pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:46:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Problems with XP, etc.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problems with XP, etc.  (Read 1340 times)
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »

Looking for some help with these.  I have 2 machines that I'll call A & B.  Here's the probs.

A- This machine will lose it's HD.  Since it's a DELL, I have booted to the BIOS, turned on the Scroll Lock, Caps & # Lock, Pressed ALt-E, Alt-F, saved/exited and the BIOS found the HD and all was well for about 1 month.  Now, same problem.  Any ideas?

B- This XP machine will BOOT fine, but when I try to open anything, the hourglass will appear for a few seconds, then disappear and the item will not open.  This happens under any profile that I start up with.  The only time that an item will open is if I boot to SAFE MODE.  I've tried the SFC /scannow, to fix anything missing, but it didn't help.  Any thoughts?
javascript:smilie(':)')
smile
Thanks much
thecomeons
infrequent visitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 02:28:41 PM »

the second machine sounds like it's got a lot of background processes running.

run msconfig and delete a lot of stuff.

run hijackthis.

i couldn't get it up until i visited examnotes.net
DaPunisher
Pasta Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 12:40:56 AM »

1.  See if Dell has a BIOS update for your machine and check to see if there are any known issues with the make/model HDD you currently have.

2. Do you have a popup blocker installed? When was the last time you did a virus/spyware scan?

BestTests.com- New and improved forums!  Practice exams for A+, Network+ MCDST, MCSE, CCNA and more!