pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  CompTIA
| |-+  Security+
| | |-+  Considering Security+, I have a questions about study guides.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Considering Security+, I have a questions about study guides.  (Read 4132 times)
malcolmcat

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2005, 06:53:43 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering pursuing the CompTIA Security+ certification, and have a question about some of the study guides that are available.

Is there much difference between the 1st and 2nd editions of the Sybex Security+ study guides?  

I also have the ExamCram2 Security+ guide.

I just passed the MS W2K Pro exam earlier this month. I currently work at the computer help desk for a medium sized company, and am pursuing a position in the security administration department.

Frank
kk9zz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:42:35 PM »

I thought the Sybex guide 2nd edition was very good though it lacked in just a couple areas - ipsec in particualar because you need to know about ESP and AH and how to configure a firewall for them and which to use. ESP does encryption and some integrity while AH is only integrity. I also used the Wiley book. I have posted reviews on Amazon for both. I would stay with the 2nd edition.

Parts of the exam focus on questions that do not have cut and dry answers. Look for key words such as social engineering, human behaviour, security awareness, and employee training when questions arise about such subjects. --- Steve
walterbyrd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 03:57:50 PM »

I also used the wiley book, it's okay, but has tons of information that is not related to the exam.

The dummy's book IMO, is great start. It's easy to read, and well organized. It covers everything on the exam, and doesn't cover what's not on the exam.

However, I think that in most cases the dummies book, by itself, is not enough.

If I were to do it again, I'd use the dummies book, and the web to find more depth, and lots and lots of practise questions.

Everybody here would have a fit if suggested testking; so just use transcendors.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »

If using the Dummy book, make sure to download the errata file... although I suppose that is valid advice for all books, really, but it is particularly good advice for that one.

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
malcolmcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 11:57:19 PM »

I just wanted to update everyone that I am still investigating the Security+ exam. The good news is that I was offered and accepted a user security administration position with my present employer in June and started in that position in early July.

My manager has passed the CISSP exam a year or two ago, and she does encourage pursuing certification as good "skills updating/career advancement". My employer also has a re-imbursment policy for college course/continuing educations/certifications that I am hoping to use to pursue this test.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 08:54:01 AM »

that's a fabulous development. You must be very pleased. You have a great zmployer, as the majority does not offer tuition support.

Let me know if I can help with the cert!

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: