pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 12:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  Kinda Bummed Out. Need Advice.
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Kinda Bummed Out. Need Advice.  (Read 10194 times)
Farrell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 08:54:41 PM »

Great. So tell us how to change our past and we will be all set. Sometimes the lesson can't be leanred until it is too late. And let's face it, I am not condoning what I did, but most people I will wager have done something in their past that could have gotten them in trouble with the law. The rest of you just weren't caught.

gregcurley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »

My advice to you is set up your own buisness, work at what ever you need to to support yourself. Set up a website for your buisness flash as you can, employ a student to do it if you have to. When you get a job, simply employ students to help you as students always need money and you learn at the same time. Degrees are great on paper but they cover such a broad range when you qualify you need more specalised qualifications. You don't have time for this as you'll be too busy making loads of cash. I had a web design company a few years back and didnt put the effort in i should have as i was making a living in my real job, but i got loads of people that needed experence and couldn't get a job as they had no experence and they were a lot more qualified than i'll ever be. This way you'll be helping yourself and those poor graduates that have to work for peanuts to get work experence. All you have to do is manage your new inexperenced workers. Best of luck
smalle

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »

Great to see so many people offering good advice, keep it up Smiley

never stop trying , you will get there
darthfeces

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 06:26:18 PM »

i think you have to be open and honest to a point.
don't volunteer anything.
i had a dwi in my early 20's.
i was worried about it and still became a cissp.
they're aren't a lot of perfect people out there.
wouldn't  you rather have someone that has their act together ... now ?

all those buisness people out there who went to college did the same thing.
at least the ones i hung out with.
one of my burnout buddies is now the #3 utilities picker on the street and makes 3m per year.

and our president......
even the fbi has a cutoff that you have to have smoked pot less then 20 times to be considered (where did they get that number?)
and a lie dectector. no i really dont remember.....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:32:28 PM by darthfeces » Logged

Farrell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 11:25:54 AM »

Thats what I am doing. We all screw up sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement.

phantomfreak

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 07:23:09 PM »

And let's face it, I am not condoning what I did, but most people I will wager have done something in their past that could have gotten them in trouble with the law.

I don't think most people have done something in their past that could have gotten them in trouble with the law (aside from Speeding/Parking tickets, but those don't really hurt someone trying to get a job)... and I also don't think we all screw up the same, some people screw up in worse ways then others and that differentiates people who know the difference between whats "right" and whats  "wrong".

Given a person who has a criminal record, why would a person take a chance on them when there are plenty of people with out a criminal record? (this doesn't mean that people who don't have a record are always "better")
Farrell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »

Originally posted by phantomfreak
I don't think most people have done something in their past that could have gotten them in trouble with the law (aside from Speeding/Parking tickets, but those don't really hurt someone trying to get a job)... and I also don't think we all screw up the same, some people screw up in worse ways then others and that differentiates people who know the difference between whats "right" and whats  "wrong".

Given a person who has a criminal record, why would a person take a chance on them when there are plenty of people with out a criminal record? (this doesn't mean that people who don't have a record are always "better")

I know right from wrong, I just haven't always made the right choices. As for your question, "Given a person who has a criminal record, why would a person take a chance on them when there are plenty of people with out a criminal record?, " maybe I should remind you that both our president and vice president have the same conviction that I had. Why were they chosen over someone else without such nefarious activity in their past?

It wasn't something that I consciously set out to do, it just a mistake. And "screwing up" and actively setting out to cause damage are not the same things. And whole you make a valid point, is my crime worse than those of lawyers who defend people they know are guilty of serious crimes? I think that if you defend a murderer or rapist you are guilty like them as an accomplice. But the law doesn't say so.

But I guess a nice suit goes a long way.  Wink

curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 01:59:57 AM »

I was offered a VERY good job a few years ago, then they rescinded the offer during my background check because of my credit.

we all take our lumps sooner or later.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
Diws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 05:45:45 PM »

One thing that struck me about the author of this thread's post is that he seems to have given up on the Cisco course because they were moving too slow.  That is part of the problem, I think.   If you at least finish the course, then you have that accomplishment under your belt.  If not, then you have nothing.  There will be many working environments and personalities in the It field (or anywhere else) that are questionable.. one has to just suck it up, whether dealing with insults to one's intelligence in a course, or paper-cert mad HR departments that hire incompetents.  

One other thing -- I agree that background checks and credit checks are seriously out of control.  they have the effect of creating two classes of citizens with less mobility between them.  And I say this as a pro-free market / globalization conservative.

carlitos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 02:58:07 AM »

hey guys

i graduated from a community college in 1999
(AAS) in ny, got a job,then married to a Californian girl in 2001
she hated the snow
so i had to move to San Diego in 2003
leaving my job behind
so after making $40 an hour in NY
all I found in sunny SD was  job offerings at $8 per hour doing the same duties as in NY

so i just
looked for a small retail space
and opened a tech support bizz

the best thing ever
i am back in college, taking mostly online classes ( when work is slow i do homework)
and making excellent money

if you dont give up
your time is going to come
just keep studying
good luck

juan carlos
CNA
win2k MCP
Man I have become a discussion board addict - somebody stop me !!!  When will I get some study done ?
Farrell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 03:49:32 PM »

Originally posted by curiousgeorge
I was offered a VERY good job a few years ago, then they rescinded the offer during my background check because of my credit.

we all take our lumps sooner or later.

I have had this happen to me too. But I reckon all is fair in love and employment! Tongue

walterbyrd

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 05:13:40 AM »

I have over 25 years in IT, two college degrees (math w/comp sci concentration, and business), graduate work in project management, I have held secret and top-secret clearances, and I have a fair number of certifications. I program in several languages, and have tons of experience in systems and networks.

I was out of work for years, I have only recently got a full-time job; and it's shift work. I'm only making about $50K/year.

I'd get out, if I could, but after doing IT for so long, nobody will even consider me for anything else.

I have a relative who was a GS-16, an IT manager for the federal government. Now he is driving a truck.

Are you really sure you want IT for a living? As IT jobs keep getting exported overseas, the field will only get worse. You say you're 28 now? A lot of companies consider an IT worker washed up at 35. Kids are getting out of high-schools with their CCNA, A+, and MCSE.
jagojago12

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 05:01:50 AM »

Originally posted by walterbyrd
I have over 25 years in IT, two college degrees (math w/comp sci concentration, and business), graduate work in project management, I have held secret and top-secret clearances, and I have a fair number of certifications. I program in several languages, and have tons of experience in systems and networks.

I was out of work for years, I have only recently got a full-time job; and it's shift work. I'm only making about $50K/year.

I'd get out, if I could, but after doing IT for so long, nobody will even consider me for anything else.

I have a relative who was a GS-16, an IT manager for the federal government. Now he is driving a truck.

Are you really sure you want IT for a living? As IT jobs keep getting exported overseas, the field will only get worse. You say you're 28 now? A lot of companies consider an IT worker washed up at 35. Kids are getting out of high-schools with their CCNA, A+, and MCSE.

With an outlook like that, chances are, the greatest roadblock you'll encounter is yourself.

Truth be told, the market isn't great anymore and in some sectors, can definetly use improvement, but theres work to be had. A mind operates better the same way a parachute does, open.

This type of thinking is the same thoughts stock-brokers had when the market infamously crashes now and then.  Even during slow economy, there is still money to be made in stocks.

If everyone remained in the similiar mood as yourself, people would still be jumping out of Windows like it's Black Tuesday.

The market isn't great anymore, but that doesn't justify not entering it.  The money you leave on the table is just going to be taken by someone else, and if there's a passion for it, I rather be happy than get paid better in something I dislike.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 05:06:56 AM by jagojago12 » Logged
phantomfreak

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »

Well said.
Trailer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

I don't think that the job market is that great, but in what field do the job applications guarantee you a job?
There will always be companies and computers. Just a matter of getting your foot in the door.
University degree means you are more capable to do your job? I think 5 years on the job experience is more usefull than a text book mentality with no exp.

I was lucky enough to get a job with a guy who owns a small IT company before I opened a book. I asked every person I knew if they knew anyone and I lucked out. The pay isn't great but if I attended the local university for their MCSE course it would
cost me 16k without even writing a cert. But I am lucky enough that he will split any new clients I bring in for him 50/50. So here I am 1 exam out of 8 that I am taking and I make more than a first year mcse grad.

The suggestions about volunteering your services is great. Even if they have a charity event offer your services as a prize for a home user. Worst case scenario is you grab more experience, who knows you may actually gain clients.

Our company has gained clients through other clients so start there.
I don't think I would like to work for a large corp and be stuck in the same routine day in and out. The experience range that I get in a day is what makes my job fun.

I've used your notes to help pass my exam. I can see solely by that how much effort you put into something. Keep going, you will succeed.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: