pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  PC takes up to 20 min to function
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PC takes up to 20 min to function  (Read 2742 times)
andryn

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2005, 06:12:04 PM »

My friends PC, more often than not, won't fully boot up to display desktop until after around 20 minutes of warm restarts. Everything seems to be starting up ok until screen locks or solid coloured screen. When finally decides to work, everything ok.

Any suggestions? Thought about battery for clock or dodgy solder joint, though not got to look at motherboard yet.
rmarrero
Ghost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:58:59 AM »

Probably conflicting devices! Maybe you have 2 sound cards and both are enabled or same senario. Disable any of the two. Sometimes, this takes alot of detection time and often overlooked. Try checking this first and as much as possible, avoid messing with your motherboard.
TheShadow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:23:08 AM »

Can't forget a system trying to phone home on the internet because you have been zombied.  You might want to check for lots of new files with the same size but different names;  often hidden files in the windows OS directory tree. Also a look around memory with a copy of HijackThis.  You should be able to find it at http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
yanqui
still here...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:59:30 PM »

You didn't specify anything about the PC, but the obvious first step is to see what all the computer is trying to start up from GO.  When you turn it on, how long does it take to get through the POST?  HOw long does it take to get to the Windows splash screen?  How much longer from that splash screen to full user interface?  That could tell you where the problem is.  Try timing and get back to us, and watch the process on the screen as well and try to write down anything unusual that you see on the screen while the machine is booting.

still here...
evilkid
The lost one

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »

Maybe its something simple like to many startup tasks. I've seen it happen a few times, but don't take my word for it :rolleyes:

In the Light I was dark. Perhaps in the Dark I will be light.

well Horrah for the sounds of F***in silence.

I'm sorry. Did I blow your brains out?

Can't we all just get along? And if not, what ever happened to settling arguments with a 12 gauge shotgun?
yanqui
still here...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:29 PM »

Originally posted by evilkid
Maybe its something simple like to many startup tasks. I've seen it happen a few times, but don't take my word for it :rolleyes:

That's one of the things I was thinking, too, and that's why I asked how long it took to complete each phase of the boot.  Those startup items would slow down the Windows loading process, but not the POST process, so the timing would give a yea (or maybe)or nay on that.

still here...
evilkid
The lost one

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »

Oh. Sorry then. My bad Smiley

Can't we all just get along? And if not, what ever happened to settling arguments with a 12 gauge shotgun?
andryn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:24:39 PM »

Thanks for your help everyone.

Sorry I haven't got back to you with information, I have just had the most painful chest infection you can imagine.  My wife was worried because i couldn't even turn on the computer!

With that, I haven't been able to get to said friends computer since posting but will do so as soon as I can.

Regards. B
evilkid
The lost one

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »

Hope you start feeling better. Never had a chest infection, but I bet it hurts like salt in a 2 inch cut. Anyways, get better soon. its not fun being sick. And life not fun is bad. Cheesy

kilz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 03:52:11 AM »

maybe its a D link product especially if its using 98 had a D link usb wirless net product. would lock up freeze just after the bios post, and antwere inbetween were windows would finish loading to the desk top. D links solution to a bad driver leave it unplugged until windows 98 finished booting.even though on their web site and the box said supports win 98.dug alittle deeper found out alot of people were having the same problem.although Dlink stated it worked on their 98 machinme.it worked on one machine good driver.my solution  get rid of dlink products. but it can be alot of things in windows  personally disable everything but the nessacary item to make windows function and reinstall cards one by one and  turn on only the things you want to run on start up.
rkc1_98

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 08:06:54 AM »

Can you confirm what version of Windows your friends PC is running.  Have you tried starting windows in safe mode?  Has there been any new software installed or hardware?  Has there been any new hardware drivers installed?  Have you tried to start windows with Step By Step Confirmation (press F8 on boot up to get to the startup menu, )(95/98).

Rob
-------------------------------------
MCP - Win NT Wks,Server,Enterprise,
Win 2000 Prof & Server
EllenD2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 07:27:45 PM »

Have you tried START, RUN, type in msconfig,
choose Startup Tab and uncheck everything
that is not part of the Microsoft
operating system?
Pages: [1] Print