pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 03:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  USB ports dead
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: USB ports dead  (Read 2473 times)
Apex1

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:56:44 PM »

My Dell WinXP laptop had a power 'hiccup' the other day - would not come out of hibernation so I pulled the battery and held the power button for a minute, as well as unplugged the power brick from the wall etc, etc. Power reset fine and unit is back online - EXCEPT that neither USB port works. I have done everything i can think of: deleted the root hubs in device mgr and restarted, reset BIOS to default, run Dell diagnostics over and over. Everything reports as normal - except no devices i own - mice, printers, palm cradles etc - work through the ports.

Dell is sending me a new mobo, but doesn't this sound like a problem with the OS? I guess i may have shorted out something on the mobo - but if so then why are none of the diagnostics picking it up?

I've never seen this problem w/a usb port.

Thanks
TheShadow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 07:20:59 AM »

the power line on the usb port could have been fused to protect battery overloading and fire.  A diagnostic would only check the controller chip.  Got something that lights up when power is applied like a pen drive or optical mouse.
Apex1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »

Yes, I thought of that - but both optical mice I own light right up when plugged in - so the 5vdc must be getting through?
Apex1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:59:25 PM »

Sonofagun - I just replaced the mobo and the ports are working again. So it is possible for the power to get through but not the data. Strange - I never thought it would work. The controller chip was fine as reported by the various diagnostics, and my optical mice both lit up, but no data through the port. Go figure.

...learn something every day!
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:23:19 PM »

very interesting..., l learned something today...

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
tbone654

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 06:55:35 PM »

Good post.  I learned something as well.
ChrisDfer
Certified Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 07:29:16 AM »

werd:cool:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: