long format, checked for viruses with norton in safe mode. I connect to the internet through a netgear wireless router.
if ones can help me with this i would really appreciate it.

thanks for taking your time to read my message, have a great day. :confused:
acruth7284

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 10:19:17 AM »

Well usually when I get an error like that, it is because one program is using the same memory address as another. So basically to figure out what the problem is, you just shut off services that are non-essential and then check My Computer. If you get the error then that was not the program causing it, but if you don't then I would try to update the program or uninstall it. The other thing that I have seen work once, was swapping out memory. Not exactly positive how that worked but it did.
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 10:59:33 AM »

Your Dell should have come with a Drivers and Utilities CD. Boot up with that CD and run the diagnostics utility. It will test your hardware.

Select a custom test. Then go in and select to test the RAM.

If it is a hardware problem, note the error it gives. Call Dell tech support and have them replace the part.

Hope that helps.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
meashyxps

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 06:43:30 AM »

Thanks guys, i have tried disabling services from msconfig, NO change still getting that error message. Also ran diagnostic for the RAM and no problems with it. I don't know it's not really working.
I have been talking to tech support about this problem for 4 months already, and they couldn't figure it out.
Any other suggestions Guys thanks.
I appreciate your help curiousgeorge & acruth7284.

Thanks alot:)
TheShadow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:25:14 AM »

You probably have a bad driver that would not have been checked pre-sp2.  I am assuming that you are running XP if not ignore the following. You can disable the error back to pre-SP2 operation but you will have to watch things carefully.

Right click on my computer and open properties.  
open the advanced tab.
click performance settings button.
open the Data Execution Prevention tab.
select turn on DEP for all except what I select:
click Add
Browse to your windows root folder\system32\svchost.exe.
Pay attention to the finger wagging about you may have Fcskup big time and say ok.
After a few seconds the list will probably give you a check box with Generic Host Process for win32 services.
Apply/ok  and reboot system.  Your error will go away and system will handle it pre-service pack 2 methods.  That means you will rely on your antivirus to grab baddies named svchost.exe,  These normally execute from a folder other than system32 so they are easier to find.  If your driver is really bad it will be BSOD time but generally it is some type of memory leak that may run for days with no problem
DrZ13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 05:42:55 AM »

I have the same error, and this works for me, but "my computer" goes extremely slow, every time I open it I see the search-icon way too long, and when I click the adressbar it also takes a long time before something happens. Is there a real solution?
Bsiegler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »

I have the same exact problem.  Maybe the three of us should detail what is running on our computers.  Here is my Hijackthis.exe log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:21:06 PM, on 8/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\APC\POWERC~1\agent\pbeagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\APC\POWERC~1\server\PBESER~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\audevicemgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Intuwave\Shared\MROUTE~1\MROUTE~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Program Files\Express ClickYes\ClickYes.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SONYER~1\Mobile\CONNEC~1\CONNMN~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.scr
C:\Documents and Settings\bsiegler\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IB63QXM3\HijackThis[1].exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - Startup: Launch ClickYes.lnk = C:\Program Files\Express ClickYes\ClickYes.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Phone Connection Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\audevicemgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.purtek.com
O16 - DPF: {597C45C2-2D39-11D5-8D53-0050048383FE} (OPUCatalog Class) - http://www.officeupdate.com/productupdates/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1121767275718
O16 - DPF: {7584C670-2274-4EFB-B00B-D6AABA6D3850} (Microsoft RDP Client Control (redist)) - https://mail.tcgillc.com/Remote/msrdp.cab
O16 - DPF: {885BB46A-3F1E-44C3-A01B-A7D9260CC98B} (InstallShield Update Service Setup Player) - http://updates.installshield.com/CAB/dwusplay.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B52715E0-1CCD-485B-9A4E-EBBC2FF8FCAB}: NameServer = 192.168.0.10
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = purtek.local
O23 - Service: APC PBE Agent (APCPBEAgent) - APC - C:\PROGRA~1\APC\POWERC~1\agent\pbeagent.exe
O23 - Service: APC PBE Server (APCPBEServer) - APC - C:\PROGRA~1\APC\POWERC~1\server\PBESER~1.EXE
O23 - Service: IIS Admin (IISADMIN) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe" -service (file missing)
DrZ13

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:26:13 AM »

My problem is solved!

Alas: I don't know what exactly did the trick. The last thing I did was installing vbrun60 and some free backupsoftware http://www.karenware.com .

I also had to reset my networkprinter, router and cable modem, so maybe I've been attacked? On the other hand the other computers in my network didn't show this problem.

Spybot, ad-aware and AntiVir, http://www.free-av.com , did not find anything unusual in this machine.

I tried a systemrestore to restore the error, but it didn't show up, my computer opens in the blink of an eye!

Sorry about this.
Bsiegler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »

I found the answer too.  Disable DEP in the boot.ini file.  change /noexecute=optin to /noexecute=AlwaysOff.
meashyxps

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 11:38:42 PM »

I have disabled svchost  from DEP, but other processor errors came up like, "s24evmon.exe error" & "navapsvc.exe error" the error messages looks so much like the svchost error one, but i have only seen them once. Also I feel like my system isn't functioning as it should be though i have pretty good system.

one question to Bsiegler ( how were you able to post your running processes on here? Thanks

Thanks for all of the help
Bsiegler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 02:55:32 AM »

Hijackthis is an amazing freeware tool.  Here is the link:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: