pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 10:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  70-215
| | |-+  active directory installation
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: active directory installation  (Read 5920 times)
netnewsnow

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2005, 02:13:41 PM »

I've been doing tests on this and I come up with strange results every time.

My first question is: How do you properly install active directory.

This is what I've done.
1- run dcpromo
2- cant find dns server, auto setup
3- system puts by itself in the tcp/ip settings dsn 127.0.0.1, which I understand but cant configure myself, I get the error message from windows.

now, when I log on, I get the first logon that is very long, then the others are fine. My station as the 2k server as dns, a different router, and the 2k dns has forwarding for my linksys router.

Now, how would I go about doing this manually, meaning setting up the dns records. Would I have to do new zone and add my server has the host, copy the same types of records win2k installs with active directory?

For instance, lets say I have a corrupted 2kserver where active directory is fine but dns is bad, how can I setup a second 2k server to be the dns?

The swiff wings of death... my preciousss.
sandy7000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 06:22:17 PM »

My first 2 thoughts were that you need to add a static entry into the hosts file relating to your dns server, and you have NIC connectivity issues.  

AFAIK, regarding DNS, 127.0.0.1 is called up from the hosts file.

(I'm posting from Linux, so if you do a search for the hosts file, you'll come up with the correct Windows one.  Not LMHOSTS..this is related to netbios.  Open the file in wordpad & follow the instructions for adding a static entry.)

How's your connectivity on layer 2 (ping)?  It seems as if you're connecting at some point.  My thought is that nbt is kicking in to compensate.

P.S.
Adding a static entry is what I think you would do to manually add another dns server (to hopefully help you answer your question).
netnewsnow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

Thank you sandy. As for the nic connectivity problem, that is a negative, all is good there. The problem lies in the fact that active directory seems to be having problems when dns records are not properly setup. I believe the same as you when you say netbios kicks in, but it does not go all the way.

About the host files. Thats what the last admin did to resolve the issue, but I know that its not the proper solution since we still have a name resolution problem on the server itself and that replication will sufer. Yes, I could probably install host files on every station and server, but that would not help me understand proper a/d functions regarding dns resolution.

Someone did post some good info on it on a microsoft forum and that cleared up a lot of things. Found the netdiag tool that showed me that the dns resolution was not functionning properly.

What I meant about 127.0.0.1 is that if I install a/c, it asks for dns info, if It cant find it, it will configure it and put in the tcp/ip settings 127, but if I try to manually put 127, I get an error message which I find rather odd, so I usually have to put the dns as the ip of the station itself (which is the dns server also) to resolve it properly.

"Adding a static entry is what I think you would do to manually add another dns server (to hopefully help you answer your question)."
Tried that, but the problem is a/d, when installed, adds records like the following image, which I'm not sure what exactly each does, so I cant just start typing these since I dont understand them.

Thanks for your info.

netnewsnow

View Profile
pic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 05:29:47 PM »

pic is kinda small, second try.
3 records
name-type-data
(same as parent folder)-Start of Authority-[67],first2k,test2,local.,
(same as parent folder)-Name Server-first2k.test2.local.
first2k-host-192.168.1.217

sandy7000

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 11:38:25 PM »

....Tried that, but the problem is a/d, when installed, adds records like the following image, which I'm not sure what exactly each does, so I cant just start typing these since I dont understand them.

Thanks for your info.

Thanks for being so kind.  Smiley  I'm still a bit new to AD also..  

You're right about the hosts.  I'm having issues with installing AD on my 2K3 sandbox at home.  I don't have it hooked up to the network or even a hub/switch/router, so I tried to use the hosts to add the DNS server as a static entry.

What I meant about 127.0.0.1 is that if I install a/c, it asks for dns info, if It cant find it, it will configure it and put in the tcp/ip settings 127, but if I try to manually put 127, I get an error message which I find rather odd, so I usually have to put the dns as the ip of the station itself (which is the dns server also) to resolve it properly.

Are you getting the loopback when you do nslookup?  That's when I find the loopback address.  I went into services & found DNS client running, but not DNS server.  I was unable to start the service.

My station as the 2k server as dns, a different router, and the 2k dns has forwarding for my linksys router.

It sounds, though, like we're facing separate issues at the point of the records you listed.  Those records confirm that *something* is being replicated to your server.  Might it be a router issue?

Either way, thanks for letting me think this through with you.  I learn a lot from posts like yours.  Smiley

(Regarding tools, you're right about the netdiag.  Cheesy I wish I had thought about it first. I *really* need to spend time learning how to manipulate AD & DNS tools at the command line.)
netnewsnow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:39:04 PM »

k, I managed to fix all my problems, and learned a lot about tools in the process. For the dns records, if you install your 2k3 server as its own dns, it will put in the proper records, so if your records are bad, just delete them and it will create the proper ones.

netdiag and dcdiag were really helpfull. Found them on the microsoft site.

I would not recommend host files since they seem to not work properly. I also put forwarding on my dns server to match my isp so I could access the internet.

Its okay if your not connected to the internet or anything at all (although you migth get that "your not connected" error message), even if you have your dns service installed, just dcpromo and point to your own server and it will install the proper records.

Catch me on msn netnewsnow@hotmail.com if you want to  share more info about it.

jmcuellar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:43:33 PM »

In order to promote win2k server to AD without installing DNS service, you need to enter the primary dns server ip address into the tcp/ip setting or get it from DHCP via reserved ip. Then you can promotte to AD.

The reason it prompts you to install DNS is that it cant find the DNS server on the network. Without you manually entering the dns server ip address or let dhcp assign it. The installation will install the dns service (127.0.0.1 localhost) to the server. It will create root hints for your network and you will have tons of problems.

Or you can go ahead and let the installation create the dns zone, do the promotion, remove the dns service, and repoint to the primary dns server.

Its all in a days work.

What next?
sandy7000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 10:30:53 AM »

The sad part is that I pointed the primary dns suffix to my dns server.  I also added the dns server ip address into the NIC tcp/ip properties.

Both pointed back to the 2K3 server I was on.  Example:  my box was 209.121.123.1, domain.com (suffix).  I pointed the primary dns suffix to domain.com.  I put in 209.121.123.1 in the local area connection tcp/ip props for the dns server.  My network cable was purposely unplugged at this point, so the box was all by its lonesome.

When that didn't work, I added a static entry to hosts and enabled NetBIOS as well as a static entry in the DNS tab of the tcp/ip properties.  Neither worked to get dns server running.

However, the root hints that you stated might be a place to start.  That's probably why our instructor stated to not install & uninstall dcpromo.exe.  

I'll do a google later on it.
jmcuellar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 01:09:25 PM »

Since the cable was unplugged then you wont see the primary dns server, as suggested its better to have a reserve ip assigned to your server. Then do the promotion to AD.

Secondly, if you didnt have connectivity the your promotion will also fail since during the promotion the wizard checks to see if the is any dc on the network.

Always check for connectivity. Dont input entries in dsn since if dns is enabled to do registration on behalf of clients then you will have duplicate entries.

If you had let the wizard install (if you have connectivity) dns service then you would have the promotion to AD. You have to remember that you can do that and you can also uninstall dns after the promotion since you already have a primary dns server.

What next?
netnewsnow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »

Did you manage to solve your problems sandy?

I just have 1 thing that bugs me, when I do an nslookup, I'm supposed to get the following reply:

Server:  dns1.videotron.ca
Address:  24.200.241.37

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
Address:  207.46.18.30
Aliases:  http://www.microsoft.com

instead, I get something like this:

Server:  unknown server
Address:  24.200.241.37

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
Address:  207.46.18.30
Aliases:  http://www.microsoft.com

any thoughts?

jmcuellar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 01:55:47 PM »

Your dns server isnt the name server for your domain and isnt authorative, that is why your are getting the error.

What next?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: