pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  70-216
| | |-+  Network Problem?? Help!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Network Problem?? Help!  (Read 4694 times)
Beatle
Shake it up!

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 07:58:51 AM »

Hello!

I hope someone could give me a hand in this matter.

I have a small Windows 2003 Server network configured as a Domain. The Domain Controller also acts as a DNS and DHCP.

Now the problem: Some computers on the network can access a particular Website with no problems, and 2 others cannot access the Website, they can't even do a Ping or Tracert. But these 2 computers don't have any problem to browse the Internet or our network, just that particular site.

Does anyone know what is happening in this scenario?

Thanks
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:45:55 AM »

Sounds like their DNS cache may be holding incorrect data about that website.

get on the machines and go to the command line and type
ipconfig /flushdns

Hope that helps.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
Beatle
Shake it up!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:46:32 PM »

Hello! Thanks for your help, curiousgeorge and john cena.  

Answering your posts, I can say that I've tried the ipconfig /flushdns suggestion from curiousgeorge, and I also have deleted the browser temp files before. Neither solution solved the problem.

All the PCs here run Windows XP Pro, and one of the PCs (as mine) cannot access that particular website, but the user, in a dial-up connection at his home can access the site normally.

I have done a tracert to that site on my machine, and from the 11th to 30th hop I have timeouts. Remember, the browsers in my machine and in the other one cannot show the Website. Then I made a tracert at our server and I had the same results as the tracert on my machine, but the Internet explorer at the server shows the website!

I really can't figure it out! It may be a simple solution, but I don't know which one.  Any other suggestions?

I use mostly Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, and neither one shows the site on my machine and the other user machine.

Thanks for the help!

Smiley
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 12:12:42 AM »

have you tried connecting using only the ip address?

from a machine that can access the site, determine the actual IP address. Then use it instead of the name.

This should help determine if it is a name issue (DNS) vs. connectivity.

Also you could try using nslookup to determine if multiple IP addresses are resolving to the same name, some of the addresses may not be reachable.

IF it is a site that you can talk to the administrator, try to find out if they are using multiple gateways or routers on their end. IF they are then they may have a problem they are not aware of.
Ngittins

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 07:17:58 AM »

Have the IP and Domain name Resrictions checked in the IIS - Check IPSEC, Security templates and another one that I've come across with 2003 is trusted zones in IE - check the GPO in AD - Security zones and Content Ratings under user configuration yada yada yada...
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 04:58:35 PM »

As far as the tracert timing out, the other company may be blocking ping requests on their routers. That's why you get the request timed out response. We block ping requests on our network.

Try going into Internet Explorer and list that website as a Trusted Site. (Tools - Internet Options... - Security tab)

See if that changes anything.

Hope that helps.

btw, what does your browser do/say when you try to reach the site? Does it just give you the basic 404 error message?

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
jmcuellar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »

I had a similar problem accessing http://www.walmart.com via home lan with win2000 server domain. After a few weeks, I was able to access. I didnt do anything to resolve the address. I think it was a problem with the external dns servers from my ISP.

What next?
Maxxym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 05:29:19 PM »

Go to dns console and clear cache from dns.

See if that works.

future MCSE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: