pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 09:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Other IT certifications
| |-+  CISSP
| | |-+  Exam Requirements
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exam Requirements  (Read 4176 times)
aj2020

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »

I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and a Masters degree in Computer Science.  Does this knock off two years from the CISSP 4 year experience requirement?

Also during my Masters, I worked full time for 3 months as a Research Assistant and My research was in Distributed Denial of Service.  Can I include this as experience towards CISSP requirement?

I tried contacting ISC2 but only got no authorative reply.
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:47:16 AM »

According to the (ISC)2 website a four year degree counts as one year of experience and a masters degree in information security from a "national center of excellence" counts as an additional year.

The key point is that the masters must be in a specific area from one of a select group of institutions. I think this link will help you determine the criteria for a school to be a center of excellence.

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academia/caeiae.cfm

Your masters in computer science doesn't qualify in itself.

Your 3 months of work should count, as well as anything else related to the 10 CBK domains. If you can document any amount of experience professionaly that aggregates to 3 years you should be okay. For example, any technical job in informations systems, telecommunications, etc. should also qualify. You also should be able to count volunteer work.

Worst case is that you could take the exam and be qualified as an "associate" which would allow you to earn the experience .

pasted from the ISC2 website:
The candidate who wishes to sit for the CISSP or the SSCP test may do so, even if he or she is still accumulating the required experience. On the examination application form (Web or paper format), the candidate must (1) complete all the information requested including executing the agreement subscribing to the Code of Ethics, (2) outline his or her experience, (3) indicate when he or she expects to obtain the number of years required for certification (4 years for CISSP and 1 year for SSCP)

Good Luck
aj2020

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50:25 AM »

Thanks for all that info.

My Masters is from Drexel University which appears in the list of "national center of excellence" according to the link you provided.  But Drexel does not provide a Masters in Information Security.  Does a Masters in Computer Science from a National Center of Excellence in Information Assurance count for 1 yr experience?

I hope so, or else I have 1.5 yrs to go before qualifying for CISSP.
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »

From drexel's website:

Drexel University was re-designated by the National Security Agency (NSA) as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education for academic years 2004-2007. Drexel's application for re-designation was authored by Dr. Moshe Kam, who also the principal author of Drexel's original application and is the center‘«÷s director.

The application included a detailed university-wide "inventory" of courses, research projects and publications as well as a review of information assurance policies and resources at the University. It also included action plans and a forecast of future development of the field at Drexel along with a detailed mapping of Drexel courses to NSA specific requirements, which number over 100. Designation as a CAEIAE is valid for three academic years, after which the school must reapply in order to retain its designation.

Depending on how your Masters program was structured and when you attended/completed it may affect things.

You may want to contact your university and discuss this a bit, I would also suggest calling ISC2 directly.

PH:  +1.888.333.4458 or +1.727.738.8657
FX:  +1.727.738.8522
EM:  service@isc2.org

Alternatively, you could just go ahead and register for the test, you have to claim your experience/degree at time of registration. If they accept your application to sit for the test you may be okay. I would definitely call in that case. Worst case is you sit for the test and qualify as an associate.
aj2020

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply.  I appreciate your help.  I think I will go for CISSP at the end of this year.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: