pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 07:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  CompTIA
| |-+  Server +
| | |-+  server antivirus
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: server antivirus  (Read 2620 times)
mawwoods

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »

I am planning to install windows 2003 SBE server at home. It's a bit excessive for a home network, but I need to get very familiar with it as I will be extensively using it later elsewhere.

Anyway, my question is on antivirus. So far as I know standard antivirus programs do not work on servers. As it is just for home use at the moment, I don't want to spend huge amounts of $$$ on a coporate level antivirus program, when a very basic level of protection would do. Any suggestions on what I could use to protect it without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
mawwoods

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 01:28:58 PM »

Solved it myself....

There are a lot of enterprse anti virus software out, and when you see licences starting at a minimum of 20 users it gets a bit scary.

AVG do a licence for a file server for 5 users, for a price that is acceptable for me.

I haven't tried them yet, so would be interested in any opinions or suggested alternatives....

Hope that helps for anyone else looking.
mawwoods

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »

continuing my monologue:

just found a web page detailing how to use server 2003 as a workstation. It seems to detail desktop anti virus packages that will work on windows 2003 server.

Obviously the coverage will not be as comprehensive, but if you are using it in a desktop/test capacity I guess it does not matter to much.

The site is 'microsoft forum software network', just type in windows server 2003, and the article is top of the list.

Using server 2003 as a workstation.....bizzare huh?
chunder
bleh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:09:45 PM »

sure, you can pretty much use any Windows server OS as a workstation and I don't recall any AV package that wouldn't install on a server OS... as a matter of fact, i installed McAfee AV on a 2003 server 2 nights ago.

What it comes down to is if you want the added managability of what a server package provides you. At work I have SAVCE (Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition) installed on a server, then the workstation client on all the PCs and they are managed back to that server. I can then manage all 1000+ workstations remotely through that server (an MMC interface). I can check the version of the client, the virus defs on each, which PC has a virus or not, etc etc.

chunder
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: