pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  RAM problems, help plz!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RAM problems, help plz!  (Read 1914 times)
ubatch

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:50:40 PM »

Quick questions about RAM.  I thought buying a new RAM stick would be quick and painless.  Guess again.

I bought a 256 pc133 32x16 stick of ram from an online dealer just the other day.  It is a Samsung brand.  The current stick in my computer is same deal cept not sure what brand (generic? /shrug).

So, I go to plug it in with the other stick and I am getting some weird issues with it.  First, my mobo has two banks for RAM up to 2 x 256.  The configurations i've tried are as follows, and issues as well.

If I stick the old one in bank 0, and new one in bank 1, the boot up counts up to 510M but it keeps asking me to boot windows in safe mode, or normal (plus safe with networking etc) but never actually loads windows.  When I try normal, it just reboots.  When I try with safe mode I can see it doing its thing with drivers or whatever, but after a lot of drivers it does this blue screen dealey and reboots real quick (too fast to read blue screen).

Second config would be bank 0 is the new, bank 1 is the old stick.  Here's where the fun begins...It only counts up to 56M Extended Memory, and freezes.  I can't even go into setup at this point...any ideas?

Third, I try just using the new stick in bank 0 and it again only counts to 56M Extended Memory and does the same freeze game.

Lastly, I tried to switch the new memory into bank 1, nothing in bank 0 that is...it counts to 56M and freezes...

...That's all folks, no going past GO, and no collecting your $200.  

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I am currently purchasing another stick of ram from the same online dealer to try it when it gets here, if it works with my old ram, sending back the first one I bought...to me, it's busted, since it'll only count 56M, but that's just a guess.  Otherwise, I will try to use both new rams with eachother...if that doesnt work, I DONT KNOW! /sigh.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 05:06:16 PM »

My guess is the new RAM is bad. I would just return it and buy from a different vendor.
http://www.memory4less.com has always been good for me.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
rmarrero
Ghost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 03:45:28 AM »

Before sending your mem back, try to check the mem to a different mobo and see whether its the mem or the mobo has the deffect.
vbFerdi2nd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 12:02:26 AM »

i also have a dell, mine is a Dimension 8200, about 2 years old... it had 2 sticks of 128, and i was looking to replace one with a 512...but dells, the older models at least, can only have memory replaced in IDENTICAL pairs of ram, as in same company, same speed (mhz), same everything.

if you have an older model like mine, it is also required to be 800 mhz..which makes it for a more expensive and difficult search for ram.

I learned all this from trying several times to find ram at several different stores and recieving the same information from every representative.

i came to the forum thouhg to find out how to fix my computer, after replacing my ram with the 2 sticks of 256, my bios recognized it imidately, before hand though i accidently removed one of the 2 sticks which run parallel to the ram, and also look like ram, though they are not, i dont know what they are...

but now my computer runs EXTREMELY slow,so i decided to reformat, and the process which previously took maybe 20 minutes, now took about 6 hours, and once completed it takes windows about 20 minutes just to boot up...

any input would be appreciated

the unknow stick i removed was labeled...

dell info (copywrites and such)
28 omms in upper left corner, and PWB 9578d in the upper right, and the number 0230 along one side, and it looks like a small stick of ram
shakthi.it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:43:10 AM »

Pls try only with the New RAM Stick. If the system boots up properly, then the speed between both RAM's are mismatching. Change the new RAM, and buy a one which matches the old RAM Speed

If the system is not booting new RAM then the RAM is faulty. Buy a one which matches the old RAM Speed.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: