pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 12:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  SQL server exams
| | |-+  mcdba path
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: mcdba path  (Read 4385 times)
icwicks

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »

Hello All,
I have decided to start studying for the MCDBA certification.

I passed the 70-028 exam back in 1999
(as well as networking essentials, nt ws and nt server....i don't think any of these are now relevant)

I think I am right in saying that my 70-028 is still relevant and counts towards the first core exam of my certification.

I plan to do the following exams

70-229 Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 200 Enterprise Edition
and
70-291 Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
and
70ΤΗτ305: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic?« .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio?« .NET

My Questions are;
1. is this a sensible path?
2. How long should i study for each exam (it's so long since i last did one i've forgotten)
icwicks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 05:01:57 PM »

Also which order would anyone out there recommend?

Thanks
cppwiz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »

No, unfortunately what you have listed will not work.  There is a footnote on the MCDBA requirements page that states 70-028 cannot be used with 70-291.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdba/requirements.asp

You could take 70-215 (Windows 2000 Server) instead of 70-291 and then your 70-028 would count for credit in your MCDBA.

As for the order of the exams, I would recommend you take 70-215 first because it is fairly easy, then 70-229 and 70-305 because they have some overlap.  Good luck!
icwicks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 04:05:32 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out. It seems silly that they are then forcing me to study "older" technology by doing the Windows 2000 exam?
cppwiz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »

Well your MCDBA certificate and logo will say "MCDBA on SQL Server 2000" even if you passed one of the SQL Server 7 or Windows 2003 exams.  In other words, your freshly minted certification will still reflect on the older technology.  I think their reasons for not allowing the SQL Server 7/Windows 2003 combo are valid:

1. SQL Server 7 isn't supported on Windows 2003.
2. They haven't yet defined the requirements for the MCDBA on SQL Server 2005 certification.

Microsoft is trying to phase out the SQL Server 7 certification gradually.  It could be much worse if they simply didn't give credit for any of the SQL Server 7 exams since Mainstream Support for SQL Server 7 ends this year.
icwicks

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:41:44 AM »

Appreciate your help and advice. Just two more quick questions if that's ok.

1. After I achieve the sql server 2000 mcdba, will there be a fairly straightforward path to upgrade to SQL server 2005 or would i need to do the whole thing again

2. How long is a sensible amount of time to study for each exam. I would like to book them in advance inorder to increase my motivation and urgency but am not quite sure how long I should study.

Thanks again
cppwiz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 01:51:27 PM »

To answer your questions:

1. Microsoft hasn't released the certification requirements for SQL Server 2005 yet, but based on information I got from them at a conference last fall I would guess that none of the current exams will count for credit in the new certification.  They are redesigning the SQL Server certification to fit the industry needs.  More people will be using SQL2K5 for business intelligence instead of just DBA nuts-and-bolts type tasks.  It's becoming a bigger and more complex product, so it needs several focused, dedicated certifications.  No more crossover with the MCSE and MCSD certifcations.  They may offer some incentive for current MCDBA's to upgrade, but my guess (and hope) is that everyone will have to take the full certification path to become a MCDBA 2005.

2. Less than two months per exam is ideal, depending on your experience level.  It takes me about a month to go through a book and practice the exercises.  Then I take two weeks to go through the Transcender practice exams and review.  Of course, sometimes life gets in the way of certification, but I usually plan for a two-month target.  Good luck!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: