pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  Read only!!!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Read only!!!  (Read 1953 times)
adam salam
IT Fan

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 09:56:44 AM »

hi mate Smiley

in a small LAN 15 PCs, 1 w3k server, working in Workgroup environment, the data files and folders are located in the system drive C: of the w3k server and mirrored.

when I came to this company I noticed that all that folders and files are "read only", I tryed to change that attribute with no avail.
each time it turns back the previous state "Read only".

anyway, I moved all the data to another partition in the same HD in order to be able to change that attribute with no avail also.

are there any new feature in w3k preventing from doing that.

thank you

Best Regards
Adam
ecunupe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:49:49 AM »

This feature is there by design. If you looke at any folder in %systemroot%\windows you will see this as read-only. The only thing you need to worry about is permissions.
adam salam
IT Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 06:23:38 AM »

Now we have another problem :mad:

when someone open any file like excel file and edit it, can not save the edited file, and asked to save a temp copy of that file, when choose OK, windows save a file with no extension!!!

also can not delete that temp file: access denied

any idea please

Best Regards
Adam
RussS
radical dood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 06:56:01 AM »

Sounds like you have some serious access controls there Wink

Go hard or go home!
ecunupe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 10:38:19 PM »

How is this file being accessed. Is it being accessed via DFS or a regular network share? I would look at the KB as it could be an issue with excel. I have seen this. Also if it is in DFS then we can get access denied if someone or something else has a handle on the opened file. I would use filemon from sysinternals to see what has a handle on the file when you receive access is denied.
adam salam
IT Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 09:21:07 AM »

Originally posted by ecunupe
How is this file being accessed. Is it being accessed via DFS or a regular network share? I would look at the KB as it could be an issue with excel. I have seen this. Also if it is in DFS then we can get access denied if someone or something else has a handle on the opened file. I would use filemon from sysinternals to see what has a handle on the file when you receive access is denied.

No DFS
regular network share, simply workgroup environment.

anyway, after coping all folders back to C: , they work.

I suspect one thing;  they are using an old DOS based program, for account process, I think it makes these problems, what do you think?

Best Regards
Adam
ecunupe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 08:20:15 PM »

That could be a possibility. I have seen instances when another program has access to a file, ie backup software or something else, where this will put the file in a locked state and thus cause it to be read-only.
mmgm76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »

We had an instance just a couple of weeks back where after applying a particular MS Vulnerability patch, a small third party "disk quota" tool our server team had running began locking all data file access in similar fashion.  After locking down a particular service they were able to isolate the issue.  Try the elimination process and you'll hopefully find what's happening.
adam salam
IT Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 03:48:57 AM »

Originally posted by mmgm76
We had an instance just a couple of weeks back where after applying a particular MS Vulnerability patch, a small third party "disk quota" tool our server team had running began locking all data file access in similar fashion.  After locking down a particular service they were able to isolate the issue.  Try the elimination process and you'll hopefully find what's happening.

Well, I actually suspect backup software bundled with an external HD

SimpleDrive, StorageSync :mad:

Best Regards
Adam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: