pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Programming Forum
| | |-+  C++ or C#
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: C++ or C#  (Read 3476 times)
acruth7284

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »

Hello all,

I myself like to do programming in my free time/in between certification tests and have been introduced to VB. Net through college coursework. However my college does not offer C++ or C#, and after dealing with VB, I would like to play with one of these languages (if not both). What I would like to know is would it be better to get the basics down with C++ or just jump ahead to C#? I don't plan on this being a main point in my career, as I am trying to become a network admin, but these type of skills never hurt and I enjoy programming immensly. Also, what books would you recommend to get me started from the ground up on these languages? Oh, and the I will be using the Visual Studio .Net 2003 to learn this (if that matters at all). Thanks in advance for the advice.
mindmesh
Spit Fire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »

Never touched C# but I like C++. I'd say C++ or C. Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do with it. Someone told me if you can program in C you can program in anything.

I take no responsibility for the offensive nature of this post.. If you take offense I am sorry, but honestly don't give a damn. All rights reserved!!
acruth7284

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 12:25:01 AM »

I believe that has been said about every program language on the market. What it basically comes down to is that once you know the programming logic, it is just a matter of applying the language to your program. Which I noticed made learning HTML a complete breeze since I already new VB.
ecunupe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 12:46:16 AM »

I am currently taking an advanced VB.Net course and after talking with my instructor he was stating that there is not a lot of difference when it comes to C#. I would recommend that as you will probably just add brackets and semicolons to your code Cheesy
ChrisDfer
Certified Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »

Learn COBOL. Wink
acruth7284

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 12:37:10 AM »

I think that I am gonna go with C++. C# may be easier with my VB experience, but it is also locked down to Windows from what I have read. I am also considering Java. Anyone else know of any good books to learn C++ or Java from scratch?
ChrisDfer
Certified Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 02:49:25 AM »

Originally posted by acruth7284
I think that I am gonna go with C++. C# may be easier with my VB experience, but it is also locked down to Windows from what I have read. I am also considering Java. Anyone else know of any good books to learn C++ or Java from scratch?

I read through C++ From the Ground Up; it was pretty good. You will probably also want the C++ Complete Reference, it isn't something to learn by, but it is a great reference. Which is why I suppose they called  C++ complete Reference and not the "Why John Cena Screws Sheep Book"....
F.N.G

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 12:30:21 PM »

Originally posted by mindmesh
Never touched C# but I like C++. I'd say C++ or C. Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do with it. Someone told me if you can program in C you can program in anything.

I agree...but ansi C first and then the incremented version...C++ go to http://computer.howstuffworks.com/c.htm and click on the printable version in the programming section(so you can easily   scroll down) they have these helpful applets too..well its basic but a good place to start.

'When a feint ain't..booya!!!'~flagran
F.N.G

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:36:45 PM »

well it's an old thread so what the hell it's stayed up this long lol

acruth7284

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 02:38:27 PM »

It may beold but I still check back. Thanks for the link and advice, I'll check it out.
F.N.G

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »

...oh I forgot, go for micro$oft's visual C++
why?....because it will compile both ansi C and C++ code...so you get two compilers in one. Also their compiler error messages(debugging) is not so cryptic as the others..down side is that it does'nt come cheap...well good luck!!!

b.t.w heres another link as you progress with ansi C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

/*....this is very detailed sheesh!!!*/

acruth7284

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 03:15:25 AM »

I have the entire Visual Studio .NET Suite...legit. It is good to be a student! I will definitiely check it out if I ever get a moment...*still waiting*
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: